“Great location”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2014

This place is huge! If you get lucky enough to get a window seat, you have an excellent view of the water with your meal. To me, the food is average, and the prices are average/a bit pricey. I usually order fried whole clams. I think you can get better ones on the beach if you're willing to go to Maine, but for the location, it's good! It has a nice family atmosphere and people of all ages come here to get some good seafood. If you're in Dover, it's the best seafood you can get.

1  Thank Steve C

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We have been going here for years and it continues to be as good as ever. Perfect for after the beach in Hampton because you can take a scenic drive up the coast and then head over to this restaurant on the water.

The inside is huge, but there will still be a wait in season. Don't worry the food is worth the wait. Probably some of the best fries clams ever. Prices on lobsters are okay. Cheaper than up in Maine and they are delicious. My only less than perfect comment is the tiny popcorn shrimp used in the fisherman's platter. Never seen this before and not very good unless you are sharing with kids who don't care.

Absolutely a great family eatery with a beautiful view. Try it as you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband, daughter and I took a trip (short trip, because we live in the New Hampshire Seacoast region) to Newick's for lunch today. My husband had a craving for fried whole clams (not clam strips, for heaven's sake. Whole clams are the only way to go, he says), and Newicks always has good clams. Daughter ordered a lobster roll, and I tried the Tuesday Special, which was Fish Tacos. The 'tacos' were rather curious- a soft taco shell with a spoonful of cole slaw (of all things) topped by a fried bit of fish. A strange taco, indeed, but strangely comforting and satisfying. A good lunch at a reliable restaurant.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I have been coming to Newick's for over 30 years. And, our most recent visit was as good as our first back in 1982. At that time Newick's served a triple lobster special which we always seemed to order. But, today we always opt for their fried lobster tails (we split a large order). Fried lobster tails are hard to find in seafood restaurants (we live along the Connecticut shore and have found only one place that offers them locally; and not even close to Newick's standards). So when we come to the Portsmouth area it is mandatory that we stop at Newick's for our periodic “fix”. We would not visit the New Hampshire coast without a stop here. The restaurant has changed little over the years. It is large, is on the water (Piscataqua River), is far from fancy, is family oriented, has a friendly and helpful wait staff, and at times (especially in season) can be very crowded. But, as noted, it is large and the wait is usually bearable (and worthwhile). A little flexibility in your arrival time (before or after peak) will ensure immediate seating. All of the seafood offerings are very good and while we have sampled most of them we still lean toward our favorite; Fried Lobster Tails. Try all of the offerings. The menu is varied and there is surely something on it that any seafood lover will find enjoyable.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Newick's is by far my favorite seafood restaurant!!! Their food is fantastic, and the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable - we don't feel like we have to dress up to go out to eat and have a good time. We have birthday dinners there all the time! Every summer when our family comes to town we always have to make a special trip to Newick's because it is everyone's favorite. If you haven't tried their thick and creamy clam chowder you HAVE to! It's the best clam chowder I've ever had. We love to get their fried native shrimp, clam strips, fried mushrooms, chicken strips, fried haddock nuggets, among other things. Then of course their is lobster. :D Getting hungry just thinking about it. If you haven't tried Newick's and will be in the area - you've got to try it.

Been to Newick's Lobster House? Share your experiences!