“Comfortable stay but find somewhere else to dine”

Town & Country Inn and Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Reviewed December 9, 2013

A cute family spot. This is our second stay at the Town and Country Inn. We like to visit Santa’s Village in December and it’s tough to find a hotel in the area with an indoor pool for the kids. The rooms are average sized and are clean, which for me is the most important thing. Our room had 2 double beds and we requested a roll-away for my son. The roll-away was nice because it was a twin sized bed not your average fold up cot. The pool area was nice, a little small but very clean and comfortable. They also have a steam room and sauna which I haven’t found at many of the northern NH hotels. The prices are fantastic and the staff was courteous. My only con for the hotel is their onsite restaurant. First let me say its super cute. It’s has a nice retro look to it, like a 60’s ball room. Its cozy and the staff are very friendly and seem like they’ve worked there for years. The food was just not good at all. I ordered the lobster ravioli in a Gorgonzola sauce. The plate came out with 7 lg ravioli. The consistency I would guess is frozen. The filling tasted like past due salmon more than fresh lobster. The sauce was OK, nothing fancy but OK. I was hungry so I picked off the kid's plates and was even disappointed by theirs. Frozen chicken fingers and fries, and what might have been Stouffers frozen French bread pizza. My husband ordered the seafood Alfredo and commented that his sauce tasted like generic jar sauce. For such a cute place and a nice hotel I’d like to see these guys step up their kitchen so they can start earning better ratings.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Scott L, Owner at Town & Country Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room and the amenities. We regret however, to hear about your experience in our dining room. We strive to improve every aspect of the guests experience and your feedback helps us achieve this. We have since changed the lobster ravioli dish and are planning to reveal a new menu within the next few weeks. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Let me start by saying we called the hotel to make our reservations.
Requested to have rooms close to the pool and to be by our friends.
We received adjoining rooms. BUT we got the last rooms at the end the farthest away from the pool.
I am not talking a shot distance. We were also on the
Second floor , no elevators. Not fun when carrying luggage...

The indoor pool was freezing cold, and the Jacuzzi was something you would find in
someone's basement, 4 person hot tub! Seriously it was awful.

The room was good size, bed fairly comfortable. The décor of the room absolutely
awful. Dark brown curtains , brown wallpaper simply drab and not a feel good feel at all.
The rungs on the chairs were covered with dust.

I have read the other reviews, I don't understand how they could rate this place a 5. WOW.

The restaurant was excellent. However this is in a different building. You have to go outside to get to it. Also the front desk is in the same building as the restaurant.

Room Tip: I would suggest a different hotel. But if you are set on staying here. 1st floor close to the poo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Scott L, Owner at Town & Country Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I noticed you visited the T&C on our 2 nights for the price of 1 getaway weekend. You asked for adjoining rooms, which you received, but were to far away from the pool. If it was to far, why didn't you ask for something closer? We would have done our best to get you closer to the pool The only thing I can agree with you is that the pool water was colder than normal, as the pool are had been closed for ten days prior getting a new roof, painting the ceiling and the pool itself along with other maintenance. On Friday morning the temp was almost 80 degrees, and we usually keep it at 86. Regarding our Jacuzzi, a new one was put in about 1 year ago and we receive many compliments on it.
Our hotel is not a typical new box hotel with 4 stories and a dining room on the main floor, so perhaps we were not what you had anticipated. So many negative comments and the only thing you mention about our dining room, besides being excellent, is that you had to go to another building to get to it. Good luck in the future!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Town & Country Motor Inn Resort in Gorham, NH. The staff were polite and friendly, and the food excellent and mountainous. The whole thing reminded me of stepping back into the 50s – not that the hotel was down at heal, but the style of the building. I found it very quaint, and could imagine the big old 1950s American cars that would have pulled into the car park in the day. There were drinks and snacks served in the bar in the afternoon, and we had some excellent cocktails before dinner.

The hotel is in a perfect place to explore the White Mountains National Park, which is stunningly beautiful.

Our first morning were woken a bit early by some noise from a coach party leaving. No fault of the hotel, but a little annoying. That aside, an excellent choice.

Room Tip: A room at the back may be a little quieter. The front rooms have a great view, but they're on th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from NH. Thank you for writing this positive review. The layout of our hotel is a result of over 50 years of ownership by my family. Additions to the buildings were done in increments, thus the unique layout. We are pleased that you enjoyed our lounge and dining room. Since you enjoyed the area and our hotel, we sure do hope to see you again. Cheers!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Second time here, and somehow got the same room. Still clean, still quiet. Room faced the highway, but trucks going by were not a disturbance. Heard one train, but all motels in town are as close to the tracks or closer. No continental breakfast, because they have full restaurant on premises.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for staying with us again and we are pleased to hear that you were comfortable with your accommodations. Perhaps on your next visit, you can try our recreational facilities and our dining room. Thank you again!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were enroute travelling back into Canada when we came across this gem of a place. The room was dated and served it's purpose, however the service and food at the restaurant was surprisingly excellent. The pool, hot tub and steam room were a bonus.The restaurant was the best feature with exceptional quality for a reasonable price. Good qualityfod.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the kind comments and we are pleased you found us on Route 2. We work very hard to make our guests feel welcome and it was nice to hear that you enjoyed our leisure facilities and our dining room. We hope to see you visit us again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at the T&C while visiting family in Berlin. There was some confusion at the outset as 2 rooms had been booked and paid for on Expedia. At check in, I registered one room in my name and they took my credit card. At check out, they realized I had been "charged" for the room with the pet fee and had to undo and reprocess both charges. All the while, Expedia had been paid for the rooms... I guess the clerk was new. The process was very speedy though!
We had asked for ajoining rooms and were told they weren't ajoining, but were "right next to each other". Ummm....yes, if you don't count the 5 feet of steps you have to climb to get to the room next door as it was up a partial level. It worked out for us as we were not a family traveling with small children or needing a connecting door, but had that been the case, it would have been a problem.
My biggest complaint aside from old, worn decor, was the incredibly thin mattresses. I don't think even the basic twin mattresses I've purchased at warehouse stores for my kids beds were this flimsy/thin. No padding, very soft springs and covered with a thin felt type mattress cover that lay under the sheet, but not over the edges of the mattress. Fortunately it was only 3 nights, but needless to say, probably the worst mattress I've slept on. The bathroom was adequate, if not dated. Towels were small and thin, but again, it was just myself and I could use 2.
Staff, especially housekeeping was attentive and courteous. We were able to check in upon arrival, but clearly housekeeping was not done cleaning rooms yet. They seem to do all of the Sunday checkouts at once in kind of an assembly line fashion. We arrived to piles of dirty bedding up and down the halls and staff hard at work. Despite this, we were not asked to wait until official check in time, and the housekeeping staff arrived with towels fresh out of the dryer as soon as they could. They also hung a bag with fresh towels on the door the next morning when I hung the do not disturb sign. The ice machine was handy, although you needed to use a room key to dispense ice (a first for me). Our rooms had both and interior and exterior entrance, and we both had trouble with our keys not working on one or the other door at some point.
Internet service was spotty at best, and that is being generous. We both ended up using our own hotspots on our cell phones.
We didn't use the restaurant facilities, but the prices looked fantastic and the food smelled great. The pool was near our room, and seemed to be in good shape. No elevators, so hauling suitcases up and down the stairs was unexpected, but doable. The view out the windows of the trees was fabulous, and on the front side you had the golf course view.
Aside from the front desk glitches, thin uncomfortable mattresses, outdated flooring and poor internet connections, the place worked for our needs and the location was great!

Room Tip: If you have difficulty carrying your suitcase up stairs, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. While I am not quite sure of how the check-in was handled, I do know that when booking online, you cannot specify adjoining or adjacent, so pardon us for them not being exactly side by side, with the layout of that building, that is what we have. You were more than welcomed to ask for a change. Check-in is normally 3 pm, so if the housekeepers were still working, you probably arrived before the normal check in time, so pardon us for trying to get you into your room early. We are constantly changing mattresses, if anything, I get comments that they are to hard! Again, we would have happily moved your room to make you more comfortable.
The ice machine dispenser has a key card to help eliminate non hotel guests taking ice and it has worked well.
We are continually updating the hotel to make our guests more comfortable and I am sorry for not meeting your standards, but after 3 nights, it would have been helpful to our hotel to let us know our shortcomings.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place was really an all around great stop on our fall leaf peeping trip. we traveled with our little dog and they were very accomodating. the restaurant was fantastic for breakfast and dinner. The bar had a "happy hour with hot treats and the prices were great.The location gies you easy access to the Mt. Washington Valley and the Franconia Notch areas along Route 302. if you go twenty two miles in the other direction you can see Bethel and the Sunday River areas. We went home along Route 26 and found a new casino in Oxford,Maine.
If you want a nice clean fun place give it a try. There is also an indoor pool, steam room and gym. very nice owners and a very nice place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Scott L, Owner at Town & Country Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for the write up and we are happy you found us. We are glad we were able to offer pet friendly accommodations and are thrilled you enjoyed our food and beverage service. We hope you will recommend the Town & Country to your friends and family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Royalty Inn
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
The Bethel Inn Resort
Northern Peak Motor Inn

Been to Town & Country Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!