“Never seen anything like this....” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ames Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gilford
Ames Farm Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Gilford
Boston, MA
“Never seen anything like this....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Perhaps the main building or cabins are nice, but the "annex" buildings across the street are a different story. They appear to be cheap welfare type apartments...basically 4 to a building. Someone we spoke to said people live there full time...so I guess when they have vacancies they try and rent them out to unsuspecting guests. Neither the front door or back door of the building was closed, there were bikes in the hall way and the electrical panel had no door so anyone walking through could shut the power off for the building if they felt like it. As I said it was basically a one bedroom "efficiency" apartment. It was beyond words. Peeling up linoleum, drop tile ceilings, right on a main route. We were there for about 5 minutes and left. I can't believe the state lets them rent these as "guest-rooms". I like to try and stay at local places, but this experience, and the one the night before in Bartlett, NH, are the reasons why I usually prefer chains:(

I'd be very very careful of this place!! Wow I wish I had thought to take pictures!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Eddie7070

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Saranac Lake, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Our family has been coming to Ames for 60+ years. We never tire of the slow pace, the lush green pasture, the sounds of the waves flowing to the shore in front of our cabin. We always meet families who are pinching themselves to make sure where they are is truly real in today's life ' in seconds' world. The friendly staff including original descendants of the Ames family yearly welcome us upon our arrival. To be sure, there are areas of upkeep that may challenge today's demanding public. However, we continue to make our annual stay not for what is missing in 'five star' accommodations, but for the renewed peaceful, friendly 'step back in time' experience that keeps us hopeful for the year ahead.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Karen1425
Vermonter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in an "Annex" building room, located directly across the road from the lake. It was a large room upstairs with a double bed, cute furnishings and air conditioning. It was on the back of the building so no view of the lake but less road noise. It all seemed very clean. It was the only room with a fridge, and a microwave was brought in at our request, which was very nice. The staff was always pleasant. However, upon returning home, I found a cockroach. I called immediately as common courtesy to warn them but I'm sure they didn't believe me, even when I told them it was most definitely a cockroach (we did NOT ask for a refund or any other compensation). They said nobody else had complained. We think perhaps it came in on the microwave which means it still came from somewhere on their property. And we could not have gotten it anywhere else... For business travel, we average 30 nights a year in hotels and this has never happened to us before. They can deny it all they want but we won't be taking anymore chances of an infestation and will not stay here again. I rated this a "2" because, except for the bugs, it was just right for our purposes. They should at least have reassured us that they would take measures to alleviate any problems instead of simply denying them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jeannebean
Montrose, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

My wife and daughter and I traveled to NH and ME this past August. During our trip we discovered Ames farm and were thrilled with the great food, atmosphere and excellent service. They made it fun to be there, gave us advice on things to do and the food was wholesome and delicious. We are deffinietely going back to the area and when we do we will stay at the Inn at Ames farm. They have great cottages that are mere feet from the water and have small private beaches as well as a dock. What a beautiful piece of property and a great crew running the restaurant. Can't wait to go back next year!

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Japanman88
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2004

An excellent place to vacation as a couple or family... there's so much to do and the people are great!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2004

My family has been vacationing at Ames Farm Inn for over 30 years and it is still my favorite place to go. I had my first summer love there and am still in love with the same guy.. and he is still throwing me off the same docks up there :)
The cabins are a step up from camping but you shouldnt be inside while staying at Ames! There is So much to do from lounging on the huge lawns to volleyball, pingpong, waterskiing and swimming.. there is something for everyone and its an ideal place to bring families of all ages. Just be warned that once you start going up there your family wont let you go anyplace different next year. Our family is all grown up but we still never miss our week at Ames and never will.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Belknap Point Motel
Belknap Point Motel
#3 of 6 in Gilford
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Ames Farm Inn? Share your experiences!