“Not as great as they make it seem...”

Exeter Elms Family Campground
Fall River, Massachusetts
“Not as great as they make it seem...”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked this campground based on their boasting of "great fishing in a river". Yeah, more like fishing in a murky pond. The water was murky and swampy, and did not seem like a river. It was a bust,and it pretty much ruined our time. We paid more for a "water view" and we were told you can fish from your chair. Sure, you can fish, but don't count on catching anything but frogs and mosquito bites. Don't even bother paying the extra for the fishing, not worth it! They have a basketball court, which you have to trek through about a 20 foot mud puddle to get to, and then realize that they have a picnic table in the middle of the court. The worst part was the Trains you hear all night long, along with the highway construction. That took the cake! I really wish we had went elsewhere, this was a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! There are way too many camping places in NH to waste time here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Malibu, California
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Nice place, quiet, clean, lots of wooden areas. But.....near a small river with almost no current and on the other side, a swamp. In the daytime not so bad. But after the sun goes down you got to get inside. Unbaerable !!We had bought wood ( $ 6.oo for 5 logs ) And didn't used them for a week. Brought them back home.
Beside that, the showers works like parking meters...25 cents for 2 minutes !!1
The toilet paper roll doesn't roll. They put a kind of rod inside so the roll has to be worked by hand and you have to be patient.

As I write this, we have been here for 3 days and I've got around 30 insect bites on each of my ankles !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thecheap
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2012

To all you fellow campers out there, whether your camping for a weekend or a week or more, Exeter elms has been my home away from home for 26 years. I have brought up my five children in this camp ground and now my grand children. I was never one for camping but my husband begged me to give it a try, so we purchased a pop up trailer and went threw many flyers because if i didn't like camping I could leave and be home within an hour. Exeter Elms was the third place i called because with five kids I didn't want to be nickeled and dimed by my kids every five minutes. We planned a week trip, loved it!!!!!! my kids had a blast they had plenty to do and the seasonals were very friendly, as was employees, management, Over the years i have met and treasured so many friends who have come and gone. Please don't listen to a few bad revues judge it for yourself you will love it. The owners are great and friendly people, who do their best to keep weekly, weekend and seasonal people happy. It works I have been here for 26 years and have enjoyed it so much. Try it out for yourself you will love it. Kathie Burke

Room Tip: If you want quite and very private the ash section is good for you. If you like being with people an...
6 Thank kathleenb B
Maine
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at Exeter Elms Campground for two nights and wished we could have stayed longer! It was the weekend after the 4th of July. There were planty of activities for the kids, face painting, pool, pig roast and italian ice. The seasonal campers were very friendly and helpful! There was also a playground there but we never used it, the pool was the biggest hit. I thought that the water was a little cold, but the kids didn’t mind at all. The basketball court looked a little beat up and was a far walk for the kids so we never used that either. We camped in a large 5th wheel camper so when we made our reservation we asked for a large site with full hook up. I also requested a semi private site since we brought our two pugs. This is the only negative part about our stay, when we arrived we were told that me had been moved to another site. We went with the flow and decided to check it out. When we got to site #1 I thought it was a joke! It’s right at the beginning of the camp ground so everyone drives past it (NO privacy at all!) and was SMALL! By small I mean and dirt drive way area for the camper, and a 5x10 piece of grass. It didn’t even look of feel like camping at all! I think I would have rather set the camper up at home and made a weekend of that! After the long ride my husband wanted to just set up so I went for a walk with the kids and dogs to check out rest of the place. By far #1 is the #1 worst campsite they offer!!! When we got back I went up to the office and explained the situation and they happily changed our site to one I saw when walking. Our new site was perfect! It was large, no one on either side of us and really felt like camping. It was also on the river, not that made a difference to us. The river looks more like a swamp and for us it just made it so no one could camp behind us. We also drove to Hampton beach and that was only about 15mins away! Overall, I would say we enjoyed our trip and would stay there again, just only this time it would be for more then two nights!!

Room Tip: NOT SITE #1, you want something away from the entrance!
5 Thank c_lynn129
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at Exeter Elms last year and had a great time. It was a family event and everyone enjoyed all the amenities. The pool was awesome, bathrooms clean and everyone seemed very friendly. We have another trip planned there for the 2012 season. We camp all over NH and this is one we like to hit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Julie J
Revere, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I am a first year seasonal (used to be an advent tenter) and have camped at most of the campgrounds in the area. I find that there is entertainment every weekend unlike most campgrounds I have visited.

The staff is great, anything I need they seem to be in a hurry to provide. I do use the showers and there is always plenty of hot water although yes they are coin operated but I have never spent more than 50 cents for a shower.

I have a small dog and do walk him regularly there are bags placed strategically around the campground so there are no excuses not to pick up after your pet. This allows me to see the entire campground and it is very well maintained.

My site is on the main road near the shower area and I have seen some rowdy campers but security is very quick to put a stop to anything loud or if people do get out of hand. Quiet time on the weekends is 11pm through 8am and I have never been woken up in the middle of the night or early in the morning.

There are plenty of activities for both children and adults and people are very sociable so my family and I can hardly wait for the weekend so we can go back.

So to Audra, Dana and their entire staff thank you for making our weekends so much fun :)

5 Thank steveiac
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This place is camping, it's wooded and pets are allowed!! Very nice pool and bathrooms are very clean!! Coin op showers but that works out well so the showers aren't always busy (you don't have someone spending an hour in the shower) It is quiet after after 10 trust me that is enforced ;) I had a great time and will be going back many times!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank rhonda p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Hampton Village Resort
#11 of 41 in Hampton
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern

Been to Exeter Elms Family Campground? Share your experiences!