“An individual experience...”

Ranked #1 of 3 Exeter B&B and Inns
Monmouth
“An individual experience...”
Reviewed November 27, 2010

There is something soul destroying about checking into a chain hotel. You're just a number and all the rooms are the same. If you stay at the Inn at the Bandstand you will certainly know that you are not just another number and the rooms are certainly different. The full blown Victorian furnishings give a wonderful feel to the tooms and in November those drapes and the cosy bed were just what was needed. We immediately felt at home.
The inn is situated right in the center of the delightful town of Exeter so it's just a short stroll to both shops and eateries. Jim was helpful in pointing us in the right direction not only as to where to eat but also to the other places we were travelling too. We thought we could mnage without sat. nav. or maps. We were so wrong.

Breakfasts challenged Jim's repetoire of dishes as neither my husband or I can tolerate eggs, but he rose to the challenge admirable. Factor in the readily available coffee and of course cookies and you're on to a winner.
This was the first time we'd stayed in a New England Inn but I can thoroughly recommend it and will be back for more.
(P.S. who expects elevators in what is basically an historic house?)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lotsofspots
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, November 29, 2010
You are my first guests ever from Wales and it was such a pleasure to have had such a lovely couple stay with me! I'm glad you enjoyed your upgraded room. I'm always pleased to upgrade business travelers midweek, when possible, and since you were traveling on both leisure and business, a complimentary upgrade was the perfect recipe for work and relaxation.

Since your departure, I have come up with a new collection of dishes that I can't wait for you to try! Don't worry... no eggs! :-)

Please come back and visit soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Ossipee, New Hampshire
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We come from the Lakes Region of NH, about 90 min drive from Exeter. We travel next door to Portsmouth and the NH Seacoast a lot, but have been in Exeter maybe only twice in 25 years. We were looking for a quaint B&B getaway for a couple of nights (I run a video business out of our home and it's nice to take a breather once in a while). We love old homes and when I was searching this one caught my eye. I had a friendly chat on the phone with Jim (the innkeeper) who explained the room choices and prices. We are so happy we made this choice. We had the room called "Somerset Cottage." It was a third floor walk up, but we can still do that. It was so cozy with the fireplace (gas logs), and a comfortable sitting area. The bed (four poster) was just right. It was a great time. We didn't spend a lot of time in town (went to see the beach in Hampton; did some Christmas shopping in Portsmouth), but bless the merchants in Exeter for all they provide from restaurants to chocolates and even a toy store. We did take the walk by the falls out toward the lower river. The view of the town was very pretty in the late afternoon light. Our thanks to Jim and his interns from the University of New Hampshire hospitality progam who made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PocketMountain
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
It was a pleasure having you two with us. From one history buff to another, we certainly had some nice chats about historic buildings in New Hampshire. I must get up to see your area soon! I'm looking forward to viewing some of your productions.

I'm glad our restaurants and merchants provided you with the great service and products my guests have come for year after year! Our quaint downtown is so close to even larger port towns in both Portsmouth NH and Newburyport, MA, each featuring unique shops and restaurants as well. The Seacoast area is such a diverse and fun place to visit. There's always something fun to do here!
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Just wanted to write a quick note about what a great time we had up here! We have two kids at home, and a baby on the way. I wanted to get my wife out for a little relaxing couple of days away before the new baby arrives, and let me tell you – this trip really hit the spot!

After reading reviews for the Inn, the atmosphere seemed perfect for our style. Comfortable, laid back, cozy and friendly. Jim and the staff really know how to make for an enjoyable stay. There when you need them, not “in your face” the whole time when you don’t. The reviews were all true!

We took a nice stroll around the downtown and waterway, stopped in the Chocolate shop, the wine and cheese shop adjacent to the Inn, grabbed a snack and a latte at the local coffee shop, - all of the old New England charm you could ask for!

When we returned to the Inn, we were greeted with a plate of “right out of the oven” chocolate chip cookies. What a treat! Jim gave a nice recommendation for dinner at the Tavern too.

Just a short drive to Kittery for some shopping and lunch at Roberts, (thumbs up!), before we headed home, and what a great finish to the perfect getaway!

We wouldn’t hesitate for a second to recommend the Inn by the Bandstand to anyone. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimboandana
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
I'm so glad you enjoyed your time with us. It was great meeting you guys and I already look forward to your next visit with us... maybe with the baby???

Your visit here inspired us to create a babymoon package sooner rather than later. We have just put the finishing touches on the package and will be rolling out in the next day or so. Good luck with the birth of your little one. Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Jim
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 21, 2010

You can't beat the town of Exeter if you are looking for the quintessential New England town. You are able to walk everywhere in town from this Inn. Overall, I would give the Inn a "B" and in some respects this is generous. Large rooms, robes, and fireplaces, which we needed to use in October. Coffee and tea all day long and there is water and sherry available in the rooms. Also, cookies in the afternoon. Breakfast was "good", but on one morning we had "canned" biscuits, which I though was a "no,no" with a place on the select register. We had an egg quiche two days in a row and then a wonderful apple stuffed french toast. The bathroom area in our room was small with the sink being out in the bedroom area. However, the seating area in the room was ample. It was cool in the evening and cold in the bathroom in the morning. Soap pumps are used in the bathrooms and they are very difficult to use in the shower. The decor is dated, and there is no real comfortable common area. However, the bed was very comfortable, we just needed to use the step to get into it. TV's small, but they are there. No hangers in closet. The management seemed "tired" and you had to go looking for them. Not too chatty and if you like that, that is great. They do not stay on sight. Parking is ample and they do make good recommendations for restaurants. Be prepared to walk stairs and I would not recommend the bathroom tubs for elderly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, October 23, 2010
It’s always helpful for innkeepers to get constructive and useful feedback. For me, my most important mission is to make our guests as comfortable as possible. Obviously, this writer had less than a great experience in our wonderful historic inn and I’d like to address some of her comments.

First and foremost, I do live in the Inn and not off-site! I’m not quite sure why the writer came to that conclusion, but it is completely wrong and I make great effort to be accessible. I close the office and retire for the evening at 8:30 every night. Some Saturday nights I’ll go out to dinner, but for the most part I’m always here and accessible. Signs are posted on the office door with my phone number and also a button to push to signal me for after-hours assistance.

On the particular weekend this writer stayed here, we did have two egg dishes, however, they weren’t the same meals, as implied. We offered an egg and sausage casserole the first day, then a quiche the next day, and finally an apple French toast dish on their final day. With regards to cold bathrooms, there are individual heaters in each and every bathroom. Had the writer asked, I would have gladly shown her the location of the bathroom thermostat. We do use pump bottles in our baths as part of our effort in being ecologically correct rather than using the throw away bottles which clog our landfills. We made this change two years ago and it has been a welcomed move by our guests. This is the first complaint I’ve had about them.

When these particular guests arrived there were no hangers in their closet. The previous guest must have walked off with them. It was an oversight that we didn’t catch but we promptly replaced them as soon as it was brought to our attention.

Lastly, with regards to me seeming tired, I’m perplexed. I did have a painful tooth extraction a few days before, and maybe that made me appear to be tired, but I thought I was fine with the guests. Innkeepers walk a fine line with being “chatty” but also at the same time giving people their space. I opt for giving folks their space and not "hover". When approached I'm always glad to sit and chat.
Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My fiance and I decided to spend a weekend here to celebrate our engagement and we could not have chosen a better place to stay. The Inn is located smack in the center of scenic Exeter with comfortable, "feels-like-home" style accommodations. Upon arriving, we were greeted warmly by the Inn's owner along with his adorable little dog, Gizmo. The Inn itself is very clean and kept up well. Apple- cinnamon scented candles are lit, adding a hint of fall to the air, a cozy library with fireplace to sit and read by and warm chocolate chip cookies with hot coffee served late afternoon. We stayed in the "Devonshire Room." The bed was very comfortable, the towels were soft and fluffy and the silk robes and glass carafe of port by the bedside were the perfect touch! There was also a mini fridge in our room where we were able to keep chilled the wine and cheese we purchased from the specialty shop next door to the Inn. The Inn keeper gave us great advice for places to dine. If you go to 11 Water Street, you get 20% off your meal when you show your room key! If your looking for a late night snack, I suggest hitting up the chocolatier across the street from the Inn and picking up some sweets for later.
The Inn also has bikes available to rent, as well as a wonderful courtyard to sit and sip some afternoon tea.
When we left, we went to purchase a mug as a keep sake and the Inn Keeper said it was "On the house, as a gift for your engagement." It felt so good to know that he remembered why we had come for a visit to Exeter and the Inn.
My fiance and I will most certainly be returning to The Inn by the Bandstand!

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
All the best to you! You are a cute couple and I wish you a lifetime of happiness together!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 29, 2010

This was an excellent place to stay for a family vacation. The house is beautiful and has a lot of old world charm as well as being very clean. The beds were soft an comfortable and a beautiful full breakfast was served every day saving us the time and hassle of finding a place that served breakfast or eating fast food. The location is awesome, many restaurants are just a short drive and the beaches were close. Our hosts were very helpful in planning our vacation destinations and our daughter loved the fact that the band still plays at the bandstand in front of the Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
We are glad you and your family had such a nice time with us. Please come back to see us soon! Exeter is a great base for family vacations.
Burnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2010

The inn is ideally located in the centre of this lovely historical town. Parking is very convenient behind the inn. The Lodge Room in which we stayed is true to theme, well furnished and very comfortable. The bathroom, although small, caters for all needs. We were made to feel very welcome by all of the staff who took the time to make suggestions on places to visit and local restaurants. We were, however, disappointed by our room not being serviced on one of the three days that we stayed. The accommodation is on three levels with no elevator available, so transferring luggage to the top floor is hard work.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
We're sorry for missing your room. After talking with staff, seems like on first attempt you were in the room and asked that we return later. Our housekeeping staff stays until about 2:00. Obviously, it wasn't passed on to me that your room did not get service, something I have since mentioned and correct with my staff. I wish I would have know that day, I would have immediately corrected the oversight myself!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hampton Village Resort
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Inn by the Bandstand? Share your experiences!