“real vietnamese”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great pho, great Vietnamese, try the vermancelli --real find in dover. The Japanese is good as well. Rare to find food this authentic in this neck of the woods

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I wanted very much to love this place. The service was prompt and friendly, and the menu is filled with delicious-sounding items. The owner stopped by to chat for a bit and seemed genuinely interested in our experience. I have some mild criticisms of the food, maybe nitpicks:

* The peanut sauce served with our garden rolls was surprisingly bland. The squeeze bottle hoisin and sriracha adorning each table had more flavor and better complimented the rolls.

* The chicken within the garden rolls was boring, unnecessary. Next time we'll either ask to omit it, or try the tofu option.

* The pho broth lacked character, more of a nice chicken consume with a bit of five spice. It was good, just lacked a certain funk that I like in pho. A squirt of lime and some hot chile (which frustratingly was served whole and not sliced) helped some.

* The texture of the noodles (both in the pho and in a vermicelli dish) was wrong; not quite mushy, but lacking the springy chew of properly cooked rice noodles. Based on this one visit, I would have to say that Sara Thai just up the street serves more interesting pho, and a better version of noodle salad.

* Our sushi featured room-temperature fish, which always makes me a little nervous. It tasted good, so it's possible it just sat for a couple minutes too long between preparation and delivery.

Overall this was a decent meal which lacked a bit of refinement. I would love to see this place work out some wrinkles and become a huge success. I'm looking forward to a return visit to see if maybe last night (Sunday 7PM) was just an off-night.

3  Thank JPankratz
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband and I read reviews and decided to give this place a try. We enjoyed the relaxed ambiance, the friendly and helpful staff and the fabulous food. We tried the pho - I loved the vegetarian pho to which they added cod at our request. It is a meal in itself! Not realizing this, we also ordered and enjoyed salmon sushi rolls and a shrimp and scallions to share - which were excellent! My husband was not impressed with the spring rolls.
We ended our meal with delicious mango and ginger ice cream. This is definitely worth visiting. The husband -wife team have put their efforts into a new jewel in the Dover/Portsmouth area. When we are anywhere in the area, we will pay Saigon&Tokyo another visit! They do serve alcohol, which we did not know. Enjoy!

1  Thank Colleen J
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Went here with Vietnamese friends specifically to try the pho (I've tried their other dishes).
Pho was excellent.. good flavor. My friend felt it was as good as what her mom would make (her mom is an excellent Vietnamese cook). I've been back several times.

1  Thank RR S
Reviewed March 11, 2012

As a Dover resident who travels to boston to find pho soup, I came here with my wife just to get my fix. The tiny parking lot and cheap asian cuisine look to the building was soon forgotten about when we walked in. Finally, a mom and pop Asian restaurant in Dover that got it right! not just another greasy spoon, this place offers full vietnese, mandarin, and sushi menus, and some curry dishes as well. The fresh ingredients and quality meats with prices that are slightly higher than the undesirable places in town, we will definitely return here. We brought our baby boy, and the wait staff treated us like we were truly valued as guests. PLEASE stay open!

So far my wife and I have tried out the Pho, Hot and Sour soup, spring rolls, a vermicelli dish, chicken curry, and a taro root milk shake. No exagerrating, all its were a 9 or 10 with fresh vegetables and delicate sauces (no scary generic glazes here) as what sets it apart. On one visit, service was slow, but then again, they just opened that week.

They are risky to try a young, trendy Asian feel in Dover, but we love it.

1  Thank ToodleOn

Been to Saigon Tokyo? Share your experiences!