“Comfortable inn with old world charm”
Review of Exeter Inn

Exeter Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed October 10, 2012

In the last year I have stayed at the Exeter Inn four times for a total of 13 nights. I am going back this month for another 4 night stay. It is a charming, fabulous inn!

I have stayed in rooms ranging from the small junior queen room to a suite. All are clean and have modern, brightly lit bathrooms with a good selection of amenities. Epoch Restaurant offers a fine menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner in a comfortable, exposed brick setting.

I have read several negative on-line reviews, but I strongly disagree with them. Do not expect a big box hotel. This is an inn. It was built in 1932 and retains its old world charm.

The front desk employees have always been polite and accommodating. Once I was checking out at 4 am to catch a flight at Logan and the front desk employee handed me my printed receipt and a hot cup of coffee on my way out the door. I will continue to be a frequent guest at the Exeter Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pattynap
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Hello Patty,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. I appreciate your repeat business and I am very happy to hear that you enjoy our accommodations. Please feel free to ask for me during your next visit as I would be delighted to meet you and would also like to treat you to a complimentary beverage in our lounge if you would like.

Thank you.

James Hocking

There are newer reviews for Exeter Inn

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We just returned from a New England road trip and our very first stop was this charming inn. We were there for two nights and found it charming and perfectly satisfactory. A real plus was the on site restaurant, Epoch. I will review that separately, however. We had none of the problems discussed in the other reviews. We were on the third floor, but the elevator worked perfectly. We loved our bathroom, very modern, but with a round window that we adored. My husband and I travel frequently, choose our lodgings carefully - we were not disappointed with the Exeter Inn.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jj4848
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with the online community. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I invite you to join our mailing list so if you ever visit the area again you can take advantage of our seasonal promotions. I'm looking forward to reading your Epoch review. Thank you again.
J. Hocking

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have stayed at the Exeter Inn many, many times over the last several decades. The location is prime if you want to be near the Philips Exeter Academy (a very short walk). If the location is very important to you, then stay here; however, the rooms once again need a good freshening up/ bathroom do over. The rooms have New England character, with comfortable bedding, but are tight and the carpet is starting to get pretty worn. The rooms have character, but the closets look very dark and dingy, with cobwebs and gaps where the various pipes inside meet the walls. Some caulk,new paint, a light bulb would greatly improve it. There were clean, thick robes and disposable slippers, plus fresh cookies every evening, which made the room much more inviting, though.

The shades were not room darkening, so we had a fairly bright glow from the streetlamps below in our room. I would not recommend a room facing the street, if you are a light sleeper or need darkness.

The tile threshold for the shower was cracked in several places, with jagged tile edges facing up, so we had to step very carefully over it to avoid lacerating our feet. The wooden pedestal for the sink has peeling/ dinged edges and feet. The tile trim at the edges of the bathroom floor no longer sit flush with the wall and have large gaps. There were numerous tiny ants/bugs on the windowsills, where the windows have gaps. A freshening up would make the bathroom much safer, not to mention more worth the $200 a night we were paying.

The toiletries were good quality, but were were small and not replenished daily, so I ran out of shampoo the second day mid shower. There were qtips and cotton balls provided, however, and the towels were clean and thick and fluffy.

The restaurant is good, but slow for breakfast. I would eat there when not in a hurry. Also, the front desk staff is very polite and friendly and helpful, but often are elsewhere, because the single person takes care of any other issues in the hotel. I would allow for plenty of time when checking out for that reason.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the second floor not facing the busy street. Third floor rooms are attic roo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to post your feedback regarding the Exeter Inn. The location is indeed ideal to those traveling to PEA and we have a variety of scenic jogging and walking trails mapped out which take you through the campus and residential areas. The Exeter area is full of fantastic parks and architecture.

Also, please know that we do take both the positive and constructive comments seriously and our maintenance team has been working diligently this season with a maintenance program designed to address the areas as you had mentioned in your review.

Thank you for visiting our Inn. We hope to see you again soon.

J. Hocking

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here for one night during a cycling trip.Apart from having to lug my suitcase up the stairs due to the elevator being out, I found everything to my satisfaction.The room was clean and comfortable,with a nice bathroom.In particular, I found all the staff at the hotel friendly and keen to be of assistance.There was no pool or hot tub, but the food in the restaurant was excellent, even though the service was a little slow.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the main road, although there is not a lot of traffic noise at night...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DerekHulme
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I used Priceline, as I always do.. and when I saw I was upgraded to 3 stars I thought this would be nice. I usually look for 2 and 1/2 stars and do great with Priceline, but not this time. First, I am a senior woman and there are lots of stairs you have to pull your suitcase up to get to the front lobby, then the receptionist started to help me, but when the phone rang, that customer became more important and it took a long time for her to come back to me. The room was very tiny with no furniture except for a bed and end tables, no desk, no chair to sit in. The ceiling had paint falling off and there was lots of mold in the bathroom on the peeling ceiling. Chipped wood door cases and floor boards, carpet was not clean and the view outside was of the roof over the restaurant and the large rusty ventilation system. I did complain, but was told that they save certain rooms for Priceline customers and there was nothing else available, not even an apology and I felt I was treated with an attitude of...what do you expect when you get a discount...and at almost $100, it was not much of a discount to only sleep there. I did have breakfast the next morning and it was very good and the restaurant manager was friendly and even helped me with my bags when he saw me struggling to get them down stairs. I will NEVER stay there again and I visit Exeter often. The hotel also smells like a smokey, moldy, old building.

Room Tip: Don't stay there..the newer hotels are clean, have pools, breakfast included, are friendly and d...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nanbrad
Reviewed August 31, 2012

First off, we received our room through Priceline.com and the staff seemed to snub there noses at us because of using Priceline. They charged us an extra $20.00 to request 2 double beds when other Priceline hotels DO NOT. We were informed through other staff there were plenty of rooms available since it was midweek so the extra money for 2 double beds was unjustly. Secondly, there is a STENCH in this hotel, especially on the third floor. I thought maybe 'mold" since it is an old building but my daughter said it stunk more like "canned cat food" but whatever it was...it was one hell of a STENCH. We felt punished for paying by Priceline so they stuck us on the 3rd floor in an attic room. The shower had a slanted roof and even myself at 5'3" had to duck to get under the water faucet that, by the way, had absolutely NO WATER PRESSURE! I felt very clautrophobic in the shower. Carpets were filthy too in our attic room. OVERALL, I felt they didn't like the idea of us getting a better deal through Priceline and punished us because of it. I will not stay here again and will certainly not recommend this hotel to ANYONE! Priceline people...beware...especially of the STENCH!

Room Tip: Avoid 3rd floor because of the STENCH. They seem to hate and punish people that have ordered throug...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Won't come here again for sure!!!! The room was really tiny for 2 persons. Wardrobe very old small ... The fan in the bathroom was not working and I'm pretty sure it was like this since a long time because the roof was stain and peeling. On the top ....the A/C was not working!!!! no fan in the bathroom, no A/C and no screen in the window .... guest was happen! To give you an idea I looked for another hotel to ask for a cash back ... but at 10 pm everything around was sold out. (On the other hand the restaurant Epoch is really good ... but it's the only thing). Conclusion, don't think it's a charming hotel with it's old style .... it's simply an old hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mary791
James H, General Manager at Exeter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your input. Having just recently arrived as the GM of the Exeter Inn your comments prompted me to look into our Priceline offer. What I have discovered is that when available in order to offer the highest value to our Priceline guests we included a room category which contains a handful of smaller rooms. As this is an historic hotel, built in 1930, and like all historic properties we have our share of unique, undersized by today’s standards, rooms, though that is part of the charm. We don’t have many of these rooms but what we have were available for you to book. This room category only has space enough for 1 bed. Therefore, after reviewing your comments with the front office manager and to avoid future confusion we have decided to remove this category of room. I appreciate your insight and hopefully these changes will help us to showcase our ugraded rooms when available. Thank you very much and I do apologize for the issues you experienced.

James Hocking

Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#6 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Exeter Inn? Share your experiences!