“Like Mary Poppins, perfect in every way.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franconia
Franconia Notch Guest House
Ranked #3 of 5 Franconia B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Franconia Notch Guest House is my husband's and my new favorite B+B. First, it's the cleanest bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in. When I say clean, I'm talking not a speck of dust, not under the bed, not on the baseboards, not on the headboards of the beds- nothing. Secondly, the inn feels modern. It's not filled with creepy antiques you're afraid to go near. There was hot water for at least the three of us to take long showers in the morning. The shower was large and modern. The towels were heavenly soft. There was even a flat screen tv that we didn't use, which is rare in a b+b. And there was not a trace of musty smell anywhere in the inn. Trust me, I have a nose for musty smell.

Secondly, the location is perfect for visiting the White Mountains. It's not far off the highway, but it still feels secluded. The view from our room and the backyard was beautiful. We even saw two bears during out stay!

Next, the breakfasts. I was expecting cold cereal, instant oatmeal, maybe muffins. Nope. Each morning, we woke to the smell of eggs and pancakes or french toast. And when I say pancakes, I don't mean Bisquick and some Aunt Jemima. I mean homemade banana and blueberry pancakes that rivaled the best I've ever had. And of course, there was also fruit, juice, coffee and tea, oatmeal, even banana bread! Also, I appreciated that the breakfast was set out help-yourself buffet-style. Why don't all bed and breakfasts do this? I could take only what I wanted and as much as I wanted. I didn't feel obligated to "finish my plate," as I usually do at other b+bs.

Lastly, the innkeepers, Pauline and Tom were amiable without being intrusive. They were easy to talk to, but didn't make us feel like conversation with us was an obligation. They were knowledgable about the area and provided helpful advice on our hiking expedition.

My husband, father, and I stayed the weekend for my father's birthday. The inn was perfect for family. However, I think it would also be a romantic destination, and I have a feeling my husband and I will be going back alone for a couple's weekend someday.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank the2roadtrippers
There are newer reviews for Franconia Notch Guest House

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife, our 3-month-old and I spent 2 wonderful nights with Tom and Pauline at their guest house. The house itself is perfectly located at the northern end of the Franconia Notch within a few minutes drive from Flume Gorge and some serious hiking, including the Appalachian Trail. They have done an amazing job restoring the house; it is the kind of place you imagine staying in when you visit New England! Tom and Pauline have truly found their calling with the welcome they gave us! Pauline even offered to babysit for us! Ask for Pauline's pancakes and French toast. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My sister in law was visiting from Hong Kong, so we took her up North to explore the White Mountains. The Guest House is centrally located to the many wonders of nature in the White Mountains. We booked a room at the Guest House for a night and spent 2 days exploring. Our room was beautiful, the hosts are very friendly. We much enjoyed relaxing on the porch watching the humming birds feed and a family of black bears frequented the field out back. Very relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent two wonderful days in the White Mountains and stayed in Pauline and Tom's lovely guest house. Our hosts were incredibly welcoming, friendly and helpful and we were sad that we couldn't stay longer. The guest house is very cosy whilst also being extremely spacious. As the building is newly converted, everything is in excellent order and to a high standard. Pauline's homemade breakfast was simply delicious! We will definitely return to this delightful place as soon as we get the chance.

Vicki and Berti from England and Germany

1  Thank Vicki G
Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you want a place where you can relax and feel like family, be sure to visit Pauline and Tom. The rooms are very clean, breakfast was MORE than filling, and we liked sitting in the great room where there is a wonderful fireplace and piano. We also enjoyed the back porch in the mornings and the evenings..drinking coffee and watching for the bear and hummingbirds.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the Lincoln room...great bathroom and great view.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

we met pauline & tom as the previous owners of Stonybrook Motel just after my parents sold their house in Franconia to move to sunny Florida. They were the most perfect hosts and welcomed our very large group with open arms. We would visit every winter for skiing and summer on our motorcycles~!!!
We are very excited they have opened another place and have been up several times to visit~!!!
Keep up the good work, you guys are amazing~!!
Cindy & Wayne Wetterman and all the gang~!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you're looking to spend some time in the Franconia Notch region (and you really should - Franconia Notch State Park alone is worth the drive up there), you should give Pauline and Tom a call. I had brought my boyfriend up for a birthday getaway, and our stay at the Franconia Notch Guest House was really the icing on the cake.

The place is lovely - an old barn Pauline and Tom restored themselves. You walk in to a huge, warmly lit great room with a big stone fireplace and spacious deck that overlooks their backyard and the mountains beyond. The rooms are cozy and clean, the beds comfy and warm, and each room has a private bath and a view of the mountains. The guest quarters are separate from Pauline and Tom's living quarters, which is great for couples or people who just want a little privacy. Pauline and Tom themselves are wonderful hosts, warm, friendly, and accommodating. By the end of the visit you feel like you've just spent a few days with good friends. When I asked Pauline if there were any restaurants around that had good mac and cheese she actually called up a few places to ask, then wrote me directions to them! But by far the best part of our stay was waking up from an excellent night's sleep to a sumptuous breakfast. We were treated to blueberry pancakes and spinach quiche (both from scratch) with coffee, cocoa, orange juice, fresh water mellon, bagels, and oatmeal. We ate on the deck (which was practically swarming with humming birds) where we watched a family of bears lounging in the yard. Don't worry, the yard is ENORMOUS and the bears never get close - Pauline's got a set of binoculars if you want to get a better look.

Needless to say, we were sorry to leave the Guest House, and we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: All rooms have a TV, private bath, and a lovely view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#3 of 5 in Franconia
Lovett's Inn
Lovett's Inn
#5 of 5 in Franconia

Been to Franconia Notch Guest House? Share your experiences!