“great place, great staff”
Review of Top Notch Inn

Top Notch Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Whenever I'm back in NH I try to stay at the Top Notch. Great location, great rooms, andof course Nordi the greeting dog. Bonus,it's within walking distance of great restaurants as well. Altho it is on Main street, the rooms are quiet and nicely decorated. Not quite sure why other reviewers pick on the towels. I always feel safe and secure parking my motorcycle there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
TopNotchInnMgmt, Manager at Top Notch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you for the great review Cathy! We know you frequent Gorham from time to time, and we’re flattered you choose us! We appreciate the business, and hope to see you again soon~

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed at the Inn and the person that checked me in was very pleasant and helpful this was the first time I stayed there and I would stay again. I was only able to stay for the night had to leave early in am so couldn't use the pool or hot tub but hopefully will return in the future and use those things. Its located close by the stores and restaurants which is very convienant. I would recommend this place of what I saw of it on my short stay. Tammy D.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Tammy: Thank you for the compliments about the Top Notch Inn!
We’re happy that you chose us, and enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the recommendation also! Please come back and visit again!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We rode our motorcycles up there and had pre-booked the place (our friends did the booking) and our first impression was that the pictures of the rooms that were on their website we NOT of the rooms we had. All were the basic motel rooms, but with dark panelling, not the bright rooms in the pictures. There was a heavy smell of Febreeze in the rooms, but the other couples said theirs was musty/moldy. But ours was clean and neat. The towels were fairly thin, a complaint some others had. The bed sagged in the middle, evidence of an old mattress. No bedbugs. But here's where the owner will know who this review is from: the alarm clock went off at midnight...an oversite of housekeeping to check to make sure the alarm isn't pre-set to wake up guests when they don't want to. Then around 2 am the smoke detector started chirping that it needed a new battery (and it was a very old smoke detector: the plastic was old and yellowed). I checked and it was one of those that is hard wired and the battery was a 9V (I don't carry batteries on vacation with me, much less a 9-volt), and so I didn't want to disconnect it and risk setting off the alarm for the whole hotel. I tried calling the hotel number but only got an answering machine. Got dressed and went to the front office: no phone number to call. As the chirp was very loud, we ended up getting no sleep (the rock hard pillows offered no sound-proofing). When I went to the office in the a.m, the woman at the desk said that they don't post an emergency number because the owner doesn't want frivolous calls. She said I should have called the police as they would have known to call the maintenance man, who would have come from another town to fix the problem. I asked how in the heck would I have known to call the police, much less know their local non-911 number? It probably would have brought the whole fire department, sirens and all, waking everyone for miles. When I asked for my money back, she would initially only give me a 50% discount on the room saying that we used the place and housekeeping would still have to clean it, but after I asked again for 100% of my money back, she capitulated to 75%. I felt like I was on a reality show, bartering with her. So I accepted her offer and drove off wearily into the sunrise. I called the next day and asked for the owner. She recognized who I was and started apologizing profusely for my miserable night as she had gone to the room and realized how loud the chirp was and had already refunded me the last 25% of my bill. She was so nice and sincere the second day, I had only wished she was that nice the first day. Anyway, the other two couples hated their rooms, felt they were musty/moldy and wouldn't touch the place again. I'm sort of shocked by the great reviews, but I only gave this place a 2-circle rating because of how nicely I was treated--on the second encounter.

Room Tip: Don't expect anything close to a good chain hotel. The best rooms are by the main road, the bas...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Travelinman6969, Owner at Top Notch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Previous guests reviews are evidence that we are a contentious, clean & updated establishment. We understand you are upset with the unfortunate experience you had. We have taken this opportunity to make improvements to prevent nothing like this happens again.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at the Top Notch Inn and loved every minute of our stay. The staff was so pleasant and helpful. We stayed in the Mt. Adams room which we really enjoyed because of the privacy. The pool and spa were great! The accessibility to Mt. Washington was a plus! We would definitely return for another visit!

Room Tip: The rooms on the outside perimeter (we stayed in the Mt Adams) afford a great amount of privacy with...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Travelinman6969, General Manager at Top Notch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope you can return again for another visit soon :-)

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I choose this Inn due to it is close to entrance of auto road to Mt Washington for sunrise view. However, I was very dispointed of the towel in bathroom and they need to be replaced or bleached, because they are yellow. We were surprised it is close to cemetery, which is kind of creepy. Compare with other hotel, motel and Inn, the price is too high.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Thank Adrian Bilbo Ba... C
Travelinman6969, General Manager at Top Notch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

We appreciate your perspective and comments. The Top Notch Inn is fortunate to be one of the closest motels to the Mt Washington Auto Road. As for the towels, we are a certified green establishment. One of the prerequisites to be certified is that we do not use harsh chemicals including bleach. We switched to beige towels that some may call light yellow in order to be more earth friendly. The cemetery is diagonally across from us and most don't notice it's there since it's hidden by lilacs and other nice landscaping.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is our second stay at the Top Notch Inn, they have a really wonderful staff. Friendly, helpful people who go beyond trying to be helpful . Would recommend this Inn to anyone travelling with children and it is conveniently located to all attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Travelinman6969, Front Office Manager at Top Notch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Wow! We are delighted to know how much you enjoy staying with us :) Customers like you make our day. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here 3 days atving Jerico Park and siteseeing. the rooms were nice, clean and the beds were comfortable.The only reason I gave the motel 4 stars was the noise at night. We sat well off the highway but the trucks going by during the night were noisy because there was a bump in the road out front and when they hit it it sounded like the truck was in your room. But otherwise we had a great time and would stay here again. Also we noticed that the motel was full every night while other ones weren't this should tell you something.

Room Tip: Go for any rooms in the back of the motel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Travelinman6969, General Manager at Top Notch Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

We want to thank you for taking the time to write a review, and for all of your compliments. This is the first we have heard about the "bump in the night" and we are investigating what it may have been. Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Top Notch Inn? Share your experiences!