“Wonderful place, excellent value”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Franconia
Gale River Motel and Cottages
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Franconia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Virtually everything has been thought of at the Gale River Motel. Menus, maps, and some discounts to local establishments are available. The staff is very helpful in providing recommendations and directions. Pop is already stocked in the in room fridge and its purchase is cheap and on the honor system. The on site pool and hot tub are very nice and shuffle board and horse shoes are are right next to the pool for guests to play. A small complimentary gift basket is provided in the room and valet laundry is available at a very reasonable price.

The motel is nicely located just north of Franconia Notch State Park and just south of Littleton (a quaint town with some nice churches, restaurants, and shops). You can see the beautiful white mountains clearly from the door to each motel room.

We stayed at multiple very nice locales during our trip in New England but none had quite the same sweet personal friendly touch that the Gale River Motel had. Kudos to Kevin and the staff!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank GrowinGrace
GaleRiverMotel, Owner at Gale River Motel and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review about your recent stay at the Gale River Motel...I am especially appreciative of the recognition that you paid to my staff who have worked diligently throughout the summer to provide our guests with clean, comfortable and worry-free lodging. From Katy at the front desk who greeted everyone with a smile and a friendly greeting, to the housekeepers who cared for the rooms and responded to guests requests without fail. I have been fortunate to hire, train, and recognize the efforts of wonderful young people who "make it happen" at the Gale River Motel each and every summer. Similiar accolades from the guests are even more cherished and appreciated.

There are newer reviews for Gale River Motel and Cottages

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Last year we stayed at Best Western. This year we stayed at the Gale. From now on when visiting the White Mountains we will always stay at the Gale. It was very well maintained. Pool was beautiful and clean. Has a fabulous view of Cannon Mountain. Also learned how to conserve water when having a shower. There is a switch to turn the water off when lathering up and then switch back when ready to rinse. We will be adding one to our own shower at home. Thanks for a great stay Kevin. Will see you again soon.
Deb and Steve

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve K
GaleRiverMotel, Owner at Gale River Motel and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for the very kind words...especially pleased that the eco-friendly practices at the Gale River will have a positive impact on your water conservation practices at home....that was one of my goals in offering guests all the in-room information on our efforts at the Gale River to be "green" in the hopes that some of what we do here will be taken home by guests and used to help them save resources and money. Will be looking forward to welcoming you folks back again, hopefully I'll have discovered additional tips for you to try....

Reviewed August 2, 2012

iv e tryed alot of places in the white mountains and the gale river motel and cottages was one of the best i found they had a wonderful hot tub we enjoyed and pool the cabin we stayed in was so clean and after a long day of site seeing we kiced back and had steaks on the grill why'll the kids play in the nice keped yard thats was the most woderful and restfull we had in a long time thank you kevin for being the person you are WONDERFUL can't wate to go back again.

2  Thank maryjane b
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Decided to book the Gale River after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor. Our stay did not start out that great. I evidently booked the wrong dates. When I arrived Kevin had told me our reservation had been cancelled. However, instead of ruining our family vacation Kevin helped us out and we had a great time. He explained there was no cancellation fee as he had not turned away guests. He then helped us out by giving us our original booking for the 2 nights it was open. We then had to move rooms. However, Kevin went out of his way to move our bags for us to the open room, even found my daughters pacifier in the parking lot and washed it and left it on the dresser for us. He made a bon fire one night for the kids and even provided the marshmellows!. The chocolate chip cookies were great, 10% off dining in the area, and a continental breakfast, tea and cocoa were all added bonuses! Soda bar in the room, cliff bars complimentary, I could go on. Overall this was a beautiful setting with a VERY helpful host. Thank you Kevin, we will be back.

2  Thank Katie N
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is the second time I stayed at the Gale River Motel. Stayed only 1 night on our way to Maine. I cannot say enough about the cleanliness and helpfulness of the owner, Kevin. This is an older motel, but it has been updated and refurbished. It is comfortable and a very good value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This review is not about my stay there. I never had a chance to stay there. My experience is based on the phone call I made to inquire about staying there which happened as follows:
I called to request room availability and rates for 1 night. I explained that I was traveling through the area on my way to my final destination on the Northern Coast of Maine. The gentleman who answered the phone said "I have a 2 night minimum at that time." I explained my situation; that I just needed a place to sleep over night and I would be back on the road early the next morning-I couldn't find a room anywhere else. I really needed a place to just lay my head so I could make the last leg of my trip without falling asleep at the wheel. Is there any way he could please help me out? He said "NO, and I need to get off the phone because a good paying customer is on the other line!" Then he hung up. I was appalled! I will NEVER stay there. If the proprietor is willing to treat someone that rudely BEFORE they even become customers, than surely his motel will NEVER be up to my standards....

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank illumina_11
GaleRiverMotel, Owner at Gale River Motel and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

This lady called requesting a one-night reservation during a peak period during which a two-night minimum was required, a policy that apparently many other lodging properties had during this same time period as the woman reports not being able "to find a room anywhere else".
In taking this lady's call, I had placed another caller interested in actually booking a multi-night reservation on hold. After three requests by this lady to waive my two-night minimum, I explained that I had another guest on the other line who was interested in booking a reservation and that I had to get back to that reservation, I told her that I was sorry that I couldn't help her and said "good-bye". As I hit the hook-switch to transfer back to the guest on hold this lady yelled a frequently expressed expletive known as the F-bomb before the line went dead.
This is a review, clearly authored by an individual who didn't get what she wanted and chose to express her frustration in a childish and immature manner. The (140) four and five star reviews written by guests of the Gale River Motel over the years speaks to the courtesy, professionlism, hospitality, and service that is the standard at the Gale River Motel...This review tells you much more about it's author than it will ever tell you about the Gale River.
I have, for the first time in nine years, requested that TripAdvisor remove this review as it is clearly an attempt by a person who has never actually stayed at the Gale River Motel, offering a clearly unhelpful commentary that is in no way consistent with actual experiences of over one-hundred and forty other travelers, and is intended to smear and cause harm to the otherwise exemplary reputation of the property.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Gale river Motel is nothing fancy, but for what it is, it is outstanding. The main motel building appears to be older and the rooms are on the smaller side, but they are very clean and well maintained, and cleanliness is the most important thing for us. The friendly and welcoming owner is very attentive to good customer service, with cookies and tea available in the lobby, coffee machines and snacks in the room, and lots of good advice for area restaurants and attractions. The outdoor pool and jacuzzi are also exceedingly well maintained, and there is a kids play area too. And the price was right! This place is perfect for families. We would stay here again in a heartbeat and are pleased to recommend the Gale River Motel to visitors to Franconia and the White Mountain Region.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#4 of 5 in Franconia
Franconia Inn
Franconia Inn
#2 of 5 in Franconia

Been to Gale River Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!