“the franconia inn”

Ranked #2 of 5 Franconia B&B and Inns
Ma
“the franconia inn”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We had trouble finding the Franconia Inn. It may be because our Garmin navigation took us to the best western instead of the franconia inn.. So we found a local map.. and still had a lot of trouble finding it. We finally found it and noticed a plane site right across the street they also had horses and bike rentals which was good.. The front desk reps were nice.. nothing speical.. we got up the room and it was very small we got the 131$ cozy room with breakfast.. the bed was so uncomfortable!!! I went to bed around 10 or 11 and woke up around 6 ... my back was killing me ... Also if you are planning to go out to eat which im sure.. dont plan on getting left overs.. there is no fridge up there...... or alarm clock and no tv.. i brought my laptop and watched movies until i fell alseep.. The maid through away my not even opened soda so i went down to the front desk and asked for another water or something they gave me another one that was good.. the breakfast was good i wish they had more choices though... and the service was good. and was close to the flume gorge which was amazing.. the old man rock the basin and such.. it was hard finding good resteraunts around there.. we went to 99 on the last night there..

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Chesterfield, NH
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at the Franconia Inn with three adults and two children in two different rooms. One of our original rooms (family size) was not available due to a plumbing issue, however we were relocated into two nice adjoining rooms at the same rate.

The rooms are very informal when compared to the rest of the Inn. When inside your room it looked more like a camp or cottage than a New England Inn. Beds and furniture were comfortable and nice.

The first night of our stay, the kitchen was overwhelmed by a large group in the dining room so our casual meal in the pub took over an hour to hit our table. This wasn’t too bad as the space was very cozy, the Red Sox were on the TV, and the pub staff was very friendly.

The plumbing was an issue. Morning or evening showers were…exciting. The water temperature of all three showers ran from ice cold to scalding hot at random. The issues seemed to be related to the plumbing work being done at the time, however the showers didn’t return to ‘normal’ for the duration of the 4 days we stayed. The front desk staff made no apologies and didn’t seem to care a whole lot about the issue.

We scheduled a horseback ride for the family and it was spectacular. Great staff, patient and healthy looking horses, and the views are incredible. The kids loved the heated pool and the ‘walk-able’ grounds (you can walk down to a beautiful river and swim/adventure).

The reasons we have for not rating the Inn higher are mostly easy to overlook: no towels by the pool, front desk staff seemed disinterested in answering questions, kid’s play room smelled of mildew and was 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the Inn, and breakfast was only mediocre.

We would recommend the Inn for folks willing to overlook the little things in order to have a great location and a very nice place to return to after exploring the beautiful White Mountains.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — unengaged staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We were on vacation in NH, facing the reality that we wanted to stay longer but had nowhere to stay. Then we drove past the Franconia Inn. We were technically seeking a place to have lunch. They didn't have lunch, but I asked if they had rooms--and they did.

We stayed the first night in the honeymoon room, which had a jacuzzi tub. The next in a room overlooking NH's scenery. This is a beautiful old inn--not fancy, but lovely.

Our rooms were spotless; the service was friendly and helpful. Dinner and breakfast were both wonderful. It was difficult to leave--what with the pool and hottub (which we used) and the prospect of horseback riding and tennis (which we didn't). If you're seeking peace and quiet (no phones or tvs in the rooms) this is the place for you.

• Liked — The grounds, the food, the peace and quiet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I stayed here for a week in July and enjoyed the serenity of the location and the comfortable room. The Inn is furnished quaintly with period pieces; beds are covered with quilts. The windows opened easily for fresh air, or I could use the window air conditioner. Most impressive was the dining room and the breakfast offerings with spectacular daily specials. Dinner offerings are pricey for an inn of this type, however. No phone or TV in room; wireless internet access is available but not accessible for some reason in my room. I sat in the living room, enjoyed the fire in the fireplace, and caught up with the outside world via laptop. My only complaint concerns an article of clothing I accidentally left in the closet when I checked out; when I discovered I had left it behind, I called the inn to ask about it. They promised to call me back when they checked, but I heard nothing from them. Therefore, on my return trip through that part of New Hampshire, I stopped by the Inn to check on the missing article. Nobody had found anything, it seemed. Considering that I had left the housekeeping staff a generous tip for the week, I was very disappointed with this response.

• Liked — Breakfast choices
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We enjoyed a lovely, relaxing 2 night stay at the Franconian Inn. We (me, my husband, our 1yr old and my mother) stayed in one of the 2-room family suites (basically 2 standard size rooms with an interconnected bathroom) with views of the barn and the back of the hotel. The hotel is located in a secluded area south of town on a local highway that gets minimal traffic. It's a leisurely 10 minute drive to the Franconia Notch State Park. There are beautiful mountain views every way you turn, and plenty of public space to sit and relax outside of our rooms. The property is very large and includes trails leading to the river where there is a secluded swimming hole. You can also borrow bycicles and helmets - complimentary. In the winter time, they have snow tubes and a very nice sloped ground right behind the barn.
We had a B&B plan and the food served in the dining room was delicious. Hotel staff throughtout our stay was as friendly as can be. Dinner was a bit pricy - but other than that, we have no complaint.
We kept encountering other guests who were inquiring about future stays, so we know we were in VERY good company!

• Liked — Lovely, well-maintained country inn atmosphere.
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Randolph,NH.
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Stay away from this place. They are the most rude people on the face of the Earth. Guy even hung up on me, is that really how to run an inn?

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank EricJ73
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My husband and I went here for Christmas dinner on the evening of 12/25/07. When we arrived we were surprised to see a horsedrawn sleigh out in front of the hotel which takes guests for sleigh- drawn carriage rides.Wow!
The dining room itself was lovely and our meal was delicious .We started with two very good homemade salads with an excellent goat cheese, roasted pecans and dried cranberries. The wine list was reasonable. We had a bottle of Smoking Loon Chardonnay. For main dishes we both had an excellent roast duck which was served with black quinoa and roasted golden beets.For dessert we split a delicious bread pudding with coconut, dried cherries,etc. Overall a wonderful meal in a romantic setting. Highly recommended.A perfect meal after a day of skiing!
Barbara

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BHB1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Hillwinds Lodge
Hillwinds Lodge
#3 of 5 in Franconia

Been to Franconia Inn? Share your experiences!