“relaxing superfind with great foliage for photographers right on site”

Storybook Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Glen B&B and Inns
manchester, nh
“relaxing superfind with great foliage for photographers right on site”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Can't say enough about the location.. It is as pretty as a picture. The setting is close enough to all the action yet far enough away to be considered quiet and peaceful. This older colonial style motel-Inn has the best foliage per square area yet seen on any tour I have taken to date. It is clean and very reasonable in price. We did stay during the week though so most likely more expensive weekends. I would recommend this hotel to any one or people looking for a great laid back remote type stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aaa7day

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Our rooms were clean with an excellent housekeeping staff. The grounds were well maintained. When questioned the staff was eager to help and offer suggestions, it was a true family "get away." We enjoyed the indoor swimming pool the most, weather was kinder than using the outdoor pool, and the kids really enjoyed the resorts game room. We will come back next year for sure.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
new hampshire
Reviewed August 24, 2009

when booked room no one told us it was on the third floor. we had two small children , had to carry up luggage and children through very small stairway. when we got to the third floor we found out we had a chipmunk running around which scared the children. the room was not the best except they make it out to be a lot bigger. the kiddie pool was very dirty with bugs and slim on the bottom.the location for storyland was the good item as far as i am concern

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Storybooksuites, office mangement at Storybook Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 2, 2009
Our Inn was home to folks during the Revolutionary War in Glen, New Hampshire. Unfortunately the Inn experience doesn't include the convenience of elevators. We do have other motel hotel rooms available for guests to choose from. We have a web-site where guests can pick a location and get full details of the property or call and get a description of our on site amenities. We have enjoyed the hospitality industry for over 60 years and will continue provide a great White Mountain vacation destination.

Travelers are raving about these Glen hotels

Massachusetts
Reviewed August 23, 2009

First, let me say that this was my 3rd stay at Storybook Inn, so I was already familiar with the amenities. We were planning on a 3rd trip to Storyland, and I was looking around at different places in the area - there are a lot of new choices since our last stay in 2004. But, few have both an indoor and outdoor pool - which is a plus in NE cause you never know what the weather will be.

But, when I made the reservation, I specifically asked if they had WIFI, and they said yes. I mentioned that it was important because my son would want to use it to get to the internet on our laptop. Well, I didn't specify "in our room", nor did they correct me, but they do not have WIFI in the rooms. You have to trek to the main in and sit in this creepy old room that doesn't have air conditioning to connect to the internet. I'm sorry, but when your website claims "Free WIFI" - it really should say "in public lounge area" or some such clarification. In today's hotel market, if it says wifi, free or otherwise, you assume it's in the room - unless otherwise specifically stated. On the website, it does not clarify under "amenities" that the WIFI is only in a public room.

In addition, the rooms really need attention. They definitely have not been updated since we came 5 years ago, and they needed updating back then. Clean? Yeah, I guess, but you know that they aren't laundering those comforters from 1992. The blankets are worn, the sheets are thin, the mattresses feel more like a boxspring, the pillows are flat, there are no extra pillows or blankets. We stayed at Brookside - but when we stayed poolside last time, it wasn't any better.

Oh, and I turned on the AC because I room got really muggy - it sounded like a mac truck idling! Then, the smell started - moldy, mildew smell. At first, I thought that the fan was just making the smell of the room kick up, but then I realized that it was probably some filter in the thing that hasn't been changed since who knows when. I got up at 2:30 AM to shut it off - I hope my family doesn't come down with Legionnaires disease.

No question that it is convenient to Storyland, but it's a trade off because most of the restaurants and stores are 8+ miles back in North Conway. There used to be a Dunkin' Donuts across the street, but it is no longer there. They don't have coffee makers in the room (but do offer free coffee and juice in the lobby - something that I didn't know - they didn't tell us at check in - until we had already traveled the 16 miles round trip to DD in NC).

The kids loved the pools, but be aware that the indoor pool has a tile floor that gets wet and is a complete hazzard.

I read some of the other reviews that mentioned the staff, so I have to add my experience. The staff was efficient and courteous, but no more. When I questioned the desk clerk about the internet, he was not apologetic at all - just reitterated the "truth" that they did have free WIFI - just not in any of the rooms. He made some excuse that they were still working on covering all the buildings and such. Ok, what does a wireless router cost? About $100 these days if that? Whatever.

When we checked out, the clerk didn't ask how our stay was - just as well because he probably didn't want to hear what I had to say.

Probably needless to say that we wouldn't stay here again.

PS - I'm saying that it doesn't have a fitness center because what it has - a treadmill and a couple of bikes - is in a 4x10 room adjacent to the indoor pool with no AC - it was 90 degrees in there. More like an unfit room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Storybooksuites, public relations at Storybook Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2009
We have a lovely colonial library in a 200 year old Inn with free internet access for all guests. While to date, only business adults have requested to use the service, had we known in advance or anytime during the 2 day stay that the kids needed all day internet we would have moved our guest to room with all day access instead of just the 24 hr library access. We are committed to customer service for over 60 years and recognize the ever evolving needs of guests. We do pride ourselves however on the outdoor fun activities for children, the extra's that make a vacation memorable.
falmouth
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Staff was exceptional and the rooms were dated, but very clean. We had a big family Summer reunion and this was the perfect place. They are next to Storyland and centrally located to everything. I'd recommend this hotel to anyonr planning a New
Hampsire vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank mommy1534
Southern, NH
Reviewed July 12, 2009

The next question is "would you recommend it to a friend" and I would like to answer that by saying: It depends on the friend. Here is why...
To say the staff was nice would be an understatement. The pools were clean and when the hot-tub was looking a little less than perfect, we asked and they came to fix it right away - and without any attitude at all.
INDOOR HEATED POOL!!! Yes! Want to swim outdoors? Go ahead. Indoor and outdoor pool - both have hot tubs. Outdoor pool has the pool, hot tub and a 2.5 ft deep kiddie pool. Fun for the whole family.
Our room was lacking. The carpet could use a shampoo, the a/c looked like it was from 1972 - broken, and the hairdryer needed repair (to the point of really dangerous - there was no grate on the end to keep a person from getting their fingers in there or tangling their hair in it). I mentioned the a/c and hair dryer to the staff and a note was left. What they do about it, I have no idea, but I get the feeling that they will look into it.
It's time for new stuff...telephones, a/c, hairdryers and blankets.
Over all I would give it a 4 out of 5 - but based on the room alone it would get a 2. The staff was so darn nice and the pools were so great that it sincerely raised the bar.
I would go back again and hope they had renovated the rooms.
I am clicking 'yes'. How could I say no to such nice people?

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank RoadTrips3
Sudbury, MA
Reviewed June 27, 2009

We found this hotel by driving by and did not realize its epic size. We were given the hill top section which was private, quiet and very beautiful. There are many parts to the hotel all over the 100 acres. Our room was the best part. A huge room with a king size bed and our own balcony looking out over the aces of trees and flowers. They have a great indoor heated pool and jacuzzi. Great find for us mountain retreat lovers.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank inotia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Lodge at Jackson Village
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to Storybook Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!