“Over rated”

Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Glen
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub offers great family dining as well as an adult only dining area. Our Patio area is open during the Summer months. Our new menu features locally sourced produce whenever possible and several unique Gluten Free and Vegetarian items. In addition, our Specials feature only locally sourced meats, cheeses & produce. There are always live bands in the Pub on Friday & Saturday nights. We also have an Open Mic' night every Monday.The Pub opens at 3:30 Mon-Fri and the Dining Room at 5:00. On Sat & Sun, the Pub opens at 3:00 and the Dining Room at 4:00. We serve food util 9:30 Sun-Thurs and until 10:00 on Sat & Sun.
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over rated”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

By the reviews we expected a good experience. We didn't have one. Waitress slow and uninterested, I had to find her to order a drink and for attension even with the pub half empty. The food was poor, meat over cooked and over priced compared with other restaurants nearby.

1 Thank mark c
rpp302, Owner at The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
I am so sorry that you had such a poor experience here. If you could elaborate on the food that you had so that I have some idea of what the problems were, that would be helpful. Did your server check with you on the quality of your meals? An overcooked steak should have been removed and replaced immediately. And I will be dealing with the server on her lack of attentiveness - there is no excuse for that.
I look forward to hearing from you.

• Polish first
Amherst, NH
“An oldie but goodie”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Had dinner here on a Monday night towards end of the ski season. Understandably, the place wasn't too crowded (an understatement), but the service was top notch. Seated right away, server took drink and dinner order promptly, checked in on me frequently during my meal. I've come here 3 or 4 times over the past 15 years (usually after a day of skiing), and the ambiance and decor is 'relaxing,' sort of a step back in time in a pleasant way. I enjoy their old fashioned chairs, tables, broken-up dining areas, etc. They recently (Nov 2012) celebrated their 40th anniversary here, so they must be doing something right.

I ordered a petit fillet and added their salad bar. Petit fillet was very good, sorry I didn't order the regular size. Their salad bar was so-so at best - lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cukes, onions, but not much more. For $5 extra this was the only downside to my dining experience here.

• Visited March 2013
rpp302, Owner at The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and service. If you would be so kind as to elaborate on what items you might like to see on our salad bar, I would be grateful. We do have 30 items on there and all but the basics are prepared fresh daily - we do not use pre-packaged potato salad, pasta salad or cole slaw. We are always looking for ways to improve, so your ideas would be most welcome!
Durham, New Hampshire
“Okay”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had the ribs for take-out and they were great. Went back for a second try and the meal was average. Nice ski atmosphere.

Visited February 2013
rpp302, Owner at The Red Parka Steakhouse & Pub, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I am sorry that you thought your visit was just average. Perhaps you could elaborate on that for me so that we could fix the problem. Please call me at your convenience.
Sincerely
Owner
Conway, New Hampshire
“Disappointed in owner”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was harrassed in the parking lot by an out of stater with a very foul mouth who punched the hood of my car and ripped my car door open I asked her to keep her hands off my car she proceeded to cause a scene with the owner. I was asked to leave yet the woman and company were allowed to stay. The owner wouldn't even speak to me. I was mortified there were plenty of witnesses If you want to be treated poorly without respect check them out the food is good and so our the drinks the staff is great as well the owner not so much.....

2 Thank cassie p
As I told you in my response to your Facebook comments about this situation, I would be more than happy to discuss this with you in person or by phone.
When a young woman came into a full waiting room area in tears, asking to have the police called because of a parking lot rage incident, I had no choice but to accommodate her request. At the time that you asked to speak to me, it was extremely busy and I was running the waiting list, so could not leave the Dining Room. In addition, the daughter and mother involved in the incident were seated right next to the door and I felt that further confrontation would only exacerbate the situation.

The fact that these guests were from out of state had no bearing whatsoever on the incident. This was clearly a case of two parties arguing over a parking space. I am sorry you felt that you needed to air your views in this manner, but I would still be more than happy to discuss this with you personally if you wish.
Boston, MA
“Salad Bar, Steak, Beer, Music: Perfect end to a day of skiing or hiking”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Red Parka has no frills steak and salad bar options plus a great cozy bar which can get very crowded... good beer selection and definitely affordable.

The tables in the dining area are a bit open/exposed if you're stuck in the middle. Last time I was there we were awkwardly seated at a long table of 8 right in the middle of the action - not conducive to conversation.

This is definitely great for families with GROWING TEENAGERS because the salad bar can do a number on a kid's appetite which is always a plus - doesn't kill the budget either.

Visited February 2013