“Ok”
Review of Fish Shanty - CLOSED

Fish Shanty
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dover, New Hampshire
“Ok”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Fish Shanty is located at 471 Central Avenue in Dover, at the top of the hill, just before the older more historic section of Dover's downtown begins. The Fish Shanty is one of the older Dover independent restaurants.

My wife and I had dinner at the Fish Shanty in June 2012. We hadn't been there in about 10 years, mostly because I am not a fan of fried seafood, and there are many restaurants in the greater Dover/Portsmouth area. We recieved a gift certificate, and went. Before going, I went online to look at the menu, and was pleasantly surprised to see some greek influenced items, as well as a small, separate greek menu.

The Fish Shanty does not have its' own parking lot, but there is considerable street parking in the immediatie vicinty. There are two dining areas, both decorated the same, one upon first entering, and a larger one with a separate small raised area within, to your left upon entering. There are at least 25 tables in the Fish Shanty, and when we dined early on a Sunday evening, there was only one other party there. Before we left, two other small partys had entered.

We were promply greeted, and elected to sit in the larger dining area, near the big window facing Central Avenue. Our server was pleasant. There were no specials. I inquired about the greek menu, as the greek items online I found the greek menu listed as "specials", were not on the regular menu. We were promptly given greek menus.

My wife elected a small FIsherman's Platter for $19.95. I chose the Pastitsio, a mediterranean baked lasagna with ground beef and béchamel sauce, which came with a small greek salad, for $12.95. I tried some of the items on her platter, and there were fine, about the same as you could get anywhere else. Again, I'm not a huge fried seafood fan. My wife would have rated the platter a 7 - 8 on a scale of 1 - 10. I wasn't that thrilled with the Pasitsio. It was a nice sized portion, but I found it a little bland, and found myself wishing I had ordered something else.The predominant flavor was a light nutmeg. I have limited knowledge of greek food, but would have liked more ground beef in it. The small greek salad was ok.

There were some items on the menu that interested me, that if I returned I might try, such as a scallop melt sandwich, a chicken mykonos and a haddock santorini sandwich.

Our server was attentive throughout the meal, but not intrusive. The meal was ok, but unsatisfying to me, as my expectations were perhaps set a little too high by the nice descriptions on the menu.

If you like fried seafood, you might be very pleased with the Fish Shanty. If, however, you are not looking for fried seafood, I would try a different Dover restaurant.

1 Thank jebblackfish

New Hampshire, USA
“Couldn't Get Past the Smell of Bathroom Disinfectant”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

After reading all of the glowing reviews, I was looking forward to trying the Fish Shanty last weekend. Didn't happen. We walked in, were literally overwhelmed with the stench of bathroom disinfectant that smelled EVERYWHERE in the restaurant. We walked in, looked at each other, walked to the upstairs looked at each other, gagged, and had to turn around and walk out. What a disappointment.

2 Thank gingergirl007
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“There's Nothing Shanty About It....”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

When we arrived in Dover it was cold and raining. We had been travelling for a few hours and just wanted a decent meal and a warm bed. We stayed at The Days Inn next door to The Fish Shanty and it seemed wise to just eat there rather than risk more cold and wet. EXCELLENT CHOICE!! Having lived in New England all our lives and just returning from Maine, we were not expecting the freshness of the fish served. I opted for broiled haddock and scallops and my friend had broiled haddock and shrimp. The scallops and shrimp were good - but the haddock was OUTSTANDING. Certainly some of the best haddock we've ever tasted....and we've eaten a lot of haddock. This is a family owned restaurant since the early '70's and their experience is evident in the food. Ann, our waitress and daughter of the founder, was wonderful and a pleasure to talk with. Her mom was a hoot and also came to our table to be sure we had all we needed. The atmosphere is clean and friendly, but who cares when your focus should be on the outstanding food? Service is great and this family has won us over. Thank you Ann....we will be back!!

Dover, New Hampshire
“One of our favorite lunch spots!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This restaurant is excellent and has a lot more than fish. My favorite is a broiled haddock sandwich open-faced on pita bread. They must make their own tarter sauce- as it tastes like no other I have had. They have everything from chicken parm sandwiches to greek dishes. Excellent chowder. Visitors from out of town always love the scallop melt! Food is always fresh and delicious! Annie is a wonderful hostess who makes everyone feel welcome!

Visited May 2012
Dover, New Hampshire, United States
“A really good local seafood restaurant.”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Been eating at The Fish Shanty for 20 years and have never been disappointed. Great lobster salad and the fried seafood is the best around. Service is always good and friendly.

Visited January 2012