“Best Inn in the area”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
Bedford, New Hampshire
“Best Inn in the area”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

This place has been completed gutted and renovated in the past year so remember that when reading the older reviews. The restaurant in so good we drive 35 min for the food on special occassions. Please don't hesitate to stay here! You will not be disappointed. It is gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I have been meaning to write a review better now then never. This is a great hotel to stay at. We were pleasently surprised. The staff is great and helpful. They even leave you fresh chocolate chip cookies by your bed that they turn down at night. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is beautiful and modern.

The restaurant is also great and the service was fantastic. We had a great server.

I would definetly stay here again.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and a beautiful renovated room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I've been staying at the Exeter Inn off and on for around three years now. While it is an historic building, it's main draw has been its proximity to Exeter and Phillips Exeter Academy. There aren't really any other hotels near the city. While the staff has always been nice, on my last visit they were mid-renovation and I was still in a tired, but clean room.

When I checked in yesterday I had to wonder if I was in the same hotel. The reception area still has the feel of an inn but everything was new. New front desk, new bar, new restaurant; same nice people. Our room (and all of the rooms I'm told) was completely redone. I mean everything, carpet, wallpaper, beds, linens, furniture, flat panel TV, bathroom, shower, fixtures, curtains. The room is now warm and inviting; the bath is white tile and huge walk-shower. Very nice, particularly being familiar with what it used to look like.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was also completely new. Everything. The food and service were fantastic as well.

On my previous visits I felt like the Inn was overpriced and you paid for the location. If you wanted a modern room or good value you went somewhere else and put up with the drive. It seems the prices have increased some since the renovation, but I no longer feel that I'm paying too much. The Exeter Inn is now a first rate hotel that I'll gladly stay in again.

• Liked — Totally renovated
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Beverly, MA
Reviewed August 12, 2008

What a wonderful experience. Room was small but the inn was clean and comfortable. And the food was fabulous! I mean, really fabulous!!!! Will definitely return.....maybe just for the food!!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Just stayed at Exeter Inn for one night and was VERY disappointed. Although I made reservations a month ago directly with the hotel, I was not told that 1/2 of the facility was under massive renovations. The front foyer and hallway were torn apart and half of the guest rooms, the main dining room and bar were unavailable to guests as they were under construction.

Our room was small, the draperies were coming off the curtain rod, the bedspread was worn to the point that it had large holes in it and we had to call engineering to get any heat in the room.

Although the engineer was very helpful and did what he could, the rest of the staff was indiferent and unfriendly.

I am sure that the staff's attitude was due to the state of the facility as my wife had stayed at the Inn in te past and had a positive experience.

Price was ok (on par with a Days Inn or 2star city hotel) as long as you realize that you get what you pay for (e.g. plastic cups, poor lighting, hard mattress).

My recommendation is to ask the hotel if the renovations are still underway prior to booking. They will not volunteer this information. If so, ask for a discount or look for other accomodations.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler9028
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2007

After changing our minds a hundred times, we decided to stay in Exeter at the very last minute. Although the Inn looked out of our price range, it was less expensive than cheap motels and hotels (Days Inn's, Econolodges etc) in nearby Portsmouth so we figured what did we have to lose? We were surprised to find the Inn even available due to the holiday weekend. The hotel is in a beautiful building that was only bult in the 1930's. It appears much older with character plus. It is also the most quiet hotel I have ever stayed in. No noise from any surrounding rooms. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The restaurant was good, although had a slightly limited menu but still had plenty to choose from. We were planning on going back to the restaurant the second night but sadly they were closed on Sundays. The hotel does have WiFi internet service although due to a new laptop and the issues that go with it, I was unable to use it (this is my problem and not the hotels). We had a room with one queen bed. Although small, it was comfortable. The hotel is going to be undergoing a renovation soon and I hope they keep the charm and character of the place with just some small adjustments that could be used (such as slightly more comfortable beds and bedding, updated bathrooms - although both are fine as they are).
I would stay here again in a second.

• Liked — Character and Charm
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed at the Exeter Inn last winter. The room was cold, and I found it very hard to regulate the temperature - one minute freezing, the next like a sauna. Although it advertises itself as a "conference center," there was no high-speed internet connection, only dial up, which was a major problem for me. The towels were small and sort of shabby. But the Sunday brunch was terrific. And the price was more than reasonable.

• Liked — The Sunday brunch and proximity to Phillips Exeter Academy
  • Disliked — No high speed internet
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank jjford
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
#4 of 41 in Hampton
Hampton Village Resort
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Exeter Inn? Share your experiences!