“Wonderful all around property”
Review of Exeter Inn

Exeter Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed November 12, 2011

First time at the inn in exter.Was in the area for business and it was wonderful desk staff great ,ate in The restaurant good value and wonderful food. Rooms were tidy and clean. All around a great little property. When business brings me back I will be staying at the inn in exter.

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed November 5, 2011

The hotel is great. We got a perfect, quirky, beautiful room with a big, sunny bathroom and gorgeous fixtures, gable windows, a beautiful big bed with classic smooth hotel linen and fluffy duvet, and adorable turn-down service with chocolate chip cookies. Lorraine, our staff person was super sweet and gave us extra cookies! The staff are friendly and low-key - not overly flattering, just nice - and great value. We are here off-peak and the value is exceptional for the room. However, "Epoch", the bar/restaurant was really sub-par. First, the bar's decor is weirdly out of keeping with the hotel. It has red leather chairs and an illuminated red stair that is right out of Saturday Night Fever. And the restaurant is lame. We ordered omelettes which arrived semi-warm and without any sort of toast or homefries - just sort of naked on the plate. For $9! And when I inquired about the oatmeal, I was told it was just "Quaker." The waitress could not say whether the bread was whole wheat or white, or local or out of a bag. I was expecting an "Inn" sort of restaurant where at least some of the goods are made on the premises, but this is not the case. And it took an "epoch" for us to get milk for our coffee!

But yes, definitely stay at the hotel. Just eat in...well, eat in Portsmouth. Exeter is not a great town for foodies.

Room Tip: Just don't eat at Epoch and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I loved this hotel. I had a little glitch in my room, but the hotel immediately rectified the situation. The rooms were beautiful. There isn't a huge nightlife around the hotel, but that is more to do with the area school. The staff was super helpful and super friendly. I would recommend this hotel if you just need a night's stay traveling through or if you want to get away for a weekend.

Room Tip: I booked last minute through the hotel's website and actually saved a ton.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
togorman, Director of Sales at Exeter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Dear BMclark2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent stay with us. I am delighted that your stays with was lovely. We strive to make sure our staff goes out of their way to assist you while traveling away from town.
The Inn is a perfect spot while traveling on business or like you had mentioned for a romantic weekend getaway.
We look forward to your next stay with us and if there is anything we can do in advance please don't hesitate to call.

Thanks
Director of Sales

Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I decided to get away for a short weekend trip. We spent the day shopping in Kittery, ME and Portsmouth, NH and stayed at the Exeter Inn. The Inn is only 20 minutes from Portsmouth. Perfect location! Unfortunately we got in late and we missed all the cute shops in town. (We will go back to check them out). The Inn used to be part of the Academy in town. It is a very old building. We were checked in quickly and wished a good night. We booked a queen suite. So glad! We loved it. We had a small living room with a couch, two chairs a large ottoman and a flat screen tv. Off of this room is a half bath. There are french doors that enter into the bedroom. There is a very comfortable Queen bed, a desk, another flat screen tv and a closet. There is a full bath connected to the bathroom. It is very contemporary and we loved it!! Completely white from top to bottom. There is only half a piece of glass in the shower that does not move. Very chic! And a bowl sink. The room was spotless. I had ordered chocolate covered strawberries online and they were waiting for us in our room. We ate everyone and recommend them as a special treat for anyone staying there. In the suite there was turndown service and we got oatmeal cookies. Yummy!! We went to dinner at the bar downstairs. The food was so good and the bartender made sure our glasses were always full! There was a wedding there but it was over at 10 and we were never disturbed by anyone from the wedding staying there. We checked out very easily. There were no complaints. Highly recommend

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anangel32003
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is so convenient to Phillips that I have stayed a few times. It is expensive, but they have a captive audience. Breakfast took forever and we finally had to leave to make it to the meetings. The front desk staff is very polite. I resent that during big campus weekends, they make you reserve 2 or 3 days.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
togorman, Director of Sales at Exeter Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We appreciate and value your feedback especially in areas where we may have fallen short during your stay. We want you to know that we take issues constructively and seriously.

We are glad you found our location convenient for your needs and that our staff was helpful and polite during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back many times over the upcoming years. Sometimes during these very busy weekends guests are on the same time line for breakfast and meetings to the campus.

I can see we have some more detailed training to do with our breakfast team members. Most l colleges and prep schools have minimum stays for big weekends to ensure parents and guests can enjoy the whole weekend and attend all the scheduled events.

I will review your comments with our food and beverage manager to make corrective steps to improve our timing on busy weekends.

Again, thank you for your comments they have been helpful. We forward to welcoming you back to the Inn in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Just got back yesterday from the Exeter Inn. Pro's: Very nice location, friendly and helpful staff, awesome bed and bedding, nice robe and slippers waiting in the closet, ample parking, cookies delivered to your room at night for no charge and just and overall feeling of relaxation. Con's: Room was quite small, next time I will upgrade, no dresser in room at all, just closet, water in the shower was scalding hot even when all the way on cold. I did let them know about the HOT water and they said they would fix it. We were only there 2 nites so I didn't expect it to be fixed, hopefully they will though. They do have a restaurant on premises but we went to another place that we just love so I can't tell you about the restaurant quality but it looked very nice, pricey though. I would certainly go back again!

Room Tip: Call hotel directly to get good price. You might want to upgrade to get a larger room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

We appreciate and value your feedback and are glad you had a relaxing and enjoyable experience with us. We try to add a few extra touches to our guest rooms and to our service. We pride ourselves in being the best hotel in the seacoast area.

Extra care was taken in designing the hotel, to be special, have the top of the line bedding and linens to make your time away from home special and comfortable. Our turndown service at night, with bathrobe, slippers and fresh baked cookies is what we like to call our surprise and delight program. A little something extra besides the standard hotel room and experience.

We do have several room types to choose from and our starting room a Jr Queen is great for a one night stay but I would suggest as you eluded too. One of our larger rooms either a Classic Queen or Classic King for your next stay with us. For those special occasions we also have 5 suites to choose from.

We have corrected the issue with the shower and would highly recommend our restaurant Epoch restaurant and bar on your next visit. I know you will find it very special and enjoy the atmosphere food and service that we have created.

Thank you for your review and please ask for me the next time you are in so I can meet you in person. We look forward to welcoming you back many times.

Tom O’Gorman
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I spent a Saturday night at the Exeter Inn at the end of July. I went with my my sister, her five month old, and my mother. We had planned a weekend trip to the Portsmouth area and wanted to stay in a charming New England style Inn. The hotel did not disappoint.

We had requested a room with two double beds that was large enough for a pack and play, and we were pleasantly surprised to find our request filled. The staff was very accommodating and we were given a very large room with a nice renovated bathroom. The room was clean and the service was great. I do have to warn you though, the showers are very tiny. Luckily, my family is very short so we did not have a problem, but I would say if you were over 5'4" you might have to duck in order to be under the shower head! Also, not sure exactly how this works but there "Shower" rooms in the hallways....this may be because the smaller rooms do not have their own showers...it is after all an old renovated inn. Just ask to make sure your room has all you need in it.

We got back to the hotel after 10pm and the parking was limited but there was still room. The bar looked and nice and had a decent amount of people in it. There is also a very cute patio in the garden where you can sit and enjoy your meal/drinks. The town of Exeter itself is very quaint and cute with easy access to the main roads to get to either the beaches or Portsmouth with no hassle. Overall a great experience and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: *ask for a large room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Ashworth by the Sea
Ashworth by the Sea
#5 of 41 in Hampton
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Been to Exeter Inn? Share your experiences!