“A Swan in the making!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Dover B&B and Inns
massachusetts
“A Swan in the making!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

If you like a host with a positive attitude and will carry your bags to the car, then you've go it!
This is a beautiful Victorian with charm, and more charm. It is centrally located in Dover! I had gone with my husband to trace my geneology roots, and stayed three nights.

The Inn itself, has enormous high ceilings, with beautiful molding. Our room had a window ac, which was quiet.(we had the king room, downstairs). The house is old, and if you aren't familiar with 'old', which might mean you don't appreciate old fixtures, windows, that don't open, plumbing that bangs, when you turn on the shower, climbing stairs to the second and third floor-then perhaps you should go to the Ramada.

The new owners have big plans for the Inn, and we've no doubt they will be in full swing of things as time marches on! WE will go back!

We met lovely couples there. All with adventurous spirits, it seemed. I think when you stay at a B&B you need to have that kind of spirit.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about the bathrooms. You may not like a claw foot tub(we have one of our own, so...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My stay here was perfect. From the minute I walked in, it was like stepping into a Victorian dream. Everything was decorated absolutely beautifully and the inn is gorgeous. The whole inn has a wonderful atmosphere, a very welcoming vibe. The owner and staff were more than willing to accommodate my needs and went out of their way to make sure that my stay was comfortable. I arrived early and the staff made sure to accommodate me so that my travel plans would run smoothly; everyone was friendly and even visitors entering & leaving the inn would always give me a warm hello.

I stayed in the room called "The Vivienne" and it was absolutely gorgeous; everything was decorated beautifully down to the detail. The bathroom was filled with everything you need: towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, lotion, etc. I also had wifi access, which worked extremely well; sometimes the internet can be slow, but I had no such issue here at all. There is also a telephone in the room in case you need to call anywhere. I really loved this room and would never leave if I could.

There is breakfast served daily downstairs from 8-10am. Having slept in, I missed breakfast, but Jim (the innkeeper) was more than happy to make me food when I came downstairs after breakfast was already over. I even hung around in the "lobby" for a couple hours after check-out while waiting for the train (which happens to be conveniently located only a 15 minute walk away), and Jim was more than willing to allow me to stay.

I had the most pleasant stay here at the Silver Fountain Inn and I definitely recommend it to anyone planning on visiting here; I will for sure be recommending it to my friends!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Weatogue, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My Husband, Mom, Aunt and Uncle just returned from a mini getaway in the Dover area. Our experience at the Silver Fountain Inn was extremely positive. The owners Jim and Pam are totally hands on and extremely accommodating. I also have to comment on the value...outstanding. The rooms are so nicely done, most comfortable beds and breakfast is just right. My son is a frequently cast as an actor during the summer season in ME. We will be back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Strongsville, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We were moving our daughter to NH and needed a place to spend one night. We were so fortunate to have found the Silver Fountain. It is in a perfect location, close to town but on a quiet street. It is beautifully furnished and Jim and Pam were very gracious innkeepers. Our breakfasts were delicious and plentiful. Our room was perfect. We will stay here again on our next visit to Dover.

• Stayed July 2013
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I love the Portsmouth area and usually visit at least once a year and have always stayed in Portsmouth itself...this year I couldn't find anything, so I decided to widen my area just a bit and noticed the Silver Fountain Inn in Dover. Well, I don't plan on staying anywhere else when I visit again. This was just delightful. The house was built in the mid 1800's and is in stunning condition. The ceilings are high, the moldings are amazing, the furnishings are fabulous...very, very nice. I stayed in the Duchess on the first floor, but Pam gave me a tour of the entire house and most of the rooms, and I honestly didn't find one I wouldn't be happy in. There are plans to render all the fireplaces to working fireplaces which will just add all the more to the ambience. The bed was comfortable, the entire building clean, and the breakfast was very nice...scones, delicious coffee, juice, french toast. Pam and Jim are very friendly and make you feel very welcome. And the price was good. All in all a very, very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Silver Fountain Inn has raised the bar on what to expect from a Bed and Breakfast! What a wonderful place with so much character, is so easy to get caught up in the time period when this Inn was built. Beautiful rooms, high ceilings, beautiful wood molding, certainly a "must stay" if your travel plans bring you to NH! For all the University of New Hampshire parents out there the Inn is just minutes up the road!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Havertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I were driving home from Peak's Island, Maine the weekend after the fourth of July. Traffic was so horrendous on Sunday evening, we decided to just find a place to sleep for the night and get a fresh start on Monday morning. I just happened to have a Bed and Breakfast Guide with me and when we saw that there was a B and B in Dover, decided to call and see if there was availability. Pam's very cheery voice answered the phone and she said yes, they did have a room available but that she would have to make the bed for us :) When could she expect us? ...I told her that we would be there in ten minutes. When we arrived, we were greeted by both she and Jim. I always ask about their "B and B story" and Jim told us that they had just purchased the property the previous Monday! The house is lovely and immaculately clean. We were on the third floor, in room 8 which I believe is the Gazebo Room. The wifi for my computer was not working properly and unfortunately , we couldn't get the TV going either but that did not affect how we felt about our last minute stay. The room was comfy although I think if we were to book again, we wouldn't choose a room on the third floor as it was a hike for my older knees. Breakfast was a veggie scramble with an assortment of veggies to choose from with toast . We started the meal off with homemade muffins and a choice of cranberry or orange juice. Pam is a gracious and friendly host and is an "innkeeper in the making ". We wish this young couple much success in this new venture!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and if you have trouble with steps, you would probably prefer a second fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
#1 of 5 in Dover
Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover
Comfort Inn & Suites Dover
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown

Been to Silver Fountain Inn? Share your experiences!