“Inn by the BandStand is great”

Inn by the Bandstand
Ranked #1 of 3 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Booked a romantic getaway for anniversary and visiting the area. As UNH alumni, the location was close (20 min) for a visit. Also in reasonable proximity to drive (20min) to the outlets in Kittery. The rooms are beautiful- well appointed with excellent attention to detail and nice bedding. Each is very unique- so don't get too concerned if the exact room you think you want is not available. We stayed in the LakeHeath Lodge room on the third floor. It was so cozy, nice sitting area in front of fireplace...felt like your private lodge. There is street level noise from traffic, so if this bothers you, you might want to consider this. The common areas in the inn are nice. Full breakfast is served which was modified a bit as we were there during the ice storm which impacted power in the whole region for a period of time. Extra attention we noted included- details in rooms, plush robes, attention to decorating in common areas, 24 hour beverage center with coffees/water etc on first floor. The town provides many nice shops, galleries and eateries. Excellent cholatier just across the street. We have told friends and will be back....p.s. Name will be changing soon.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 7, 2009

On December 12, 2008 my wife and I woke up to a house with no heat, lights, or water. Early on the morning of December 13 I started looking for someplace to stay. After spending most of my cell phone’s battery power on looking for a motel that was open and had power my wife handed me her “best inns I want to try” list. Lucky for us, the “Inn by the Bandstand” was the first inn I reached.

Jim took our reservation and assured me that he had power. He’d gotten it back a few hours before I called. He said he had one room available with two single beds and breakfast was included, my wife said “Take it, we are out of here”. Jim said he could provide us with a room for several days as long as we were willing to move from room to room as the inn was well booked for the coming week. Again, my wife said “Take it, we’re out of here”.

Bottom line, I am glad I have learned to take Sally’s advice. After spending one night and having one breakfast at the Inn by the Bandstand we decided to “make this an early summer vacation”.

Jim and Vicky, the owners, managed to limit our seven day stay to three rooms. (Only one night was spent in the original, two single beds, room.) That first room was well appointed, spotless, and very comfortable. The next room was fantastic. It had a gas fireplace with a good sized seating area in front of it. Those chairs were great for reading. The whirlpool tub was also great. The third room was a well appointed with a queen sized bed. All of these rooms had beds with excellent mattresses and bedding. All were full of period antiques. All were extremely clean. Moving between the rooms was easy. When we got back to the inn after visiting our ice-bound home we were given a different room key and guided to the new room. Our stuff had been moved. All we had to do was check out our new surroundings.

The staff, Jeff and Rahia, was friendly and knowledgeable. We received excellent restaurant advice and town directions from them. Both went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Jim and Vicky, the owners, have created a great bed and breakfast inn. The rooms are top drawer. Snacks are available on a 24-hour basis. Cookies are baked and put out every afternoon. Fresh coffee, tea, hot chocolate, chai, and herbal teas are available on a self-serve basis around the clock. The common rooms have gas fireplaces and our very comfortable.

Don’t miss breakfast. You eat in front of a gas fireplace. The coffee is good and continual. Breakfast is served as you sit. If you have dietary issues they take care of it. We wouldn’t have had a repeat across our seven-day stay if we hadn’t asked for a second chance at one of their breakfasts.

The inn’s location is superb. In less than five minutes you can walk to several excellent restaurants, Exeter’s post office, the town’s library and the river front.

We took the room because it was available. When we left we felt like we had been on vacation.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob-Derry-NH
Reviewed October 14, 2008

This is our second trip to new england over the last 2 years. we have stayed in over 10 different Inns. we have stayed at this Inn during both trips. Thi is by far the best Inn we have stayed in. The rooms are absolutley stunning, filled with wonderful antiques and extremely clean. Jim, the Inn keeper is fantastic, very friendly and gives lots of tips on where to eat and visit. It is situated in the middle of exeter, overlooking a victorian looking bandstand, close to numerous restaurants and small boutique shops. If you are going to New England for a break, you must stay in this Inn, you will not be disappointed. We plan to go again next year! Julie and Steve, Shropshire, England

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wollar
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We could not have asked for more. Attractive decor, with many amenities, nice staff, amazing historic property which almost was lost to development, located in the gorgeous historic setting of old Exeter. - and just a short walk to the famed academy of the same name. We highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank jimjade3
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We just spent the weekend at the Inn by the Bandstand in Exeter, NH. This is a wonderful, well located property. The owners and the inn keeper are warm, welcoming and full of useful information. We stayed in the Windsor Room which had a comfortable king sized bed and a soothing spa tub. The other rooms we were shown looked charming and comfortable.

Everything at the inn is gracious and generous. Coffee, tea, cookies, fruit and soda are always available. Each room has a bottle of sherry.

The inn is located in the heart of Exeter. A number of nice restaurants were within walking distance, as were a number of art shops. There is a nice walk along the river. You are a short drive from the shore and Portsmouth, NH. The drive from Boston is only an hour.

GO!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank j1095
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We booked this hotel at the last minute, based in part on reviews. Normally we avoid places decorated with antiques, but our room here was very comfortable and clean, if a little cluttered. The bed was fantastic, although so far off the ground it was quite an effort to get into it! There are facilities to make your own tea and coffee downstairs, with home made cookies (home made cookies are always good). There are a limited number of parking spaces at the back, and Exeter itself is a very pretty town.

Breakfast was excellent: cooked to order with a fantastic fruit bowl, and service was professional and friendly by all.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PotterMoose
Reviewed January 24, 2008

This was the second time I brought my son to Exeter. I wanted to stay in a different hotel. I found the Inn by the Bandstand through the internet. I was fascinated by the photos of the room decor.It was the attraction of the cozy rooms and its prime location, I chose it. When I arrived, I was welcomed by the owner with the kindest hospitality. He offered me a lot of assistance in settling down. The room we reserved was conveniently located on ground floor which was just the best location when I was carrying luggages not proportional to my weight. The Inn provided compliemntary drinks of all kinds for the cold winter day- freshly brewed gourmet coffee, all types of exotic tea and the most delicious hot chocolate. Not to mention, it is located in the hallway right outside our room( I never meet another guest though). The Inn was operated by a lovely couple, Jim and Victoria. You have to believe me that they sure run the place with their hearts. The place was infused with old New England atmosphere and time seemed still. Oh, you should not miss the breakfast. It was not just beautifully presented but very delicious,particularly Victoria's pancake. The Inn by the Bandstand is definitely my hotel when I visit Exerter in furture.

Mother and son from Hong Kong

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank H0ngK0ngM0m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Exeter Inn
Exeter Inn
#3 of 3 in Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook

Been to Inn by the Bandstand? Share your experiences!