All reviews waffles off the highway front desk staff santa's village breakfast room pool and hot tub easy access nice stay beautiful area one night stay bretton woods nice room local attractions fridge and microwave new hampshire franconia notch cannon mountain
Reviewed August 24, 2018

Context: we recently lost my grandmother (mom's side), and for mom's 60th birthday we planned a trip to Santa's Village as a family (my parents, my wife and I, and our 2 kids). Things have been rough for our family lately but we've looked forward to this opportunity to just enjoy some time together. My father reserved 2 rooms at the Best Western White Mountain Inn for Saturday, 8/25 (tomorrow), and all was thought to be set.

I called today to confirm that we were set to bring a dog to the room for my wife and I, and was unaware I had to book a specific room way ahead of time. Our dog is an 8 lb Havanese (does not shed) who is potty trained and is in training to be a therapy dog for my wife. I was told we could bring him, but it would be an extra 100 dollars "cleaning fee" (must be an expensive vacuum!) instead of 20. I explained that in a similar situation at a different hotel, the staff was understanding and waived the additional fee, and explained my story.

The staff member on the phone was entirely unsympathetic and very rude and snarky. After becoming frustrated with the attitude, I said I felt like this was BS (except I used the word), and the staff member hung up on me. I admittedly should not have used that word, but as I said, we are under circumstances that have me on edge, and this was just the final straw in terms of stuff that could go wrong. At no point did I raise my voice, use any other language, attack the staff member personally, or say anything else that could be perceived as offensive. I indicated I would not be recommending the hotel to anyone I know and that I felt the treatment I was receiving was unacceptable (referring more to the customer service than the actual issue with the pet room).

Upon calling back, the staff member answered the phone, told me she would not talk to me, that she was cancelling both reservations, and hung up on me again. After this, she would not answer any additional calls.

I called Best Western corporate, who called the hotel and found out that the manager had ordered her to cancel both reservations (despite the fact my parents were not involved and had nothing to do with this, and the reservations were under their name not mine), as well as add all of our names to their "Do Not Reserve" list so that we may never again stay at their property. The corporate folks apologized profusely, and indicated they could do nothing as this is an independent franchise. They read me the statement from the staff member at the hotel, who had overstated my words and approach tremendously, and ensured that my side was accurately captures as well, which I appreciated.

At the end of the day, I just wanted to cancel the 2nd room, stay home with my wife and dog, and let my parents enjoy my kids for the night before heading to Santa's Village the next day. While I shouldn't have said BS, the immediate move to cancel our reservations and ban us from ever staying there again (especially my parents, who did nothing wrong) was just so incredibly uncalled for, and showed a total lack of humanity on the part of the hotel staff member and manager. If I was truly rude or made the call personal, I would be all for banning me. I can be a jerk sometimes. But at no point did I reach that point on this call.

I called back to apologize and was told the manager would call me at 3 when he got in. He did not call me, and when I called to speak to him, I was told "he comes and goes as he pleases, there's no saying exactly when he'll be here". Completely unhelpful. I am trying to get this to a resolution and handle the issue professionally, but continue to encounter the opposite.

Despite not staying there, based on this experience I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. It sounds like this is not an isolated customer service approach or incident, judging by other reviews, so I feel completely justified in leaving this review. I travel extensively for business and stay at hotels of all shapes and sizes all over the country, and while I've encountered less-than-optimal customer service before, this experience has ruined the weekend for my entire family, put a cloud over my mom's birthday, and added one more negative experience to what's been a challenging couple of months for our family. A little bit of empathy and understanding in their approach could have gone a long way.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
FrontDesk_GM, General Manager at Best Western White Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Dear Guest,
We would like to begin by saying that we are sorry for your recent loss and hardship. While we understand that circumstances in life can affect and place a burden on other events, we do not believe this is a reason to treat others disrespectfully. Our team is dedicated to upholding a high standard of customer service and we pride ourselves on delivering friendly and professional care to all our guests. However, we expect the same courtesy in return and believe respect is a two-way street. Contrary to your sentiment in the review, the attitude and tone you expressed when speaking to our staff member was unnecessary and impolite. During your conversation with our staff, you used inappropriate, disrespectful language. For this reason, we, unfortunately, had to come to the decision to not allow you or your family at our hotel. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you.
We wish you and your family all the best in your future travels and we hope you enjoyed Santa's Village.

Reviewed August 22, 2018

Hotel is well-sited in Franconia, in beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire.
Rooms were clean and nicely furnished. The handicap-accessible room had a tub with a portable shower seat, not a wheelchair-accessible shower, however. Our rooms were immediately off the Lobby area, but noise was only a problem early morning with guests going to breakfast room. Desk and breakfast attendants were prompt and friendly. Minor problem with room door bolt was fixed promptly. Breakfast room was small, but very well stocked with a variety of items, including eggs and bacon, hot and cold cereals, pastries and waffles. Gluten Free items were available upon request, needed and much appreciated! A washer and dryer are downstairs, soap and dryer sheets are available at the front desk. All were very reasonably priced. A small workout room had 3 machines in good working condition. I did not use the indoor pool, but it seemed popular with families.
Our stay was for two nights, wish it had been longer! So much to see and do in the area.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
FrontDesk_GM, General Manager at Best Western White Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Dear Julia,
We couldn't possibly be any more grateful to receive your detailed review! We're thrilled to see that we were able to meet your expectations with a welcoming room, delicious breakfast, attentive service, and nice workout room. Also, we know how important it is to stay in a great location when you're in a new place, and we're happy that ours was convenient for you. From our entire team here at Best Western White Mountain Inn, we appreciate your business and hope to have you back soon for another relaxing visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

We spent a night. Hotel correct. Too much of a queue for breakfast. Nice and comfortable bed. Old style that needs upgrading. Reasonably quite. Easy access. Ideal for a stop along the way but would not return if not necessary

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
FrontDesk_GM, General Manager at Best Western White Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2018

Dear Xavier,
We are pleased to read that we could offer an ideal stop for you during your journey. Our clean and quiet accommodations here in our beautiful area are perfect for an unbeatable value. We hope that our breakfast was still a great boost to your morning despite any delay! It is our goal to improve with every stay and we believe that there is so much to enjoy here with us. Please reconsider visiting with us again so that we can provide an even better experience.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is very secluded and very nice. The rooms are very old it seems, my AC kept me up most nights but kept me cool. Staff was okay, breakfast was better than average, a lot of information in the lobby, spiral staircase is neat. Not very crowded at all.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
FrontDesk_GM, General Manager at Best Western White Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback on your recent stay here at the Best Western White Mountain Inn. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful decor and delicious breakfast during your visit. We'll be sure to notify our maintenance team of the noise you experienced from the AC, but we're happy to hear it kept your room cool. Hopefully, you will enjoy your next stay with us even more, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2018

Although this hotel is right off the interstate which allows easy access, there is not much around. We had to drive to Littleton to eat. The room was clean and a good size and the breakfast was typical. What we did not like was the chlorine smell throughout the hotel. They need a better filtration system.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Jill,
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit. It's great to know that you enjoyed our large, clean rooms and that you were able to enjoy breakfast during your stay. While we're happy to hear that our proximity to the highway was a positive of your visit, we're sorry to hear that you felt we were too far from dining options. During your next trip to the area, we look forward to providing you with an even better stay.