Holiday Inn Express Durham
$188
Motel 6 Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
$76
  • Pool
Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
$145
$132
All reviewsnew hampshirecollege townwithin walking distancecollege visitfree breakfastbreakfast offeringslate at nightnice propertylate arrivalroom was clean and comfortablenice staymain streetlobby areabagelswould highly recommend this hotelthird floorcampus
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, and it's not even that the rooms and/or location were that terrible.

The staff here is absolutely the rudest bunch of employees I have ever had the displeasure of coming in contact with. We're not talking regular rude, we're talking spit-in-your-food-slamming-the-door-on-you kind of rude.

Let's start with our check in. Our rooms had been paid for 8 months in advance for a wedding. Someone else's name was on our booked room (fine) but I called earlier to make sure we didn't have to do anything special when we checked in. "Nope, just list the name on the room" Sue said. Well, we get there after driving 4 hours and they won't let us check in - just as I expected. Luckily the party our room was listed under just arrived. The staff continued to be tart and short with all four of us. Completely uninterested and not helpful they shooed us up to our rooms without even telling us where they were.

Fast forward and we arrive back at the hotel around 1:30 am. I see a sign for "parking passes required or you will be towed". Funny, we NEVER GOT A PARKING PASS. I went in and argued with another "manager" at the front desk for a pass. He kept telling me he gave us one and he didn't. See comment above about other party listed on our reservation. SHE didn't get a parking pass and neither did we. Rudest man I've ever encountered, EVER. Obviously, the hotel (and it's staff) are in cahoots with the towing company.

Of course I wake up the next morning and Skippy's Towing, whatever the name of it, has towed our car across the street. It's $120.00 to bail our car out from ACROSS THE STREET because the man at the counter NEVER GAVE US A PARKING PASS and then REFUSED TO GIVE ME ONE THAT NIGHT.

We won't even pay too much attention to the fact that our family stayed in the room next door and they could never tell them how to get the messages of their machine. Or how the hotel staff was swearing a big stream of expletives throughout the hallway one morning, or how we asked "what is fun to do around here" and were given the cold shoulder.

Sue, the "manager" stands out in my mind as one of the worst, nastiest, rudest employees/human being I have ever encountered. How rude of a hotel that had so many rooms blocked off for our special event to treat us so poorly.

Holiday Inn, you should be ashamed of yourselves. I won't be supporting you in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hycaliber
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear hycaliber,

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was one of the cleanest places I've ever stayed. Parking is easy, & the staff is extemely attentive. I've stayed over 10 times, and never had a problem with noise. Free breakfast has a great selection. Feels like home - only cleaner!

Room Tip: All rooms were great.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank W F
HIEDurhamManager, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thank you for the compliments! We take pride in having high cleanliness standards and we are thrilled that you noticed. It's great to hear that you have stayed with us over 10 times...cheers to another 10, we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Excellent old school new england exterior (but new building). Awesome front desk help, very clean and quiet, decent fitness/cardio equipment. Breakfast was good.
Very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Small enough where I don't think any room is better than another. My room was great; third floor 2 away from elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2012

If you are travelling to the University of New Hampshire, this hotel is a good choice. It is within walking distance of the campus, the staff are incredibly friendly and the breakfast is fine. It is an older hotel with only a few amenities but it serves the purpose. I have stayed there many times and it has been consistently clean and pleasant. Plenty of parking too.

Room Tip: I have stayed in many rooms on all floors, they are consistent.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel. Rooms were clean, breakfast was great, and the staff was very friendly! My son is starting UNH this fall and my husband and I will absolutely come back to this hotel. We were even able to get great tips from the hotel staff on things to do in Portsmouth when we come up to visit. Looking forward to a great 4 years!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family