“Absolute Gem AND amazing value”

Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Glen B&B and Inns
mendham, new jersey
“Absolute Gem AND amazing value”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

What everyone else says, and more. The friendliest, warmest proprietors, lobster eggs benedict for breakfast, lovely porch, flowers and setting, cookies, complimentary wine and beer (first round). We had massages, and as I was lounging, watching the British Open with my husband in the very comfy bar area and common area with tv, games I was leafing through a book on New Hampshire. I saw a gorgeous photo of a huge waterfall, and Mike was walking by. Mike was so helpful with exact directions and advice on our 9-mile hike that day, so I asked him, "Do you know where Arathusa Falls are?" I was thinking hundreds of miles away, only for advanced climbers, and I would just have to be happy with the photo.... when he says, "12 miles up the road, on the left, it's a 1.2 mile hike to the falls, you can do it in 2 hours." That was what put this little inn over the top! We had to do the summer camp pick up by 11 a.m., I had time to wake up early, hike to the highest waterfalls in New England, get back for the best breakfast of my life (yes - the lobster eggs benedict), and get to camp on time. This was not only the highlight of our long week, but of my life. The natural beauty of New Hampshire is all around, what a joy to be able to get to experience it. This treasure costs less that the generic Hampton Inns, and it was a mini-vacation, we will be back for longer next summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emilyzh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful weekend escape in the White Mts. We were beyond pleased with the Bernerhof Inn, our chosen accommodations for our little adventure. Mike and Tina greeted us at the door, gave us a tour, and offered us a complimentary drink. Mike also made a suggestions for dinner and offered to make reservations for us. They were beyond helpful.

We stayed in Room 2, The Fryeburg. It is located on the first floor near the kitchen and Mike warned us that they start making breakfast about 8 which didn't bother us in the least. There were earplugs provided though just in case, but we never used them. The room itself was clean, the bed comfy, the A/C was great because it was very hot that weekend, and the jacuzzi was a nice touch. I prefer hardwoods so I would probably pick a different room next time even though I loved the location of our room and other than that the only other thought I had was the decorative flowers could be updated. Certainly I had no complaints and loved every minute of our stay.

We also booked a package that included massages and what a great choice that was. Our therapists, Katie and Dawn, met us 15 min before the appt began and brought us downstairs to the Serenity Wellness Studio where we enjoyed an hour long massage. I felt great after.

Overall I would definitely stay there again(and hope that I do) if I travel up that way and most certainly would recommend the Inn and the massages to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mam2255
Trinidad
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Although we were not staying at the Bernehof we were fortunate enough to be invited for breakfast., which was really superb, freshly cooked by Mike the innkeeper, from a wide choice and beautifully served by Tina , the co host. We had a look at the rooms which are large and ensuite , all individually decorated in authentic New England Inn style. The location just outside North Conway and close to Attitash ski mountain, which is now an all season attraction is perfect- country with views but not isolated. In all I cannot think of a nicer place to stay if in the White mountains/ Mount Washington Valley area .

Room Tip: Just ask Mike or Tina for the best availablthey are certain to oblige.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank intervale
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had an awesome time at the bernerhof! Breakfast was consistently amazing, the room was clean and cozy, and the owner Mike and his daughter Jordan were always smiling and friendly, with lots of great suggestions for things to do and restaurants to go to. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Heathfr
Hernando, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2013

What a welcome... when we opened the door & walked in "Mike" greeted us by name!! He showed us around the Inn & to our room. We felt like we had just arrived home. Mike made the most delicous breakfast in the morning. Tina was just as friendly & helped me find the perfect creamer from the Bernerhof Inn. We were passing through & this was a perfect spot during our foliage tour through New England. We would love to return & take advantage of their other services.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy B
Danvers, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our stay at this Bed & Breakfast was superb! It was the first time we've stayed here & were not disappointed. The innkeeper gave us an upgrade at no extra charge which was a pleasant surprise! Loved the little bar area where we mingled with other guests of the inn. We were planning on going hiking the next day & Michael gave us some great suggestions. It was a great hike! :-) Also, the breakfast was delicious. I'm sure we'll go stay there again!
Kim & Drew Winslow

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberlee W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 1, 2013

There are many places you can choose to stay in this general area, but summer/seasonally many require a 2 night stay. We were looking for a reasonably priced, quality experience for only a Saturday night stay and we found the Bernerhof. Prior to arriving, we asked several questions about the Inn and the area, and the Innkeeper Mike was extremely helpful, allowing us to make the best short-trip plans as possible.

Upon arriving, we were shown around by Mike the Innkeeper and he offered us an alternate room if the one we picked was not to our liking. After settling in, we enjoyed drinks in the comfortable living room/bar area, a gathering space with TV and card/board games available.

We stayed in the Freedom Village room on the 3rd floor, the bed is comfortable and the bathroom is updated with a modern shower and bath fixtures, with nice bath products. The room has AC, a fireplace and TV as well, plus each floor has a common living room space for guests with internet/computer and TV/DVD/Game options.

Overall the Inn is kept very well, it's CLEAN, a nice combination of stylish B&B decor with contemporary touches for the modern traveler. The front porch is very comfortable with ample seating (couch or cafe style, we had the luxury of watching a thunderstorm from there. I gather the Inn was recently renovated, and the rooms we saw that were open are all nice (clean, styled nicely, etc).

Whatever you do, save room for breakfast. Amazing! We are food snobs, and the breakfast was super. Yogurt, granola and fruit parfait followed by delectable menu options such as Lobster Benedict, and meat or veggie omelets, homemade biscuits and more, with good coffee and tea to round it out.

The best part about the whole stay is the warm, welcoming and family-friendly staff. This phenomenon is nothing to sneeze at - so many B&Bs may look charming online but when you arrive it's Motel Hell because of the owners. At Bernerhof, their staff knocks this Inn experience out of the park. My 5 year old daughter who doesn't even talk to strangers wants to move into the Inn and work with Mike, so we know that it wasn't just us feeling the love. We are definitely planning to return annually, so should you.

Room Tip: All rooms looked nice, our 3rd floor Freedom Village room had a head-bumping eave, but we actually c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dawnly32
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel
Cranmore Inn
Cranmore Inn
#1 of 21 in North Conway

Been to Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!