“Surprise Birthday Dinner”

Orchard Street Chop Shop
Reserve with OpenTable
Orchard Street Chop Shop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 115 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Central Ave.
Transit: Within a few hundred yards.
Description: We are the first true prime steakhouse in the state of NH featuring dry-aged steaks and Wine Spectator award winning wine list. Opened in 2004 by acclaimed CIA chef, Chris "Koz" Kozlowski, the restaurant garnered the prestigious "Hidden Jewel" award from the Phantom Gourmet in 2013. Chef Koz is the only chef to receive this award twice in the state of NH. The restaurant is located in an old firehouse building located right downtown Dover. The downstairs is more elegant with white tablecloths and chandeliers. The upstairs is called the Top of the Chop and features a more casual atmosphere with a lighter "Rustic Menu". In the warmer months, you can have dinner outside on the Terrace, our outdoor deck. We also have a full kids menu.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprise Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Chop House recently hosted my mother's 90th birthday dinner. Ages ranged from 90 down to 5!
Everyone's needs were met with courteous and professional service. The food was delivered at the same time , everything hot and beautifully presented. The children's menu was a huge hit with all the great grandchildren!
I would highly reccomend that if your special occasion has need for a cake ask the chef for his chocolate cake with chocolate frosting , FABULOUS!
It was a lovely experience and the planning for this was made painless with Corey's assistance.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Suzanne W

Dracut, Massachusetts
“Does not live up to the word "Chop House"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I selected this restaurant as we 4 couples we were dining with. We were seated immediately and were told by 3 servers who our was and that she would be with soon. Well it 30 to get a drink. It took over an hour for our. The big disappointment was that the 3 people who ordered steaks (dry aged) were terribly saddened by both the look and texture. One person ordered haddock and it was dry, in Dover!! The night continued with desert which also was a dismal failure. I guess it goes without saying we will not be back.

Somersworth, New Hampshire, USA
“Family Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The fried chicken, the alligator cheesecake, the steaks... this place is perfect for my family. Whenever we want a nice meal out, the Chop Shop is where we head. The upstairs bar is perfect for a casual evening, and downstairs is great for a romantic night out with my husband.

The staff has always had a bit of a relaxed pace, which we expect from a good steak house.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Brandy G
Durham, New Hampshire
“Decent Steak house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

One of the only steak houses in the area--certainly beats all the chains but does not live up to the price. Wine list is also way over priced

Visited May 2012
Dover, New Hampshire
“Wish I went to Outback instead”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

My family and I had been looking forward to going to the Chop House for some time, saving it for a special occasion. We average a good meal out twice a week and really looked forward to the Chop House. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed. The service was good, but the chicken my wife had was very dry and tasteless. My son and I had NY strip steaks and paid the extra $3 for au poivre sauce. To say they were tasteless is an understatement. Even with the pepercorn sauce both the meat and sauce were poor substitutes for what we've had at chain restaurants. My baked potato was barely warm. We were just in Montreal, and ate at the Keg restaurant in the Old Port. The steaks were miles ahead of what we had tonight. I never give a bad review but if a steak house can't get it right I don't know who should.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Brian V

Been to Orchard Street Chop Shop? Share your experiences!