“Not what I expected”

The Holy Grail
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Epping
Cuisines: American, Irish, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Converted Catholic Church into NH's Best Irish Pub in the State! Original stain-glass windows, light fixtures and large harp shaped bar. Great family restaurant, something for everyone! Enjoy one of our 26 beers on draft or our specialty drinks. Amazing outdoor seating that takes you on a trip back to the old country. Our function hall holds up to 100 guests for the perfect celebration! Visit us once, and you'll be back again & again! Slainte'
US
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My meal was not very good at all...I got the simple chicken tenders. Others in our party were not impressed with the food either. No real desire to return. the waitress spilled an entire beer on my friend, apologized, but never gave him a free drink?

Visited March 2012

Salem, New Hampshire
“ive never been colder”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had heard good things about the holy grail from friends and decided to check it out. Went on a
Saturday afternoon was fairly crowded and we had heard about the wide selection of beers. The restaurant was beyond cold and the booth was freezing, my wife kept her coat and hat on. Service was fair to bad, waited forever for an apetyzer, people who arrived after us finished their meal before we got out entree. Food was good, haddock sandwich, blue cheeseburger. Never saw the waitress
after we were served.

nottingham
“not such a great place afterall”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

we have been to the holy grail 5 times in the past 8 years. Trip # 1 was incredibly great. We were seated in the balcony overlooking the church with a clear view of the TV and the bar below. My server offered to have the cook sear my prime rib. She was pleasant and accomidating. my prime rib was cooked to perfection. I couldn't wait to return there. Trip # 2, 1.5 hour wait...decided to go to Applebee's. Trip # 3, no prime rib. I decided to get the ne boiled dinner. The was some meat piled in the middle of a 2" bed of potatoes and cabbage. very good but I didn't bother with the doggy bag to bring home all the cabbage. Trip # 4 1 hr wait, went to Applebees again. Trip #5, 5 min wait. We were seated in the back room with little view. I asked to have my prime rib seared. She said they didn't do that. My daughter's medium rare prime rib was cool and red in the center so we sent it back. we had to ask for bread this time around. My prime rib came out browned on the outside but not seared. It was cooked medium rare the way I had ordered it. My daughter's rib came back still undercooked....she ate it anyway. We did get a doggy bag for our leftovers.My daughter's plate was still half full of fat after she took out the edible piece. I told the server and she stated that it was the nature of the prime rib dinner. Maybe in my daughter's $22 piece but not in my $27 piece. I can't rave about this place anymore.

2 Thank mark h
Brentwood, New Hampshire
“Too Loud to have a Conversation”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We are local and have been to the Grail frequently. However, my family has stopped going to the Grail because the accoustics are horrible. The music is loud so people talk louder over it...making it impossible to have a conversation while dining. As others have said, the place is a beautiful restored church. The bar is huge and busy with a diverse selection of beers.

We have enjoyed the baked scallops and onion soup. We have found the veggies, especially the potatoes to be undercooked. The hostesses have always been friendly and the wait people hard-working. We'll try again in spring when we can go on the outdoor patio.

I see no response from the Grail here. I DO hope they work on the accoustics and turn gown the "background" music.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mommert5
HlyGral, Owner at The Holy Grail, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi
I'm not sure if I had responded to your review already, if I have I apologize! I'm truly sorry about the level of sound in our restaurant. It was something that we knew when we were building it would be an issue. It was designed for basically one person talking at a time or Chior music in the loft. We researched different types of acoustical ceiling tiles but they would have taken away the look and feel of being in a church. And the cost was very high. Hinesight is 20/20.

We really hope that you would reconsider in returning, maybe on a less busy night or during the day. You said that you may join us outside in the Courtyard now that the weather is finally here.

I hope to see you soon,

David Kennedy
Owner
Merrimack, New Hampshire
“Best Fish & Chips!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Recently ate here and had great food, at reasonable prices, in a fun atmosphere. This restaurant is located in an old church. I had the best fish and chips ever -- crispy batter and fresh, flaky fish -- and lots of it! Others had a burger and bangers and mash, which they enjoyed. Can't wait to return!

• Visited January 2013

Been to The Holy Grail? Share your experiences!