“YOU CAN TASTE THE QUALITY DIFFERENCE” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Works Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Durham
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Works to you: humanely-raised, naturally-cured meats and poultry with no antibiotics or added hormones. Local eggs from cage-free chickens. Hormone- and antibiotic-free milk and cream cheese from Vermont family farms. Breakfast and lunch sandwiches and paninis on artisan bread, wraps or traditional boiled-and-baked bagels made with unbleached, unbromated flour. Fresh salads. Hearty, from scratch soups. Fresh-fruit smoothies. Rainforest Alliance Certified coffee. Thoughtfully sourced, local when possible. Open daily 6:30-6.
Dover, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,747 helpful votes
“YOU CAN TASTE THE QUALITY DIFFERENCE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The original The Works Bakery Cafe was founded in Manchester, Vermont in July 1988 by Richard French and some of his friends as the Bagel Works. As the menu expanded beyond bagels, the name changed to reflect the expansion. Today it’s a franchise business with 7 locations---2 in Vermont, 4 in New Hampshire, and one in Maine. The Seacoast Region of New Hampshire is fortunate to have two---one in Portsmouth and one in Durham.

I visited the Durham location at midafternoon to celebrate getting a defective bulky TV packed up, taken down two flights of stairs, and delivered to UPS for shipment off to the repair facility under warranty. It was like getting rid of an albatross around my neck. It was cause for rejoicing.

After looking over the extensive cafe menu that included eggs, yogurt, fruit cup, bagels, croissants, assorted pastries, brownies, cookies, scones, and muffins, plus sandwiches, panini, wraps, soups, and salads, I decided on a toasted Tomato-Basil Bagel at $1.19 and a medium decaf coffee at $1.89.

Service was fast and courteous.

Since everything that The Works Bakery Café serves has no antibiotics, no added hormones, no nitrates, and no nitrites, the bagel had a fresh, natural taste. The tomato-basil flavor was very good for a late lunch. Their bagels are also baked fresh several times a day.

Their coffee is excellent. It is estate-grown at Hacienda Rio Negro near the Panama border. It is the first plantation in Costa Rica too become Rainforest Alliance Certified. This Arabica coffee is grown in shade and hand-picked, then roasted in small batches. So, my coffee had that rich, full-bodied flavor; and, as is the case with high-quality coffee, it had a smooth finish with no bitter aftertaste despite being acidic. It was just the treat I needed after completing my project for the day.

The atmosphere is that of the cafeteria-style coffeehouse it is. It was quiet when I was there with 8 other patrons. The patrons ranged in age from college students and professors from UNH across the street to locals seniors.

I enjoy coffee at several excellent coffee houses in my area. After Port City Coffee Roasters, the two The Works Bakery Cafe locations are tied for second place with Breaking New Grounds in Portsmouth on my Favorite Coffee Houses List.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Maurene_K

“Good breakfast, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were up near UNH for a sporting tournament and needed a place to have an early breakfast. The Works was on our way so we stopped in. Great selection of breakfast sandwiches (my husband and son both had egg and cheese on a bagel), the bagels were very good, and the coffee quite good as well. The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome, even at 6:30 on a cold Sunday morning.

• Visited January 2014
“Works formerly Bagelry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I am dropping my child off at college and notice the Bagelry is the Works bakery cafe a little sad but willing to give it a try. The renovations were great, the food was amazing, restaurant was very clean staff was great and fast service.(I loved that it is conscious of what's in your food)all in all a wonderful restaurant. We will make another stop in.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer F, Front Office Manager at The Works Bakery Cafe, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Bethc146: Thank you so much for stopping in and giving us a try! And thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts! I do hope you will stop in again when you are visiting! ~Jennifer
Indiana
“Similar but not The Bagelry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Hadn't been here since the change from The Bagelry. We had the Dagwood, guac melt, and eggs with cheese. All was tasty and hit the spot. Can't get bagels this good in the Midwest!

1 Thank IndianaOnTheGo
Durham, New Hampshire
“Bought out by other chain; no longer Bagelry.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

THIS IS NO LONGER THE BAGELRY :(

The Bagelry was one of my favorite places to catch a quick bite to eat. They had the best staff and even better bagels. In fact, they had been awarded NH's best bagel for 3 straight years. It was a real treat when my parents would take me there before school. Unfortunately, the Bagelry had been bought out by another local chain. After the transaction, nothing had changed, pictures were still on the walls and most importantly, the bagels were still as they had been. But when I walked in there this morning, I was shocked. They had taken down all of the original art, removed all of the tables and chairs. They even took down the menu board and bagel racks. There was quite a line, and I didn't even bother waiting. Not liking the new "renovations" I turned around and back to our car. I can't imagine many other locals are happy with this change. And when the sudents return, I think they'll be rather upset as well.

• Visited August 2012