“Spot on”
Review of Fish Shanty - CLOSED

Fish Shanty
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Service, price & food are great and definitely worth a visit to The Fish Shanty. In business atire or jeans you'll fit in just fine. Great place for lunch & dinner. I love the lobster bisque and the fish sandwich. The fisherman's platter can easily be split by 2 or 3 people with leftovers. Not to mention the homemade tartar sauce! If you love seafood, you'll love The Fish Shanty.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I were in town for a few hours on a Friday night and went in search of a decent meal. It would either be Chinese or seafood. I'm glad we chose the seafood. I remember going to a Fish Shanty in Portsmouth years ago, and they always had great food. So when I saw one in Dover, I wondered if they were the same family that had the store in Portsmouth, and figured we had to see for ourselves.

It was an hour before closing time, and there was only one other party of two seated. We went upstairs, and the dining room was comfortable, but a little too dimly lit. Reading the menu was a bit difficult.

We ordered a fried combo with scallops and haddock, fries and onion rings; and a fish sandwich with sweet potato fries. The food came out quick, hot and well presented. There was a generous portion of haddock and scallops on the combo, and the sandwich was well more than my wife could eat. She said her sweet potato fries were perfect, and some of the best she'd had anywhere. The haddock in the combo was a nice thick piece, just the way I like it, as opposed to the thin sheet of haddock we always seem to get at Newick's in Concord. The batter was light, just enough to coat the fish and scallops without leaving you with that sick feeling that you ate too much grease and batter. It seems like such a simple thing to coat fish, but we always seem to feel sick after eating at some seafood restaurants. Not here. It was perfect. I am a picky with my coleslaw. I like it light without too much dressing. Again, this was absolutely perfect.

For $40 we had a great dinner in a nice location. I wish we had had more time to walk around a bit, but rest assured, we will be back to the Fish Shanty in Dover. Next time we will bring our two kids, one of whom is our fish chowder expert. I bet the chowder is as good as the rest of the food we tried here.

Great place, and worth the visit

1  Thank LostinBohol
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We where in Dover on a Sunday afternoon looking for a nice 'non chain' lunch spot so we parked on their scenic Main Street and just started poking around and looking at menus. Quite a few places to eat in town but the Shanty menu caught our attention. We ordered the fried vegetable appetizer to start and it was delicious. Perfectly breaded and very tasty. The Chowder was excellent and very hearty. We had the Greek Salad with grilled marinated chicken, and the Ceasar Salad with the grilled marinated chicken. Both where fresh, tasty and well prepared.

I would have given it an excellent but they loose a circle for the dated 80's decor and 80's graphic 'aging' artwork that's apparently for sale-and no a/c on a sticky afternoon. They've been open successfully for 30 years, now it's time for an interior freshening! The staff was warm and inviting. You really know you are in a local place with a staff and owner that cares. The owner was very nice, and was speaking with the 'regulars' who seem to come in and their orders are placed with a nod and a I'll have the usual, and then chat about local gossip... Love these kind of places. Worth a stop if you are in downtown Dover.

1  Thank Christopher T
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Went there today was hungryyyy so sat ourselves, Took over 30 minutes to get our meal while putting up with a locker smell in the dining room my fish was cooked frozen was dripping of water yuckk very pricey for frozen fish. A one hour lunch from Hell

Reviewed June 18, 2013

You get your typical american seafood cuisine here. The fried and the baked. The clam chowder wasn't bad though.