“A Hidden Gem!”
Review of Lovett's Inn

Lovett's Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Franconia B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My Husband and I got married here last month and I can't say enough good things about Lovett's! Where to begin? Don't let the rustic appearance from the outside fool you, it's part of it's charm! The Inn is so quaint and cute. We knew as soon as we visited that this is where we would get married (the small bar area was our favorite as well as the sitting/sun room in the back). We got a tour (and came during off season) so we got to see all the rooms in the Inn (there are 5) and all of the cottages, I believe there are 11 or 12. Each is amazing in it's own way. We chose to stay in the Inn and loved our room. It was spacious and had windows overlooking both the pond across the street and the grounds out back. I think when we return for our next visit we will try a cottage.

The food is amazing! My husband and I are both foodies and that was one of the most important things in choosing a venue (which can be hard when your feeding 100+ people). We had dinner in the dining room when we first visited. I had the beef tenderloin, my husband the duck and we started with the crab cakes. Everything was amazing! The next time we came we had a tasting with both our parents and everything was to die for. For our wedding we ended up choosing the duck and beef with a crabcake appetizer and a salad. I can't even tell you how many compliments we got (about how gorgeous the grounds and the wedding was) but mostly about the food and how it was "the best wedding food I've ever had" and "the best duck/beef I've ever tasted". We had breakfast each morning (included in the room rate). They give you a menu with about 5 or 6 choices. I had pancakes one morning and eggs benedict the other, everything was so good.

And finally what makes this place so amazing is Jim & Janet who own and run it. Honestly, they are the nicest, friendliest, and welcoming people I have ever met. The made our families feel right at home, remembering most by name. I can't reccomend this place enough. It's perfect for a romantic or family getaway. The grounds are beautiful, the Inn homey, the food delicious and there's so much to do in Franconia Notch. My Husband and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Lovett's Inn

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed two nights this past week and hated to leave. First and foremost was the dining/breakfast service. Owner/chef Janet should be on Iron Chef. Our meals were beyond wonderful each and every time. Owner/Innkeeper Jim made us feel at home and was always helpful and knowledgeable. Eric gave us great service and we shared some laughs. We're not usually B&B people but we felt as though we were with kindred spirits in every sense. The area all around was beautiful, scenic, bucolic and everything we sought in a New England vacation. Lovett's Inn was an absolute joy. Thank you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I did not know what to expect, never having stayed at an inn before. We went to Lovett's Inn to attend a family wedding.

The first thing we noticed was the beautiful setting. It was so peaceful. The main building was decorated beautifully, but not overdone. Our cottage was perfect. I sat in the rocker by the window, next to the fireplace to read. How good is that? Oh, yes, I also read in the jacuzzi tub! The bathroom was great for getting ready for the ceremony, the mirrors large, hooks to hang things on, a hair dryer, etc. Oh yes, across the street is a pond with a little bridge, a beautiful place for photos!

Everything was spotless clean. Our cottage was private, but only a few yards from the site of the ceremony, a gazebo on the gorgeous lawn. The main building was within short walking distance also, so we could walk to breakfast, to the bar, to visit friends staying there, etc. The interior was such that you felt like you were visiting at a friend's house....cozy and inviting.

This time of year it was chilly at night, but there was a bonfire after the wedding, again among the beautiful surroundings. The deck/pool area was nice, but pool weather was gone.

The food was better than good. We had 2 breakfasts and the wedding meal, as well as the rehearsal dinner. I did not get to meet the chef, but I hope she sees this and knows how much we enjoyed it. My husband said it was the best duck he had ever had. The waiter was simply the best. The staff serving at the wedding and rehearsal also were exceptional.

We really did not get a chance to explore the area, but the Inn alone seemed like a mini-vacation retreat, since the grounds were large, clean, and quiet.

I sincerely hope we get the chance to visit Lovett's again.

Room Tip: Ask for fireplace and jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank joconna
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We arrived at Lovett's the afternoon before a record heatwave hit the east coast. Pulling up to the quintessential New England inn, we felt we were in an episode of the Bob Newhart show. It was quiet inside, midweek in summer with only two or three rooms with guests, with more arriving the following day. Innkeeper Jim arrived to show us around the quaint, historic main house and, thankfully, he upgraded us to a room with air conditioning. Good thing because the next day was a scorcher and the cool air made sleeping more comfortable. Our room, half of a duplex cabin, was situated on the edge of woods and a field, very rural and lovely. It was decorated just as I imagined a New England interior with woven rugs on wood floors, fireplace, quilt an throw on the bed. The bathroom was huge and had a whirlpool tub. The flowers and lawns were beautiful and the pool was in the process of being refilled after being repaired.

Franconia is a sleepy very small town and the outlying rural community is picture postcard lovely. We began our stay with a drive to orient ourselves and found several photo ops of mountains, fields and little churches along the country roads. The following day we visited Franconia State Park where we saw what was left of the Old Man in the Mountain and envisioned him as he once was courtesy of the clever Profile Plaza. We bought the combo admission that allowed us to hike through the Flume Gorge to see the exquisite waterfalls, pools and covered bridges, and to ride the aerial tram up Cannon Mountain, which is visible from the inn's property. Beware of hiking down from the mountain; we found the so-called trail to be very rough, consisting of boulders that you must climb over and then loose gravel on a steep path that was very slippery to walk.

After the hike, we found cold beers at the inn's bar. Besides the quiet and relaxing ambiance at the inn, the highlight was innkeeper/chef Janet's cuisine. At breakfast, we chose what we wanted from the day's menu which featured French-style omelets and berry pancakes. I'm still thinking about the fresh herb and cheese omelet I enjoyed one morning. Dinner was especially wonderful. We enjoyed delicious duck with currant sauce and a bottle of wine, with a seasonal fruit crisp for dessert. Overall, our stopover in Franconia was relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an air conditioned room in summer.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I, along with our Border Collie, stayed at one of the cottages on this lovely piece of property. Since most "pet-friendly" establishments are of only middling quality, this was a lovely exception. The room was clean and cozy, and the main inn was quite quaint and comfortable. The waitstaff was cheerful, helpful, and efficient, while the proprietors, Jim and Jan, were beyond accomodating - they were charming, convivial, warm and welcoming. And the food - truly superlative, worthy of even the most discerning gourmand. I would definitely recommend, and would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Situated in a beautiful part of New Hampshire, Lovetts Inn is an 18th century building being lovingly restored in keeping with its age by Jim and Janet.

Our room was spacious with a comfortable bed and en suite - everything was fresh and clean.

We had a great welcome from the innkeepers and immediately felt at home, but the best bit was Janet's cooking. Breakfast was as good as it gets and we had dinner there twice - great value for money!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2011

We've been skiing at Cannon since the early sixties. This inn went down hill twenty years ago, and it has been a thrill over the past ten years to watch the present innkeepers bring it back up to the standards of my memories. One of the best parts of the experience was that Franconia itself has not been swamped by the condos and strip development that has spoiled so many other New England ski destinations. This is classic New England the way it used to be, and still should be.

Room Tip: Inn rooms more classic; cottages have gas fireplc.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#3 of 5 in Franconia
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge
#4 of 5 in Franconia

Been to Lovett's Inn? Share your experiences!