“Superb views/free trail”

Franconia Notch State Park
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Franconia
More attraction details
Owner description: Named one of the 12 best state parks in America.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I concur with other reviews. We initially headed for Flume Gorge but refused to pay $15 a head to see a waterfall when there appeared to be so many other options available for free; and having already visited Ripley Falls in the Green Mountains for free, decided to give it a miss. So took a snap of the wagon in the foyer, picked up some leaflets and headed off again. We ended up parking at the Lafayette campsite which was extremely busy, so I would suggest getting there early. We did a couple of circuits before we lucked out with someone leaving the car park and parked up. There were a number of trails to choose from and we opted for Lonesome Lake. The young lady at the information cabin on site advised us that this was steep in places - replace this with a continuous, pretty steep climb and a good amount of scrambling over stones/rocks which I enjoy. I would say we passed a family on the way up - 2 grandparents, 2 parents, with 2 toddlers and carrying a baby - and I seriously did not think we would see them at the top. It took them about an extra hour than us (it took us about 1 1/2 hours), but on our tour of the lake we bumped into them, looking exhausted but pleased they had made it. We congratulated them on making it and took a picture for them on their camera to mark their stupendous achievement.
The pictures attached hopefully give a feel of how beautiful it was at the top. We paid a visit to the Lonesome Lake Hut where we ate our picnic whilst it rained slightly and had an interesting cup of coffee, before heading back down. On the way down the rain continued, only heavier, and we passed a number of families with very young children who were whinging terribly. I dont think I would want to have attempted this walk with toddlers or babies in tow, but our 14 year old managed it easily. Good day out.

2  Thank Payner41

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great place to explore nature. We took the time to hike the gorge and rode the tram. Great way to spend a day.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Nice hike to the notch and great Flume! So much history there! All four of us enjoyed the day so much! Worth the time to stop!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

So many natural wonders to visit! This was my first trip and I could stay forever!! The Flume gorge and the Lost River caves are a must!!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Franconia Notch is truly one of the beautiful places to go. The scenery is breathtaking. We come to hike in the area every year and my first glimpse of Franconia Notch never ceases to astound me. I love it!

1  Thank Paula G