“Everything you want in a hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersSilver level
Connectcut
“Everything you want in a hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Myself, wife and 9 year old daughter wanted to go to Hampton Beach this summer but we did not want to stay in a "beach motel". We trust the Marriott brand more than any other, so we choose to stay at the Fairfield Inn. What a fabulous place. The room was bright, nicely decorated, comfortable, quiet and IMMACULATE.

The staff is nicer than any I have ever experienced. Even though we went for Hampton Beach, thanks to Liz we discoved downtown Exeter - and a great shandwich shop, Me and Ollies. Morgan and Tim helped us with resurant choices for dinner and Michael made us all waffles for breakfast. They are more like a family than a group of hotel employees and they make their guests feel like family as well.

The location is excellent. 10-15 mins to Hampton Beach...15 to Portsmouth...20 - 30 to the Kittery outlets and York Beach and Lobsters in Maine. Plus, everything in the hotel works...plenty of hot water and water presure; quiet rooms; comfy beds; free WiFi; clean hallways and common areas; nice heated pool; side entrances that make coming and going easy.

If you need to be in the greater Exeter area, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kprat677, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this review, August 17, 2010
Thank you for such a kind rating of Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Exeter. Liz, Morgan, Tim and Mike are all an integral part of our team and you could not be more correct, we are a big family!

Exeter is such a great area to discover as it is so rich in American history and we really enjoy how centrally located we are to everything in the NH Seacoast.

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your Trip Advisor counterparts!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

The Fairfield Inn & Suites in Exeter is a wonderful hotel perfect for a getaway to NH. It is located in Exeter which is central to all of southern NH. Beaches are only 30 mins away, Portsmouth 20 mins, Manchester 30-40 mins. We stayed for three nights over the July 4th holiday. I believe the place sells out quickly, so make your reservations at least two weeks in advance. My wife and I travelled with our 18 month old daughter.

Reservation - I reserved a suite with king bed. At the time of reservation, I requested a crib. They have portable pack'n'plays for the kids.

Locating the hotel - We easily found the hotel. It is just off Rt 101 on Rt 108. We originally flew into Boston Logan Airport and rented a car. We drove from Boston to Exeter without difficulty.

Check-In - Upon check-in, we were greeted by Liz. Although, check-in is 3pm, we arrived at 12pm. Since our daughter naps between 1pm and 3pm we were hoping to get into the room early. Liz was very accommodating and had the room ready with pack'n'play within 5 mins. We can not express how grateful we are for this kind service.

Room/Suite - Again, we stayed in a king bed suite. It was clean and spacious enough for a family of 3. There is a partial wall between the sitting area and the bedroom, but no true wall/door. It worked well enough with the baby sleeping at 8pm and my wife and I staying awake watching tv, reading, etc. The bathroom was very nice, our daughter had a great time playing in the bath tub.

Breakfast - The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast. There are waffles/waffle iron, breads, cereals, muffins, fruits, yogurts, jimmie dean breakfast sandwiches, quiche and all types of breakfast beverages. The breakfast is a good breakfast to start the day. The breakfast area is also open throughout the day/night. We used this for meals/snacks for our daughter. Although the food was put away, one of the staff would bring out a highchair and offer us food. Again, they were very kind.

Check-out - Checking out was easy, we just told them how wonderful our stay was and gave them our keys. We were on the road in minutes heading to Boston.

Other - The hotel has two computers for your business needs. They also have a smaller sized indoor swimming pool which is fun for the kids. We enjoyed taking our daughter into the pool.

Exeter has many things to do. We enjoyed ourselves at the Farmer's Market on Swasey Parkway. We ate delicious apple donuts, fresh blueberries and homemade cheeses. We bought fresh NH maple syrup and wine. Overall, Exeter is a beautiful town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WOW! What a wonderful review of our hotel! You should write for a travel publication, if you don't already. Thank you for painting such a vivid picture of your experience with us. We are very grateful that you and your family enjoyed the time you had together and that we were able to play a part in such a great vacation.

Thank you for all of the positive feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

After a long trip, walking into an establishment with such friendly courteaous people was very welcome. Morgan made us feel right at home from the minute we entered the lobby. I have stayed at many places, but never have I felt so comfortable or had the staff go above and beyond to make us feel right at home. The Fairfield is a beautiful establishment with a very friendly, helpful staff, beginning with the management, the cleaning staff is great,( thank you Sherry) friendly and very knowlegable of the area as well as the rest of the staff. The experience was so great we even returned for a second night, not wanting to leave this wonderful area. We strongly recommend this facility to anyone who wants a wonderful experience.
Julie

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kprat677, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this review, July 29, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind comments and exelent rating of our hotel. We are very proud of the service frame of mind of our staff. They have the passion for exceeding guest expectations, and it is so nice to get the positvie feedback. We are also proud of our property with our bright and cheerful accommodations and public spaces.

We look forward to seeing you again when your travels return you to Exeter.
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

Cute little Fairfield Inn and Suites. Exactly what you would expect from Marriott. Only issue would be what they call a brand standard, the sheets and towels. Fairfield Inns are known for not having the top line of linens. Marriott makes sure they Fairfield Inns only go so far. I think Marriott should worry about brand standards on what is at least expected instead of making sure a hotel doesn't offer service that would compete with their other brands like Courtyard or Springhill.

Other wise it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
kprat677, Guest Care Representative at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this review, March 2, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are grateful for the feedback we receive from our guests, and truly appreciated your very kind remarks.

I will forward your comment regarding the linens to the appropriate team members within the Marriott organization.

We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to the Exeter area.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

This hotel has it figured out! They are knowledgeable, friendly and most of all nice people. The front desk attendants who had checked me in for my stay had professional and TACTful answers for all of my questions. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone passing through or anyone who is looking to get away!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EFFIS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this review, December 24, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future!
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2009

My family loved everything about this hotel and would have returned if not for our experience with the management. My husband and I reserved two rooms under our debit card but wished to pay with other means upon checkout. We specifically asked during check-in whether or not there would be a charge OR a hold on our bank account, we were told "absolutely not, it is just for reservation purposes". If we had been told that our account would be charged, we would have chosen other payment at the time of check-in.
Upon seeing that our card was in fact charged AND an additional hold placed on our account we called the front desk and were told to call back with our other means of payment, which we did.
The following day we called back, as our bank account showed no refund for the charges. I asked to speak with a manager and was transferred. I explained the situation and asked for a the money to be returned as we had already paid for our rooms by other means.
The manager was extremely rude and condescending and at one point stated "I have a bank account, I know how these things work" when I tried to explain that we had been charged twice.
In the end, the issue is still not resolved and I have been charged for 3 rooms instead of 2.
It is unfortunate that such a nice hotel is overshadowed by poor customer service. A little tact would go a long way.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mbartholdson
EFFIS, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
Dear Bartholdson party,

I want to take this opportunity to apologize to you for your experience with us this week. It is never our intention to create any problems for any guest.

I've experienced the very same issue in the past where I used my debit card to check into a hotel. I learned from that experience that a "hold" is placed for a certain dollar amount, usually enough to cover payment for the entire stay. I used cash upon check out, however, the hold was still on my debit card. I was informed that even though the hotel releases the hold immediately, it can take the banking institution between 7 - 21 days.

I understand this can be an extremely difficult situation, as that hold can tie up a large part of your money for an extended period of time. For that reason I now either use a credit card upon check in, or if the hotel allows, a cash payment right up front, eliminating the use of my debit card.

As a result of your difficulties our hotel has updated our policy, and we will inform every guest who presents a debit card of the "hold" that will be placed. That way they will know right up front, and will have the option to make different payment arrangements if they prefer.

I want to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, which allowed us to make the necessary corrections to our process.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the excellent service and accommodations you deserve should your travels bring you back to the Exeter area.
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

I stayed at your hotel the on October 3rd and 4th. I had many questions about the area and where I could go walking in the morning. Jennifer told me about Swasey Park and looked up information for me and then came and slipped it under my door. The front desk even printed directions to the malls and told us about new hampshire being tax free. They went over and beyond to make my stay very plesant. My room was very clean, great job housekeeping. I will recommend your hotel to anyone coming to new hampshire or maine.
Thank you again and I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank maxamoo
kprat677, Guest Care Representative at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this review, November 25, 2009
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write a review of Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Exeter.

Our goal is to exceed the expectations of all our guests, and your kind comments have let the staff know their efforts are being noticed.

We are grateful you selected our beautiful hotel to be your home away from home last October, and we look forward to providing you with the same warm, welcoming atmosphere you deserve the next time you visit the Exeter area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Hampton Village Resort
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter? Share your experiences!