“Cute B&B with a great breakfast”
Review of Three Chimneys Inn

Three Chimneys Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durham
San Diego, California
“Cute B&B with a great breakfast”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed a night with my parents. It is a very cute place with a great tavern for dinner and/or a drink and a lovely breakfast in the morning. I imagine this would be a great place to stay as a weekend away with a spouse - very romantic. Being there during the summer there were not many students and the town was very small and quiet but we went to drive around and explore the greater surrounding area, so that wasn't a problem. Overall a great stay I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 13, 2009

Great place for a trip with a partner. Very nice service and comfortable rooms. Very stylish and tasty breakfast.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
abbyjean25
Reviewed February 15, 2009

I spent valentine weekend here at the inn. Although i was disappointed when i got to my room due to the fact i was under the understanding that i had a working fire place in the room the rest of the stay was top notch. Breakfast was the best meal and even though they say they sever till 9 930 they do go longer if need as well as the cheese and wine hour is more like two. These things are great! We had lunch in the tavern and the salad was great! Every staff member was very very nice and i always felt welcome. As i said i was disappointed at the fire place but the rest was great.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the lack of understanding at booking
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kittery, Maine
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We enjoyed a one night stay in a ground level room located in the Inn's Carraige Barn. We stayed during a quite, mid-week but understood the Inn was expecting to be full over the upcoming Valentine's weekend. We liked our room very much, supposedly one of the best/most popular at the Inn. We found the room to be very clean, nicely decorated and quite. The room featured black and white photos of classic movie starts and a very tall, four posted, king size bed. The height of the bed off the floor was novel at first (you needed to use step stools to get into it) but climbing up and down got old. Based on photos and room desciptions, tall beds seems to be a trademark of the Inn so be fore warned. The room also had a gas fireplace and a two person soaking tub. We enjoyed both.

We spent several hours in the Inn's Tavern. It has a great old world pub feeling, a nice selection of beer and wine, and a friendly staff. We especially enjoyed chatting with the bar tender/bar manager as we sat at the bar. The food was good (but not great) and the menu upscale.

Breakfast was a bit odd. The front desk attendent was also our server. She gave us the impression that she either was uncomfortable handling both duties or simply unhappy to. In any case, the service wasn't the greatest eventhough there was only four of us to be waited on. We had to ask a lot of questions (like, can we order hot breakfast or is there just the limited buffet to choose from?) because the server didn't greet us with basic information. The food was okay. Not bad, just weak... like the really weak coffee we were served.

Recap: We loved the room. Enjoyed the tavern. Found the food to good, but not great, and the service to be a little quirky. The Inn's atmosphere goes a long way for making up for minor shortcomings in service and food.

• Liked — Room amenities
  • Disliked — staff attitude
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed at the Three Chimneys Inn while visiting our son at UNH last month. The Inn is a renovated colonial mansion with 23 rooms, I believe. Each room is beautifully appointed and the owners kept much of the original beauty of the 1600's-era home; the on-site restaurant gave us great service, fantastic food with a local flavor, and the ambiance, complete with working fireplaces, made us want to stay there, warm and cozy, all winter! The rumor is that the grounds are haunted by the original inhabitants, but they must be friendly spirits, because we felt very welcome. We strongly recommend this inn to anyone staying in the area.

• Liked — The ambience
  • Stayed January 2009
CT
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I made a reservation and then in less than 24 hours had to cancel. When I called to cancel the man who answered the phone said there would be no cancellation fee since I was canceling so soon after making the reservation. In spite of this a charge still appeared on my card. When I called to inquire I was told by a woman (in so many words) "tough".

If this is how this place handles a situation like this I can only imagine that my stay there would have been subpar as well.

It took $25 for me to understand that I will NEVER book this B & B nor will I refer anyone to it.

Great way to create good customer relations, Three Chimneys! Three boos to you!

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank artdevoir
Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2008

This was our second visit to Three Chimneys. Our first visit, three years ago, was fantastic, so we were really looking forward to our stay. We reserved room #26 - the most expensive room in the inn.
The staff was very consistant - consistantly rude, that is. From check in to check out, we were treated as if we were a bother rather than a guest.

On the morning of check out, my husband had a speaking engagement, so we requested a fifteen to thirty minutes late check out, not an unusual request in the hotel business. We were told absolutely not, that if we were not out of our room at 11:00 on the dot, we we be charged for another full day. I ended up waiting the extra fifteen minutes for my husband's return in the parking lot. Good thing it wasn't raining. So much for accomodating their guests.

In addition to the horrible behavior demonstrated by the staff at the front desk, our mattress was as hard as a slab of cement, and the pillows were the nasty foam kind of pillows that keep you neck at akward and uncomfortable angles, guarenteeing a trip to the chiropractor once you return home. Don't expect any pillow-topped or down bedding here! During our three day stay, we were never even given clean towels. For $240.00 a night, I would at least expected a change of towels. That's just gross.

We will NEVER stay at Three Chimneys again, and I strongly recommend anyone considering booking a room at the inn to consider other B&B's in the area (There are plenty in the area.)
Unless of course, you enjoy paying to be treated like garbage.

JEERS to THREE CHIMNEYS!

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank dovecreek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Holiday Inn Express Durham
Hampton Inn Dover
#1 of 6 in Dover
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown

Been to Three Chimneys Inn? Share your experiences!