“Mixed Reviews from Our Table”
Review of Mason's Barley Pub Incorporated - CLOSED

Mason's Barley Pub Incorporated
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Never having been in New England before, it was fun to find a local pub facing some buildings that (to us) looked reminiscent of a set from "Back to the Future". Service was very slow, but we were in no hurry. Tasted some local brews which were good. Sandwiches were interesting. Never had a reuben made with schnitzel before, or pastrami with fried pork belly. Though I'm not a big fan of fried food, the tastes were surprisingly pretty good. Daughter had the interesting-sounding grilled cheese sandwich and was disappointed. We actually cut all 3 sandwiches up so we could all share each one and I would agree- the pastrami was very spicy; the grilled cheese was kind of tasteless; but the reuben was interesting and was the favorite by a margin over the pastrami. Chips (I think they're homemade) were the best.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

35 beers on tap, including the full line of Smuttynose, a New Hampshire brewery I'm very fond of. Excellent, homemade food, and while they do have burgers, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to have one; they have house pates, tasting menus, locally sourced food, and inventive preparations. The bartender was very friendly and we had such a good time that we wanted to take the entire bar home with us!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were very happy with everything here @ the Barley Pub! We tried the Dogfish head Indian Brown, Allagash Dubbel and Founders session Ipa, all fantasic choices. We had the braised Pork Shank and Duck Confit, very tender, fall off the bone tasty pork and the duck nicely done as a sandwich. Kudos, Can't wait to try the Rasputin, Curieux and Matilda next time. And we love how they have a lot of different beer styles covered and a big enough list that appears to change periodically to always have something new to try. All while watching the world go by at a window table in the center of town, nice!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We visited for the first time on a Saturday afternoon. The entrance is rather uninviting, when you walk into the entry way there is an odd hostess station which was unattended when we visited. There is an opening on the right and the first thing you see is pool tables and a bar, not exactly what I expected. One of the servers saw us and told us to sit wherever we wanted.

We were lucky enough to get a nice window table so we could look at at the square while we ate. We started with the gnocchi which was very good. My husband ordered the Schnitzel Reuben -Breaded and fried pork loin with house made sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and thousand island dressing, on lightly toasted rye. Or in this case, one side burnt and one side very lightly toasted. I had the grilled cheese-Herb Boursin cheese with spinach and tomato, on sourdough. The grilled cheese was good, but should have had a bit more spinach and tomato. We opted for the chips with both. I loved the chips and think they might have been homemade, they should promote them more because they are great. They do have a wonderful beer selection.

The decor is rather dark/dingy with a bar, pool tables, a few window tables, a small stage area for music. It is 1/2 carpeted with a dirty greenish carpet, please rip this out and burn it. The atmosphere does not match the menu at all-Tuna Tartare, Duck and Foie Gras Terrine, Duck Confit etc. I think they need to decide which direction they want to go for...pub or upscale because the decor totally contradicts the menu.

1  Thank w81minute
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've been a patron of the Barley Pub for years now, and I was so excited to see a real food menu when they opened their new location. Unfortunately, the food was better when they didn't even have a kitchen!

I will say that the tots and gnocchi are great, but everything else I've ordered hasn't been so great. I think that they're trying too hard to serve more high-end/interesting food when they should focus on serving more pub-like food again because that's what they're good at. Back to the panini press, I miss those!

And as someone else said, the tots need to be more plentiful for sure... potatoes are cheap. The homemade ketchups are DELICIOUS! As well as the ginger dipping sauce. Or throw some fries on the menu because the meals aren't very filling for the most part.

Beers are pricey, but they always have been. The great thing is that they take cards now. The waitstaff and bartenders are always friendly and helpful. It's not the old Barley Pub, but the atmosphere is still nice.

Overall, I would love it if they gave up on the fancy food and went back to being a pub again. Even the sandwiches are dry. More paninis! More bar food!

1  Thank kjp57