“Delicious Duck”

Epoch Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Epoch Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 51 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Transit: Stops in front of Inn Coast bus
Description: We welcome you to Epoch Restaurant and Bar located in Exeter NH. Join us for casually elegant dining featuring the freshest seacoast of New Hampshire products creatively presented. Our award winning kitchen staff takes great pride in serving only the most exquisite food to our guests. Come try this new creative restaurant with great service and outstanding food.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I ate here with my husband on Saturday. The restaurant was not crowded so we were seated right away. I thought the drinks were overpriced; the food was pricey too, but very good. I ordered the duck- it was a little rare for my taste, but otherwise tasty, as were the lentils. My husband had the pork which he said was pretty good. I almost always get creme brulee when we go out to eat...Epoch's was definitely one of the best. The only reason we wouldn't go back is the prices are a little high.

There are newer reviews for Epoch Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed August 4, 2014

For a steak restaurant, their steaks are not all that good. Also, they come with their special oregano Parmesan fries that were cold and soggy. And service is slow. Wine selection by the glass is not very good. I would try something else in Exeter before coming here.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Went to Epoch on a nice summer weeknight specifically to eat out on the “garden patio”. Once we pulled into the parking lot we were greeted by a two story air conditioner that sounded like an airplane engine. Although off to the side of the patio it was a constant noise that deterred the beautiful ambiance of the patio itself. We arrived way early and they were very kind to accommodate us anyway. We were seated at a very nice table overlooking the lawn and gazebo with very high hedges around the perimeter to give the garden a kind of natural wall of green. Then we ran into some problems. We had (as always) studied the menu on the WEB before we arrived, the drinks menu had a “Red Bird” on the WEB and we were excited to try it. However, when we got there the drink was not on the menu and the server couldn't recall what it was so we had to substitute. Pet peeves, if you are going to have a WEB presence, keep it fresh. We decided on a martini, when it arrived, a lot of it was on the server’s tray and we were informed that when he stopped suddenly the drinks didn't. Odd, to say the least. After the drinks were delivered we were served complimentary olive bread with nice dipping oil and some excellent butter but, no plates. I ended up holding the bread in the air and buttering it. Small plates would have been nice.

For appetizer, I ordered my usual crab cakes, my dining partner ordered the calamari. Crab cakes were a little bland, deep fried with a crunchy breading. However, what they were on was curious. The menu said a Celery Salad and, Sweet Pickle Remoulade. It was like thick white goo. I thought it was supposed to be a sauce but found out later it was supposed to be a salad. Not good. My dining companion ordered the calamari. I understand calamari can be prepared in many different ways. This was cooked in a sauce. It was a generous portion but lacking in texture.

My dining companion ordered the “bronzed” scallops and I ordered the pork tenderloin for our entrees. One bite into the scallops and the overwhelming salt flavor made them almost inedible. We had to send them back and ask for it to be remade with no salt, even then the salt flavor was too much. The pork was “well salted” but it was edible. The scallop dish was half eaten and very disappointing. Trust me, we are not adverse to using salt in food but this was overpowering. Like the specialty drinks menu, the physical wine list didn't match the WEB wine list and then upon checkout, we were charged $62 for a $32 bottle of wine. Luckily I caught it, and was informed that it was “due to things changing” I usually don’t check the bill before giving a server my credit card but I am glad I did this time.

Epoch used to be on our “special occasion” rotation of establishments to eat. Sadly, it has been removed from that list and we were (and are) truly disappointed by that fact.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

While staying for a quick overnight there, we assumed we would find a place (husband craved a lobster) outside the Inn. After taking a look at the menu, the choice to stay put was a no-brainer. Simply put, every thing we dined on was absolutely delicious. Lobster roll on fresh, buttery brioche served with house-made thick-cut potato chips; crab cakes with the the perfect amount of crunchy breading (very creamy, excellently seasoned) and seared sushi-grade tuna. The tuna was not something I EVER order, but, upon the advice of bartender-par-excellence, Erin, I took a shot. It was amazing! By the way, Erin, whose excellent Gimlets(made with fresh lime and simple syrup) I enjoyed, is far more than a bartender...she is instating fantastic special events at the Inn. Look for "outdoor movie night" this September. If only we didn't live 5 hours away!
The atmosphere at Epoch is warm and sophisticated. Located very close to Philips Exeter, I am sure that Epoch meets the standards and beyond for discerning visiting parents and academic dignitaries.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We recently went to the Epoch for dinner while visiting family in Exeter. It is in a great spot and within walking distance to downtown. We started with the clam chowder and immediately knew this place was a winner. Loved it! This was just the start. I moved on to the bronzed sea scallops for my main entrée and they were fantastic.Extremely fresh, full of flavor and cooked to perfection. My fiancé had the sirloin steak and she said it was one of the best she has ever had. Our servers were great and provided us with great recommendations.
We loved the food and cannot wait to go back on our next trip to Exeter!

1  Thank zeke2008