“Diamond in the Rough”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed here overnight after spending the day at Mt. Washington. When you drive up, you might be a little concerned, as it is an old-fashioned outdoor motel. However, when you walk into the "lobby", all the concerns immediately dissipate. This is a well-run, totally updated motel. The rooms were very nicely decorated with a modern, "city" feel. Not at all what you'd expect. The beds are new and comfortable. The carpet is new and clean. However, the bathroom is very small, and the shower curtain smelled a bit moldy. If you are a light sleeper, there is some traffic noise (#2), and a train rolls through at night. Front desk was helpful and told us a great place to eat (Mr. Pizza - sounds cheesy, but was really good.) All around great place to stay in an area that is populated predominantly by motels. It was also the only motel that had a full parking lot!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room nearer the center of the complex...we were in #2, right off the road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here for one night before heading to Mt. Washington. Front desk staff was pleasant and offered helpful suggestions as to where to eat. Room was comfortable, if a bit small. The bathroom is especially on the tiny side - neither of us are big people, but both of us felt cramped with the toilet - walls very close on either side. We didn't use the pool, but it seemed popular. Location is close to everything - we walked into town and watched the sun set on the mountains.

toronto
Reviewed June 23, 2012

i chose this hotel after reading about it on-line. i stayed two nights, and really should have checked out after the first one... the location is terrible, at the intersection of two highways, with a stoplight; and train tracks. if you stay here expect the sounds of lots of truck traffic.
my room, #5, had a dreadful hotel smell that never went totally away. there was no hot water in the morning (7am) though was ok in the afternoon.
on the positive side, the bed was comfortable, the housekeeping was good, and the owner seems like a nice guy. and yes, i should have made my concerns known to him. my second nite there it was fully booked, so it is popular; however, i would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Mt Madison Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
We are truly sorry about your stay not being what you expected. We take great pride in making sure our customers are 110% happy while staying with us. It is a fact that we and all our competitors are located on Main street and that some people may be more sensitive to traffic than others, however based on prior customer reviews of their stay here with us, you can clearly see our prior customers have enjoyed their stay with us. As for the hot water, your 100% right, we did have a problem with the hot water demand, however I can assure you and our future customers this will never happen again. One thing I’ve learned in the hotel business, no one should have to take a cold shower. To fix this problem I have purchased another 200 gallon storage tank to offset the hot water demand. Problem solved.
For the second issue about the room not smelling good? We do not use chemicals, perfumes or other products to mask any odors in our rooms, my mother always said if your room is clean you shouldn’t need to mask it with perfumes or chemicals, It will smell clean! We have always valued her opinion! I have Inspected this room from top to bottom and have found nothing, This room has been booked for the last 11 days straight and I have ask and called prior customers to see if they had the same issue and none of our prior customers have complained, they actually said everything was wonderful!
So all I can say to our future customers is that some people may be more sensitive to smells and noise than others, with that in mind, please come to the front desk if you are experiencing any problems with your room and we will do our utmost to make you 110% happy, so that reviews such as this one can be handled before you leave disappointed.
Thanks for your review; you have made a difference in resolving any future problems at Mt Madison Inn & Suites.
Ron & Ashley/Owners
Goshen, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I was very impressed with everything about this place. The room was immaculate and very well decorated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I will definitely go back here.

1 Thank Asciara9
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had quite a disappointing start but in the end turned out to be a great place to stay.

I booked this motel from Australia through TravelHero and paid them a booking fee. Part way through my 3 month holiday in the US, TravelHero said that the price I had paid was wrong ($50) and it should have been $90. They said if I didn't pay the extra money per night (for 2 nights) then they would cancel my reservation.

As you can imagine I was not happy about this as I had paid in full and in good faith. TravelHero cancelled my reservation so I called the motel from Kansas and said I wasn't happy about what happened. The owner was very understanding. In the end I paid an extra $5 a night and had a very nice stay. The owner told me he won't use TravelHero again as they made the mistake.

The motel is very close to all the White Mountains attractions including Mt Washington Cog Railway, Flume, Cannon Mountain aerial tram etc.

I'd like to recommend Mt Madison Inn - rooms are spotless - and thank the owner for his consideration of my situation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Windham, Connecticut
Reviewed June 3, 2012

It is very apparent the owner Ron cares about making your stay at his Inn a good one with clean and comfortable rooms. If you are in the area you owe to yourself to stay at this Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Doug M
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This is our 3rd visit to the inn and we were surprised to see and experience all the NEW UPGRADES, they are AWESOME!!! The new pillow top mattresses, pillows and linens were so comfortable we didn't want to get out of bed. The earth tone decor and new furnishings were classy, beautiful and functional. I especially appreciated the larger refrigerator, I was able to put 2 gallons of water along with meals and snacks for lunches and we still had room for leftovers. The owner Ron and his staff are the nicest people we are so looking forward to our next trip in August!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ATVCheryl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Royalty Inn
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,353 reviews

Been to Mt Madison Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!