“Save a seat for me on the porch!”
Review of Inn at Smith Cove

Inn at Smith Cove
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gilford
Inn at Smith Cove
Ranked #2 of 3 Gilford B&B and Inns
“Save a seat for me on the porch!”
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I visited the Inn at Smith Cove for the first time recently and was very impressed by its location, cleanliness and friendly atmosphere. The Inn sits right on the shore of Lake Winnipesaukee and offers a beach, a gazebo (which I used frequently to read and check my laptop while enjoying the view), and a beautiful garden setting with flowers galore. You won't find friendlier, more down to earth people than the couple who own/manage the property. They're always available to offer assistance in any way they can. Just ask for Bob or Maria. The other great thing about the Inn is that it's located close to anything you would want to see or visit in the Lakes Region. I highly recommend this establishment and am already looking forward to my next visit. Save a seat for me on the porch.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I’m from a big city, where all you do is work and move at a 100 mph pace. But I’m constantly getting lost in my imagination, and to me, the Inn at Smith Cave is the living definition of a Fairy Tale. I stayed at the Inn for only 2 nights, but I wish I could stay for weeks. The coziness is enveloping, the history overwhelming and the beauty dazzling. I’d like to think everyone who’s been here feels as I do.
Isn’t the Inn at Smith Cove just a little piece of magic? Definitely, a perfect setting for a fairy tale. Perhaps I shall find a frog outside tomorrow and kiss it into a prince. The beauty here makes it seem possible. Keep making dreams come True. We also really enjoyed walking to the Lions Den Pub up the road (no need to drive).

3 Thank Robert1234560745
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Wonderful and relaxing is the only words I can use to sum up my stay. The Inn is very clean and the Inn Keepers were pleasant and very attentive. I am looking forward to a summer visit!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trg19612
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed here for the Timberman Tri. NOTE: this inn is NOT 1.5 miles from race start like the Timberman site states. It is close to 2.5 miles away which is a distance if you planned to walk there and back on the day of your race. Also, the "beach" is actually a small sandy spot in between two boat docks. Which is fine if you like swimming amongst motor boats and drinking in boat fuel. They are not really on the lake but more on a channel where hundreds of boats dock. The innkeepers are not especially friendly. There are signs everywhere about what you "can't" do like no walking on the grass. The inn is surrounded by beautiful lawns which YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WALK ON. Have you heard of anything more ridiculous?? Also, if you are a triathlete you should note that the innkeeper will not let you put your very expensive tri bike in your room. We had to BEG to let him allow us to put it on the covered porch so it would not get ruined in the rain or, worse yet, stolen. Thankfully we brought bike locks! The accommodations were simple with a 10" TV - no cable. That would be ok except that the sheets smelled and the bathtub and shower curtains were literally SLIMEY from not being cleaned properly. This is a bare bones (read: innkeepers are cheap) operation. Rooms do not even have kleenex available. The Main Room of the inn is dark and dreary with a couple of old board games lying about.

All in all, I would not recommend this place. It is far enough away that you might as well stay at another place. You cannot walk to any area attractions or restaurants. The only good thing about it were the really nice guests that were visiting at the same time. The majority of them also stated they would not be returning.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank acally2

Travelers are raving about these Gilford hotels

Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I just wanted a quiet weekend get away for our 1 yr wedding anniversary and that is exactly what we got. We thought our "Little House in the Cove" was very cute, clean, and quiet...just what we wanted. After two other recent experiences in hotels that posted pictures online making the places look immaculate and they were big dumps when we got there, The Inn at Smith Cove is an excellent and clean place to stay. The bed was a bit uncomfortable but overall, we will return for another quiet weekend in the future.

1 Thank EllieMae0905
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed only one night at the Inn, but got a very good feeling. The house is really lovely and so are the rooms, although ours was not very large. To see the lake from your bedroom window is worth a lot and so is the private beach.

They didn't provide much of a breakfast, but they didn't promise any either.

We compared prices and found out that the motels in the area was actually more expensive, so that is why we chose the Inn in the first place. Didn't regret it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Victoria
Reviewed October 24, 2009

In some hotels and inns it's clear that the proprietors run it just because it makes money and the fact that guests come through the place is something they just have to deal with as a business transaction. Our stay at the Inn at Smith Cove left me cold. The place is nicely presented and decorated and in a nice waterside location. Our room - the Emma Room - was on the ground floor immediately off a shared reception room in the main guest house. The room had no ceiling other than the actual floorboards of the guest room above which made for little privacy, we could hear every word and grunt from the noisy couple upstairs. Being off the main reception room this became our wake-up call each morning. The in-room jacuzzi was an interesting feature - but apart from the bed there was no-where really to sit or do simple things like put down a glass as you read. It served its purpose but I would not go back there.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeyno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Inn at Smith Cove? Share your experiences!