Horse and Hound Inn
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge(Franconia)(Great Value!)
$69
$99
Orbitz.com
Littleton Motel(Littleton)(Great Value!)
$88
Country Squire Motel(Littleton)(Great Value!)
$69
All reviewscomplimentary brandynew englandwhite mountainsbeautiful librarycoddining roomcollection of bookswide pine floorssoup of the daythe great reviewsowner dougcleanest roomdelicious mealshaker stylepork schnitzelyogurtmultiple fireplaces
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I went there with friends this evening for dinner... and, all I will say is that I am in my late forties and tonight was the first night I have ever gotten goosebumps from a dish....the Salmon with the Blood Orange Buerre Blanc was amazing. Others had the tenderloin (gorgeous cut of meat and perfectly done), the pate as a starter (delicious), and even the vegetables were perfectly done.

We will be back. A lot.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Inn so cannot speak to the rooms....I accidentally clicked on the Sleep Quality rating above!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in October.
Very welcoming, great food and generally good service. Breakfast is casual and all home made and freshly prepared. If you stay and want to have dinner, and you should as the menu is excellent, book in advance as the restaurant gets busy with locals, and you can see why.
We had some poor dinner service on our second night and so we gave some feedback to one of the owners, Ken, who was genuinely pleased to get direct feedback.
This place deserves to be long term success and I for one hope that it is!
If you want somewhere to stay in Franconia then this should be it.
( The restaurant should also be listed as a stand alone entry too)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UkAwayfromhome
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed for two nights in September for our annual anniversary/hiking trip. The room was very comfortable and quiet with a nice view of the back yard. The food is very good (breakfast is included and you won't need lunch!) and the bartender makes great drinks! The staff is very friendly and helpful. It felt like we were staying with friends, right down to the dog, that you hardly notice. They have done a beautiful job renovating the inn, everything is top notch. Everything quiets down around 10pm which suited us just fine after a long day of hiking! And if you like to hike, this is a good spot from which to do so. It is also a lot less expensive than many other similar inns in that area. Hope to return!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have been renovated and are lovely. Check out the pictures on their website. I don't think there is much of a difference in the noise level of the various rooms. If you are over the dining room, you can hear the diners a little but it wasn't a bother. All is quiet after 10pm anyway.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolinedevlin
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed in the Horse and Hound for 5 nights and it was a fantastic experience. The inn itself is a beautiful old building, and the recent restoration work -- especially in the library and dining room -- has preserved that beauty.

Our hosts were always on hand and helpful if we had a question or problem. I had to get an emergency package delivered to the inn during our stay, and they were all over it -- they even offered to send it on to me if it happened to arrive after we'd left.

As the other reviews have said, the food here is incredible. Breakfasts are delicious, and dinner was even better. We both happen to be vegetarian, and our hosts handled this requirement very well. Plus, the bar's mixologist makes awesome cocktails using her own homemade preserved fruit.

In all, this was a great stay, and the highlight of our time in New England. Our only regret was that the bar and restaurant weren't open every night of the week!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2011

The Horse and Hound Inn was a very smart place to stay. It was warm, beautiful, we were well fed, and we thought it was reasonably priced. We were there for a romantic weekend of hiking in the stunning Franconia Notch. The inn was just what we needed with a large, hot shower, hearty breakfast, and gracious hosts. After a long day hiking, were were wrecked, and took advantage of the lovely restaurant run out of the inn in the evenings. The chicken pot pie was just what I needed after a chilly hike, and I only regret not having room for the clam chowder that smelled delicious, too. My only challenge was sleeping on the pillow-top mattress. Seriously. I know. Our bed at home is pretty firm. I would definitely recommend Ron and Ken's Horse and Hound Inn.

Room Tip: Room 1 is near the stairs and is probably loud on the bare wood stairs. If you need a firm mattress, you should mention it in your booking.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple