“Ready to Book Again for Next Year”

Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Gilford
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Me and two friends just got back from our stay at Misty Harbor for Bike Week. I am so happy I didn't let the bad reviews on this and other sites get me down. This place was perfect and we already said is where we will be staying next year for Bike Week. We had a one bedroom suite. Not on the lakeside, but didn't care a bit. The room was more than adequate and comfortable. It was clean and had a living room, bedroom, full kitchen and bathroom. As for the comments about a rude staff, I didn't encounter any of them. All were pleasant and helpful and our room received the housekeeping service every day and considering the fact that the resort was pretty much booked entirely due to bike week, I think they did a great job. We even attended the Brooks and Dunn concert at Meadowbrook and it was awesoem to leave the bikes parked at the resort, walk through a path in the trees and be there. No fighting traffic. I don't know what other reviewers who gave such awful reviews were expecting and maybe they truly didn't have a great stay, but I can't think of one thing to complain about. Even though the price was hefty and required a 4 night stay, it was very competive with surronding locations (I called around) and in fact, the best value considering the amenities you get both at the resort and in the room and to stay 3 miles from Weirs Beach where all the action was, I didn't expect to pay much less and hey, its Bike Week. Like I said, we'll be there again next year. A really great time and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank hazydazy8

Reviewed August 24, 2007

What was I thinking? I have always relied on Trip Advisor for reviews of hotels and have almost always found the reviews to be very accurate. This time, I ignored the warnings and booked a room at the Misty Harbor because we were going to a concert at Meadowbrook on August 18, so thought this would be very convenient and didn't believe it could be as bad as some of the reviews indicated. I was wrong.

When we arrived, there were two young women behind the front desk and several of their friends eating in the lobby. The place smelled, but we chalked it up to the food being eaten on the sofas nearby.

When we got to our room, my husband and I tried to overlook the obvious problems and put on a happy face, saying "well, it's only for two nights." We quickly unloaded our luggage and went for dinner. When we returned, we took a closer look and realized what an awful situation we were in.

The carpets were filthy.

The linoleum floor was filthy & sticky. It was also lifting and curling at the edges in every area of the bathroom. I'm not talking about a little lifting - it was curling out by several inches in all directions.

The room did have a refrigerator as promised, but the ice tray / freezer hadn't been defrosted in several months, so it could not be used.

The dinette table was sticky and dirty.

The lights were so dim that you couldn't even read a newspaper in the room. But, on the bright side (no pun intended), it made it impossible to see just how dirty the place really was.

The electrical outlet on the wall above the TV had no cover, so wires were exposed.

When I tried to call reception to request another room, I got a recording saying that the office closed at 9:00 p.m.

When I called the next morning to get more towels (we only had 2 plus 2 washcloths and 1 hand towel), I was told some would be sent right over. About 45 minutes later, my husband went to the front desk and asked about the towels. He also asked about getting another room because the one we were in was filthy. The woman behind the desk said she had no other rooms and said she had asked housekeeping to bring the towels over 40 minutes ago and would call them. When she called and reminded them, whatever their response was caused her to laugh. My husband told her to just forget the towels, that we would be checking out.

On the way back to the room, he ran into a young man who was also staying at the hotel, and asked him if his room was acceptable. The man said his was also dirty and he would not bring his family there under any circumstances. (He was there with a bunch of guys for the race.)

I don't usually write such a long review, but I think it's important that if you are considering this place, you have enough information to know what a dump it really is. The sad part is that these things were easily remedied in a weekend - clean the carpets, fix the linoleum, fresh paint, new lightbulbs / fix the lights, repair the outlets, defrost the freezer. The fact that these things are not done indicates to me that the owners / management don't care what people think of their experience. They clearly don't rely on repeat business. That is their choice to do business that way, but take a close look at all of the reviews of this place before you make the choice to book a room there.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2guppies
Reviewed March 8, 2007

i was to Stay at this hotel with my daughter during school vacation.
this hotel was recommended because of the suite style needed and the close proximity to gunstock. However 1 1/2 weeks prior to our stay, My husband lost his job and we couldn't afford any extra unnecessary expenses, therefore I immedeiately contacted the hotel and advised them of my situation. They were extremely rude and not the least bit compassionate and told me that I was going to remain with a charge of one night stay of $107, because of ther 2 weeks notice policy, I WAS JUST 2 DAYS SHORT OF THAT!!!! I then spoke with the manager and she said if they rented out the unit, only then would she credit my account. AGAIN THIS IS SCHOOL VACATION AND THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH THE SKI RESORT SO CLOSE. For verification I tried online and with their hotel directly to book a unit and was informed they hadn't any available. I contacted them 4 weeks later and questioned why I hadn't received credit and they informed me that they never booked this suite. OBVIOUS A LIE!!!! From my Experience with the staff at theis hotel and the reviews I have recently been reading, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!!! CUSTOMERS ARE NO VALUE TO THEM ONLY THE BOTTOM DOLLAR IS!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mom143cdh
Reviewed January 2, 2007

After reading reviews that management had changed we thought we would give it another try. Well, management has not changed. The same grumpy woman at the desk (Jaddi is her name), the same housekeeping department, run by a woman who does not know the meaning of customer service (Denise is her name) and housekepers who can not or will not speak english. Don't know what happened to the man who used to work there but at lesat he knew how to assist the customers. Don't be fooled, this place is dirty, unfriendly and disgusting. People would do better to go to B.Maes or the suites at Winnipesaukee. The pool is green and smelly, the sofa bed was torn and stained and the mattress smelled or urine. THe VCR was missing (stolen the desk clerk said) and they were more interested in fitting a new gas fireplace in the lobby area. Perhaps they should spend time fixing the rooms and not worrying about how the lobby looks (leaky roof and stained ceiling tiles in the lobby anyway). This place is the PITS. Stay away.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Augustamaine
Reviewed June 11, 2006

Ok where do I begin, well I must say and agree prior to my arrival with the old managment I was def. having second thoughts especially after reading the reviews (uhhh) but as of about a month ago they are under new managment and I was extremely happy with the service that we received prior to arrival and once we got there. We stayed in a two bedroom suite bottom floor, I am used to a five star or above but this is Laconia we are talking about and your not going to find it, the room was simple and clean. Maid service was great even bringing us clean rags due to the fact that we were there for bike week in order for us to be able to wipe off our bikes. Of course we were there to have fun and fun is what we had not once did anyone ever complain about the noise level and there were six of us and I am sure we were quite loud! the pool area seemed very clean and free of people not that we opted to use it but if we had more time we def. would. We were allowed to check in early and were never rushed to check out. So if you have doubts about staying here just realize they are very set back you are not going to find granite countertops but you will find a very welcoming new management team.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank ladyintravel
Reviewed May 28, 2006

We had booked a room on the recomendation of a condo owner at the Misty Harbor. It is a condo style resort. This person, who worked with my husband, said it was a great palce with friendly people. He was so wrong. I would be ashamed to own here. The staff was not friendly. There was an older woman at the desk the evening we checked in. She was rude and didn't know where our room was located. We had booked a "lake view" room but this is not on the lake but across the street. The view is blocked by another building. Then the room had a whirlpool tub that didn't work. The tile had mildew in the grout seams and on the shower curtain too. The rooms were divided by a folding wall that was broken and the seams had fallen apart. The bed was a fold down cot that folded into the wall. No box spring or foundation. The sofa bed looked as if someone had urinated in it. The mattress smelled horrible. When we complained to the person at the deks they sent in the "housekeepers". Only a staff of two people and they work together. They looked at the room and whispered to each other then told us to speak to the desk clerk. When we went to the desk the clerk said "the housekeepers said there was nothing wrong with the room so I can't give you a refund or credit". When I asked to speak to the person in charge I was told it was the head housekeeperand she was cleaning rooms at the moment. We will not go back, and will advise others to stay away also. My husband has told his co-worker about this and I hope something can be done.

• Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank BravePete56
Reviewed April 25, 2006

It is now 10 months later, from when I visited this resort, and my problems are still not resolved with this place. This resort had charged my credit card for a stay that I never did, as they did not provide the hotel room they had promised. I have children that are asthmatic and need to be in a certain environment to avoid a hospital visit. I booked this room at the Misty Harbor in hopes of it being smoke and pet free. There were no pets, but the room was horrible. It smelled like one of those bars you might visit with wall to wall smoke. In any case, I was not provided with another room and was promised a refund, as it was THEIR MISTAKE for not providing what was promised to me. They never credited my account. So now my credit card company has been after them for the money and so has the better business bureau. They have an unsatisfactory record with the BBB, as others have complained about various things as well. You can check it out online. In any case, please save yourself some aggravation and find another place to stay when visitting the beautiful lakes region!

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank JenniferBoston_MA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
Belknap Point Inn
Belknap Point Inn
#3 of 6 in Gilford

Been to Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort? Share your experiences!