“Decent Chinese Food ”

Mei Wei
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 19, 2017 via mobile

I wouldn't really say there is anything special about Mei Wei. The food I have tried seems to be pretty bland and lack flavor. Their prices are pretty comparable to competing Chinese restaurants although their portions are slightly lacking. Nothing to write home about.

One last thing - they are rarely ever rude on the phone which is a plus.

Reviewed January 12, 2017

When Happy City in Somersworth closed suddenly after the owner died, and Mr. Wong of Yangtze Restaurant in Somersworth retired and closed, our area was left without great Chinese food. The next best place is Mei Wei.

This restaurant serves Traditional Chinese, Chinese American, and Japanese cuisine.

The décor was sleek and plain. The main room just inside the door had little alcoves created by panels. We asked to be seated in the back room.

The regular menu had a wide variety of authentic Hunan and Szechuan dishes featuring chicken, beef, pork, and seafood as well as some vegan offerings. The menu also included Crispy Duck.

Their Combination Platters were available Monday to Saturday at lunchtime for $7.15 and also at dinnertime for $9.15. The Chicken with Vegetables, Chicken with Broccoli, Beef with Broccoli, Beef with Mushrooms, Sesame Chicken, Sweet & Sour Chicken and Shrimp in Garlic Sauce all sounded appealing.

We ultimately decided on the Lunch Buffet at $8.25 + tax.

Although the number of choices on the buffet were more limited than other buffets, the quality of the food was better. Mei Wei’s buffet had Chicken Fingers ~ something that none of the other buffets had; and, they were excellent. The Crab Rangoons were pretty good.

The lo mein noodle dish was very good. There was also a chow mein.

There were about eight more selections that were mostly vegetable combinations ~ some with meat, some without. We sampled a few. All were well prepared.

And, the steam table did keep everything hot. We’ve found that this is a shortcoming of many other buffet restaurants. So, Mei Wei got a few extra points for this.

The buffet also had some petit pastries. Those were good.

The place was clean.

Service was okay but not great, but we didn’t require attentive service for the buffet. We got our tea and checks when we wanted them. That was good enough for us.

I’d been here before several years prior. I’d regarded the place as good but not spectacular. I’d say that it has improved since then. It’s much better now.

We rate Mei Wei at a substantial cut above average at 3.75.

We’ve agreed that we’d found our new “go to” replacement restaurant for the two that had closed.

We can recommend Mei Wei to others for those looking for an oriental restaurant in the Dover-Durham area.

If you found this review helpful, please click THANK below.

1  Thank Maurene_K
Reviewed September 16, 2016

Awesome sushi, and sake! Friendly service and some of the best tobiko roe I've had in a long time! We will be back next time in Durham!

Reviewed July 28, 2016

This place has changed a lot in the 11+ years I've lived in the area. It is a great place for quick Chinese, Japanese, or Sushi. The food is always fresh and tasty. Take out is great, but service is good and it is a pleasant place for dinner. This is a regular stop for us.

Reviewed May 20, 2016

Had lunch here as my wife and I wanted to try an oriental buffet after a few days in the area. Read reviews and thought it was worth a try. We were wrong. The only reason this place stays open is that it caters to the many Chinese students at the UNH in Durham. They have no other place to go. The buffet was the worse I have had (and I have eaten in Chinese buffet all over the world). The Chinese food was greasy and tasteless with no variety whatever. The only sushi was a couple of cucumber sushi. NOTHING ELSE! My wife had a combination plate that was one of the worse she has ever eaten (she is Asian, incidentally). Furthermore, I found out later that they have a separate Chinese menu which may have contained better fare. Question? Why they didn't show it to use, given my wife's clear ethnic aspect?
I will never go back.