“Great meat, horrible seafood, worse response from staff”

The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Glen
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub offers great family dining as well as an adult only dining area. Our Patio area is open during the Summer months. Our new menu features locally sourced produce whenever possible and several unique Gluten Free and Vegetarian items. In addition, our Specials feature only locally sourced meats, cheeses & produce. There are always live bands in the Pub on Friday & Saturday nights. We also have an Open Mic' night every Monday.The Pub opens at 3:30 Mon-Fri and the Dining Room at 5:00. On Sat & Sun, the Pub opens at 3:00 and the Dining Room at 4:00. We serve food util 9:30 Sun-Thurs and until 10:00 on Sat & Sun.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The good: nice steak, spicy spinach/artichoke dip, excellent liver and onions
The bad: The stuffed scallops - came down with a horrid gut thing, likely norovirus

The Ugly: called to report problems. was told they never had anything like that happen. then was told it must have been flu. then was told it must have been only one bad scallop. then was told the owner was out but would call me two days later when she got in. four days passed, called again - was told owner would be in in two hours and would call me immediately. Called four hours later and was told owner had left for the day, wouldn't be in until 9pm the next night. Next morning, called NH Food Protection, reported all of the above. Got a call from the owner before noon.

Whether or not RPP was the source of the norovirus, this was a horrendous way of handling it by them. Will never eat there again.

1  Thank Moon B
rpp302, Owner at The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

First of all, a foodborne illness in a food product that was served to several guests AND employees throughout the evening is only reported by a single person, it does not send up a red flag of a potentially serious health situation.

You dined with us on a Wednesday evening. You called on Thursday when I happened to be out of town. I was told about the situation on Friday night by my Dining Room manager on the proper procedures for handling a situation like this. She called you and did as instructed. I did not think that a further followup was required. When you called again on Monday evening, I had left for the day. I called you on Tuesday at an appropriate time for calling someone during the day - 10:30.

As I told you on the phone our seafood is brought in fresh several times a week. All of our kitchen staff is certified by ServSafe in proper food handling. I am sorry that you felt the need to go to such extremes due to your illness.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

It's not fancy and it's a bit old fashioned but the Red Parka Pub is always a good time. We always try to stop by when we're vacationing in the White Mountains. The ribs are the very best and I made sure to get a bottle of their famous BBQ sauce before I left. It's a cozy place with good service and an adequate salad bar. I enjoyed my dinner as I do each time I visit.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Four of us dined on October 24, 2013. Two had butternut squash and apple soup, one had chilli and I had the BBQ pulled pork sandwich. We all had the unlimited salad bar. The soup and salad bar was $12.95. The same with the chili and salad bar.
The wait staff was friendly and helpful in making suggestions. The menu is extensive and includes everything from seafood to steaks, sandwiches and salads.
Seniors over 60 receive 10% off their food bill.
I would return.

1  Thank pandccoppola
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We've been to this restaurant a few times, and I'm finally writing a review for it. We've had different experiences here - great meals, so-so meals, and this time, very good meals. They took my husband's favorite dish off the menu (dijon chicken) so he tried the steak tips and really enjoyed them. I had veggie lasagna, which I was really happy to see back on the menu again. Even though I think it used to be better, it was still really tasty. And I think it's pretty cool for a steakhouse to have a few vegetarian options on the menu. The salad bar is constantly tended to, so nothing ever sits or runs out.

I would definitely recommend trying them out if you're in the area!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We ate at the Red Parka.last evening after a long drives to Bartlett. We shared the chicken kitchen sink sandwich and a chipotle pulled pork on a tortilla. The food was fairly bland although all the condiments looked fresh. My husband had a draft beer served in a masor jar which was tasty. The salad bar looked very appetizing. The annoying part was a table of four who constantly were complaining amongst themselves and then to the waitress about the food. The manager had great patience and asked for feedback so that she could inform the owners and the chef. However it did tarnish our experience and I'm sure we would have had a better review if they had not been so annoying. . .

We