“Still the king of roadside treats in New England”
Review of Sawyers

Sawyers
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Gilford
Cuisines: American, Seafood
“Still the king of roadside treats in New England”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Sawyer's is still one of the best, if not the best, roadside seafood/fried food/ice cream joint in New England.

Prices have gone up, but the quality remains. This is not fine dining, this is honest American food. We ate there 4 times in July. Here are some suggestions:

1) The small lobster roll is plenty big. Had it twice. Meat was perfectly cooked. Need to ask if you want butter.

2) Fried clam strips are the best I have ever had, hand's down.

3) Skip the fries or onion rings and go for the onion hearts. These are the best fried onion treats I have ever had.

4) Pulled port seems like an oddball on the menu, but the taste is very good. If you aren't having seafood, go for the pulled pork over a burger or chicken.

5) The ice cream is excellent. They tend to run out of pints of many flavors by Sunday, with restocking not happening until mid-to-late in the week. Go on Friday for the best selection.

Sawyer's is a throwback. I know there was a lot of hand-wringing about ownership changes and what not, but honestly, I can't tell the difference. It has been great for the 10+ years I have been going there.

• Visited July 2013

Moultonborough, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lobster Roll”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have been to Sawyer's many years, except the last 3 years. I didn't realize that it changed hands. I stopped the other day and bought a large lobster roll for the husband. I ask what came with it and she said nothing extra, like fries. OK. I also asked her to separate the lobster from the roll and she said no problem. The last lobster roll I had from Sawyers, original owners, was like a salad. Lots of lobster, no fillers like fake lobster; a little mayo and celery. Delish, like Rachel Ray would say. The package was handed to me and home I went. When I got home I couldn't believe I paid $17.49 for a hot dog roll and a small cup with pieces of claw meat. A very small cup. A truly rip off! We went to the Pine Cone for dinner last night and my husband bought fried scallop dinner; which included large scallops, fried and coleslaw for $19.00. It made me sick to think I paid $17.49 for hot dog roll and few pieces of lobster claw meat. Sawyers is not what it use to be!!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank wildwood_13
litchNH, Owner at Sawyers, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
First, thank you for visiting Sawyers. We are sorry you were disappointed. We have been the owners of Sawyers for 7 years. The original Sawyers Lobster Roll as you describe has not been served at Sawyers for the past 5 years.

The original Sawyers Lobster Roll was prepared using 4 lbs of Claw, Knuckle and Leg meat plus 2 lbs of Leg Meat (used as a filler to lessen the cost) and was mixed with a small amount of Mayo. They were served in 6 oz. portions on a grilled hot dog roll with a bit of shredded lettuce under it and without Fries. Five years ago we decided to improve the Lobster Roll by using only the more expensive and higher quality Claw & Knuckle meat. Since the change we continue to sell well over 10,000 lobster rolls every summer to mostly very happy customers. We have maintained the same price ratio the Sawyer's had without using leg meat since the change.

CK Lobster Meat today costs over 17.00 a pound down from over 20.00 a pound at the beginning of the season. After preparation, there is an actual yield of only 14.5 ounces per pound. Our Lobster rolls average over 5.5 ounces of meat. If you divide the above cost by 14.5 and multiply it by 5.5 you will see how expensive Lobster Meat is. Add to it the cost of the Roll (16 cents) mayo, grill expense and labor and you will quickly see the value that thousands of our customers enjoy every year at Sawyers!.

Sawyers today is every bit what it used to be and more. Read all the reviews! We try to satisfy everyone. Realizing that sometimes things can slide through the cracks, we will always try to correct a wrong. If you would be kind enough to introduce yourself during your next visit, we will gladly give you a $25.00 gift certificate. Thank you again for your comments.
Seattle, Washington
“Great ice cream!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stopped in just before they closed for some ice cream. Recommend the blackberry truffle. It was awesome!

Visited July 2013
Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Loved the Seafood”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This restaurant has been in this same location for YEARS. The reason I know is that I went to camp a few miles down the road from here back in 1963 and the biggest treat was when the camp counselors would drive down and pick up some fried clams and frappes and bring them back for a few lucky campers. OK, that was 50 years ago and I'm 64 now, but I've thought about food from Sawyers all this time and upon finally returning I was not disappointed.
I was happy to see that the place was busy, meaning the locals still like eating here.
If you like New England fried seafood and ice cream treats this is a great place to go.
It's not cheap (I'm sure my old counselors eyes would bug out if they saw what a quart of clams cost now) but I felt it was worth it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alan R
nh
“Great lobster roll.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My mom had a lobster roll which was overflowing with large chunks of lobster, including the claws which had not been cut up. She said it was delicious. I have a clam strip roll and it was tasty. Plenty of food and nice cleaning eating area. Nice that they have a person to serve and help, even if they don't have a waitress. We will be going back.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Sawyers? Share your experiences!