“An amazing value and a comfortable, fun experience”

Colonial Fort Inn/Hikers Paradise
Colonial Fort Inn/Hikers Paradise
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We have stayed here several times and have always had a clean, warm, comfortable room with plenty of hot water in our whirlpool tub. Our kids love the multitude of channels on the TV and we all love the amazing breakfast before a day of skiing! The poached eggs are the best I have had and our kids often ask us for "Bruno's eggs" after we get home. The owners/hosts are very hospitable and concerned with our comfort. I believe they offer the best price in town and the accommodations are a great value for what we paid. We enjoy visiting with the owner, who is a ski instructor and racer, and sharing skiing stories from all over the world. You won't get any schmalz here but you will enjoy a comfortable room for a great value. We will surely return again and again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Amy T

Reviewed May 22, 2012

I believe that when one is in Gorham, it's not for a Polo game. This place is exactly what one needs when hiking, skiing or camping. Simple, clean and inexpensive, this motel is a good choice for a quick pit stop along the way. The owner and host is fluent in a few languages and if you care for a chat with him, you might learn a thing or two. Seeing new places and meeting interesting people is really the point of it all. Cheers!

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Jarek K
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at Colonial Fort Inn/Hikers Paradise 4 times during my hiking weekends. Good place on hiking in summer and skiing in winter. Comfortable bed, clean linen, shower with hot water, wi-fi, cable TV, AC - more than adequate for price I paid. Breakfast is not included but available (delicious french toast with maple syrup, yum yum). Very friendly owners who lived in many countries and speak English, Spanish, Portuguese, Bahasa Indonesian and Polish. It's fun to meet people who speak your language in American Mountains!
4 stars for owners' hospitality and multilingualism.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank wisona
Reviewed May 14, 2012

If you are looking for luxury, drive on. But if you want the best price in town, Colonial Comfort Inn is it! It offers two types of rooms: small "budget" rooms with showers only, and, larger ones with whirlpool baths in which we always stay. Clean, more than adequate accommodations for the price paid. We, meaning myself and my husband or my husband and his fellow skiers, stayed at the Inn several times. It's a great location for skiing Wildcat, Attitash or Sunday River. We also enjoyed hearty breakfasts, good home-cooking at the additional inexpensive fare. Service is very friendly and the owner, in his authentic Slavic accent, offers his clients plenty of valuable advisory information on skiing and hiking as well as treats them to an occasional funny joke. The "spider story" related by the "cheap" lady is far flung: we've never spend a sleepless night any place in New England terrorized by a spider!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GrazynaS116
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I've been staying there regularly in the winter since 2005 as my husband and I are avid skiers and frequent Wildcat Mt. and Mt. Washington. We always enjoy our stay, finding the owners accomodating and fun to talk to. We are fine with the no-frills rooms as we need a low cost option to pursue our mountain pass times. The rooms are always clean, warm, comfortable and there is always plenty of hot water. In the event that anything has ever been amiss, the owners have made it right immediately. We'll be back next season!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VickiAuburn_ME
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I am not one to write reviews, but I could not help writing this one after seeing all the terrible comments. This place is great if you are looking for an inexpensive stay before going hiking or skiing! The rooms are just fine - it's not luxurious and it is not advertised as such. You are getting a hot shower, clean comfortable bed and a quiet place to rest before heading out to play in the wild... I can't see much to complain about that. To the lady (packhawk) who wrote a long awful review - first of all, if you spent time speaking to the proprietor, you would find out he is Eastern European and no, his accent is not fake... he actually serves a great breakfast (better cooking than Dunkin Donuts for sure - I had steak and eggs...) and he is very warm hearted. He gives rides to hikers so they can get to the mountains without hitchhiking and if you spent time chatting with him, he has some pretty excellent stories. He's an amazing ski instructor, traveler and handyman. And oh -the spider you saw, if that's the 'worst thing ever' then how do you handle even spending time hiking? Regardless, this place is overall awesome for the price, boasts a fun, quirky owner and some good home cooking. I've stayed here countless times before hiking Mt. Adams or skiing Wildcat and found everything just fine.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank maliB8
Reviewed May 11, 2012

It's located close to Mount Washington and Wildcat Ski Area, making it an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts. The rates are great and the rooms are perfectly adequate. Great for no frills travelers who are looking for a place to stay for a night or two. Also, if you're fueling up for a long hike on the Appalachian Trail then you cant beat the hiker's breakfast.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family