Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the Elite Dance Competition the weekend of April 26th. The front desk staff was wonderful. As I was checking in the girl told me they were going to give me two rooms (for the price of one) and I thought OK sounds good. Until we started talking about it and I realized they were across the hall from each other. It would have been fine if I had another adult with me but it was just my daughter and myself. After all they did, I had to say no and stick with the room I had reserved. She went one step further and offered me a king suite with a separate king room and a living room with a pull out couch, again for the same price I was paying for a standard room. I said OK. They did everything possible to upgrade me and I totally appreciated it.
The room was nice and it was perfect for us. My daughter had her space, I had mine.
The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom was very clean, and the only bad thing I have to say is we ran out of toilet paper and tissues. Not a big deal.
We were on the third floor. Very quiet. The only time I heard nice was with the other kids were running up and down the hallway. There were lots of kids at the hotel this weekend, so I expected that. They offer a decent breakfast (free) each morning, take advantage of it, it's good.
I would stay at this hotel again if I was out that way. I only regret I didn't get the names of the two women working the night I checked in (4/27/13), they were both so nice and pleasant to work with and I would love to give them a shout out!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
EFFIS, Public Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you so very much for your kind words. We are so happy to hear that our staff made sure that your stay was exceptional, and were able to provide you with a room that met your needs. We will make sure that the Guest Service Associates are aware of your praise. We hope to see you and your family in the future!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have to admit that my expectations were not high as I'd been lucky enough to stay in three different Four Seasons Hotels over the past two weeks before arriving in Exeter. However, the Fairfield was exceptional. The location, for us, was perfect as it provided easy access to the highway and to town (and the Phillips Exeter campus). The interiors were bright and cheerful, immaculately clean and perfectly maintained. I loved that the decor was bold and not the typical safe, drab beige of most hotels. Most importantly, the rooms were very thoughtfully designed and very functional. We stayed in a "larger guest room" with two double beds and a sofa bed. It was far more functional than many luxury suites I've stayed in. The sitting room was separated slightly from the bedroom by the geometry of the room. This meant that someone could use the desk, hang out or sleep on the sofa, or watch TV without bothering those sleeping in the main bedroom area. There were two TVs, a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, free Wifi, etc. There is no room service but there are basic grocery items available downstairs and a simple breakfast (hardly memorable but got the job done) available in the morning and fast, delicious, and inexpensive pizza delivery from nearby restaurants. This room could easily accommodate a family for an extended stay. The indoor pool seemed to be getting lots of use and I saw many families on the property. We were supposed to stay just one night and then travel on to Boston but the city was in lockdown due to the hunt for the marathon bomber so the Fairfield very kindly juggled things around so that we could stay in our room a second night. When next in Exeter, I'll definitely stay at the Fairfield again and will look for these properties in other cities (if I can't stay at the Four Seasons!).

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
EFFIS, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! It is wonderful to hear from first time guests and are thrilled that your stay was exceptional! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

During a recent stay, we commented on some cleanliness issues, and were taken seriously. Poor signage from the main road. The typical included breakfast was not remarkable, and the caretaker seemed to be put out by having to restock items as they were used.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
EFFIS, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. All guest feedback, be it positive or negative, helps us improve upon our products and services we deliver.

Our promise to you is to offer clean, comfortable accommodations along with excellent guest service. I am sorry to hear we failed to keep our promises to you during your most recent visit. I am looking forward to sharing this feedback with our associates at our daily meetings. We can all learn from this unfortunate experience and better service our future guests based on your feedback. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve and thank you again for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nothing fancy, extremely small but extremely clean pool, comfortable bed and bedding, very sufficient breakfast, excellent staff. Only negative was a funky odor in some of the rooms, front desk happily moved us. Also close to shopping, restaurants and activities. I would stay again.

Room Tip: For a family of 5 they have great adjoining rooms. Free Internet and use of their computers and prin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
EFFIS, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative. Our goal is to offer clean, comfortable accommodations with great guest service. We are sorry that during your stay we you initially found your room not up to Fairfield Standards. We are glad that our Guest Service Associates were able to rectify the issue, and find a room that met your expectations. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The staff were very, very helpful, friendly and welcoming, despite a very busy evening. They deserve at least 5 stars.
The hotel itself was only OK - the rooms were small and had motion controlled a/c which could only go down to 65F and went on / off all night making the room very hot. The hotel itself was cheaply built so there was lots of noise when the soccer kids ran up and down the corridors during the late evening / night – we were on the top floor so imagine it would be even worse on the lower floors The room doors were heavy fire doors which closed slowly and very loudly. The decor was nice and fairly new, and the bed comfy however the room carpets looked scruffy (design rather than lack of housekeeping). The staff deserve much better.

Room Tip: Top floor is probably quietest, but there is noise from corridors
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
EFFIS, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property, your comments are very much valued. We will be sure to pass along your kind words regarding our excellent staff. We hope to see you at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I always make my initial assessment of a hotel from the greeting and friendliness of the front desk. We were greeted by Katy who was there throughout our stay. She is exceptional and stands out in the hotels I have stayed in. The property is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
EFFIS, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for your recent review! We greatly appreciate your recognition of our Guest Service Associate Kate. I have printed a copy of your review for the entire staff to see. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so I did reserve this room through priceline but I paid 99 for the night which was an "express deal" I have used priceline before and ended up in the "smaller room reserved for priceline reservations" and I can tell you if you use priceline that will happen here. This room is super small with a king bed. Place is new, people are friendly but I am thankful that I will be only one night in this teeny space.

• Stayed: March 2013
EFFIS, Guest Relations Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative. We do hope that you will change your mind and give us another look.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Exeter Inn
Exeter Inn
#3 of 3 in Exeter
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast
Residence Inn by Marriott Portsmouth

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Portsmouth Exeter? Share your experiences!