“Still nice to see”

Old Man of the Mountain Profile Plaza
Ranked #6 of 17 things to do in Franconia
More attraction details
Owner description: Formerly New Hampshire's best known landmark, this rock formation resembling a man's profile collapsed on May 3, 2003.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I agree that unless you have a long term relationship with NH, and this landmark, you won't get much out of the experience. However, I did find it nice to revisit just because the location hasn't changed a bit since I was a child and brought back pleasant memories. Still a worth while excursion on a quiet afternoon in my opinion.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

In Terminal E at Boston's Logan Airport, I had just returned from a month in Russia and heard someone comment that "the old man has fallen". An EMT with experience of elderly falls, I looked around and inquired where this person might be. No, "The Old Man of the Mountains in Franconia" came the quick response. As this information began to sink in, I thought that this long expected loss had taken place and I was not even around to mourn its loss. On the drive to my home in Sugar Hill, less than 10 miles from where the rubble from this once proud monument now rested on a steep talus slope of fractured granite. Passing underneath the Franconia Cliffs over Profile Lake where the thousands of years of erosion- and gravity-challenged granite had added to that massive pile, I strained to find any sign that "he" might still be there, but only a scar remained against the cliffs where the official symbol of the State of New Hampshire once sat watching all who passed beneath along the Route 3/-I93 Parkway.
On May 3, 2003 someone noticed that the symbol was no longer on the cliffside as he had slipped unnoticed in the fog of the night. In May 2008 I attended the fifth year memorial ceremony to note the passing of this monument and to discuss plans to celebrate The Old Man on a continuing basis. A legacy fund was established and volunteer contributions keep coming in to place personalized paver stones at the lakeside plaza below.
On May 3 2013, I attended the tenth year memorial and remember honoring This Old Man in 1955 when sitting President Dwight David Eisenhower attended the 150th birthday party for the Old Man. As a 17 year old boy I was thrilled to shake the hands of a real US President, who then issued a green three cent US postage stamp in memory of this monument. That was first class letter postage then.
We locals support the notion that he was discovered in 1805 by land surveyors working below, but it was pointed out to me last week by a native American attending the ceremony that we Europeans think we discovered many things in the land over which the American Indians had kept watch for thousands of years
After reading two of the reviewers who claim this "remembering" is a joke, I think they perhaps don't spend much time in cemeteries reflecting on what has happened before "we" arrived here. For me, the Old Man of the Mountains continues to mark my passage on this planet and has some meaning beyond postcard views.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My title says it all. I lived in New England from the time I was 15 until I was 57, and I never saw the attraction. We would stop while we were driving elsewhere, and I would see this rock profile. Ho hum. I can find profiles of people just about anywhere-the Old man just had better PR. Now that he is gone all you see is a cliff. Keep driving to the beautiful places in the state.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had seen the Old Man of the Mountain when I was very young. So I was upset to hear it had disappeared. I had wanted to show my son. We walked the very nice path to the lake and read all the stones and signs. They have a way for you to look up at the mountain and see where he was and try to picture it. The lake underneath the mountain is very pretty. A beautiful setting.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Don't listen to the brochures! He is NOT back! Unfortunately I never got to see the real Old Man, but what they have added here now is a joke. It is not a far walk if you want to at least see where he used to be. The mountains and lake are still pretty. But what they've done is added these metal poles on the ground where you have to stand at a specific spot and aim your camera at it so it lines up with where the Old Man used to be. They tried, I guess. But don't get your hopes up.