“Home away from home,great hotel”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
dover
“Home away from home,great hotel”
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Stayed for 6 months I was there on business.I had a king suite, it was veay clean,quiet and great amenities.It was minutes away from the Supermarket and other Restaurants in the area. The hotel staff was warm and very friendly,the breakfast and dinner were both free. Gave them a couple of ideas for the dinner menu and it worked out great.The best part I liked was that they offered a complimentary pass to the gym called the "works" which was only three miles away from the hotel. Excellent facility,for a great work out.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank francis251
HomewoodDoverNH, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
I was so happy to receive your review and thrilled that you enjoyed your extended stay here at the Homewood Suites by Hilton, Dover, NH. Thank you for your feedback on the dinner menu and happy that we were able to make adjustments where we could. We hope your travels will bring you our way again. Thank you, again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I have two children ages 16 months and 7 years. What a great hotel to go to with small children! My 7 year old loved the indoor pool! Great service, clean and very friendly staff. The breakfast in the morning was great for feeding two kids of different ages. We will definately be back again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
HomewoodDoverNH, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to express your favorable comments. We love having families stay with us. We look forward to accomodating you and your family next time you come to the area.

Hope to see you soon!
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I have such mixed feelings about this experience. We checked in on a Thursday night and took advantage of the free dinner. Salisbury steak, mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, rolls, wine, and beer. The dinner was actually good and JJ was nice enough to give cookies to my 94 year old father, who was celebrating his birthday. The one bedroom suite was nicely appointed and we enjoyed the hot tub that night. Settling down in a comfortable bed (no blankets, duvets only, worry about cleanliness in a hotel situation). Around 3:00 am I wake up dying of the heat, get up thermostat registered at 86 degrees, but was set at 72. I adjusted it and managed to get the air to come on, but lost several hours sleep with fooling with the unit. I thought it was a fluke, so didn't mention it to the front desk. Friday night, hit the sack, was up at about 4:30 a.m., temp 90 degrees, although set at 71 and it's locked on. I can't get it to turn off or get the air on. I went down to the front desk in morning and was greeted with a very indifferent clerk. I was told that housekeeping would look at it, since there wasn't any maintenance on duty. We were offered another room, but had a refrigerator full of food and all the luggage and I didn't have time to move everything. There was no offer of using another room only to sleep in or any offer of helping to move everything. I felt as if the desk clerk thought I was a moron for not being able to adjust the heat. I came back several hours later and stopped at the desk to find out if it had been resolved. The desk clerk (a new one) said she didn't think anyone looked at it, as there wasn't even a maintenance form filled out. I was told to speak to the manager in the morning. The power went out 2-3 times for several hours the third night. The hotel didn't have a generator and therefore there was no heat in the room at all. When the heat finally came on, it blasted out, so I turned the thermostat down to 67 and we froze that night. Three nights and no sleep because we were unable to control the room temperature. I went down in the morning to talk to the manager. Again, it was a very awkward conversation and I never felt there was any apology for our inconveniences. I was reminded they couldn't control power outages (understanding that, but no generators at a hotel?) and no maintenance on duty because it was a Saturday? She kept harping on what did I want....I finally said I would be happy if they didn't charge us at all because of our experience. End result was a credit of two nights on our bill. Walking away, I felt like they thought they had given me incredible customer service, when I had to barter for compensation. I would have gladly paid full price for three nights and enjoyed three good night's sleep, but that didn't happen. I'm sure the management felt they had rectified the situation, but it left me empty and disappointed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank marcee246
HomewoodDoverNH, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, February 12, 2011
I apologize that we did not provide you with the quality of service you deserve. We pride ourselves on making sure all of our guests have a comfortable stay at Homewood Suites. I want to make sure you are not disappointed with your resolution so I will be reaching out to you directly to resolve this matter.
Nova Scotia
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Like most Homewood Suites this is a very good place to stay. Clean, quiet and great amenities. Homewood Suites are very consistent properties. I was disappointed to find that this hotel did not honor my reservation for a 1 bedroom suite and the story connected with it did not appear to be true. Not a very professional approach to caring for the customer.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
HomewoodDover, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Good Day NSCanucks,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey about your stay with us on trip advisor. We very much appreciate it!
The incident about your room I believe I know what you are talking about, an award stay with Hilton...? We had your reservation but we were asking if you preferred a non smoking. I know that the way it was handled at check in was a confusion and I apologize. I hope you do try us again when in the Dover area. We do aim to please and care very much about our guests!
Thank you and have a great Holiday!
Key Largo, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Went to New Hamshire to see the leaves change. The hotel is a quiet gem. Everyone is very friendly. We were greeted by name at check in and almost every other time we passed the lobby. The room was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I have ever been in.
Nice and quiet location. The bed was extremely comfortable. The breakfast menu was excellent.
Note: The mexican resturant across the parking lot has a great bar for late night food and drinks.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HomewoodDover, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Hello Blues Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to do a survey about your stay here with us! We appreciate it very much. We are happy to see that you had a great time and enjoyed your room. We hope you choose to stay with us again when in the Dover area.

Thank you.
Halifax Nova Scotia
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We were in the area for shopping in Kittery and the Maine beaches. This place was easy to find, and we had no problem finding our way around the area. On arrival, our requests (top floor, quiet area) had all been met, and the two parcels we'd had sent on to the hotel were waiting in our room. The front desk was great, efficient and pleasant. The pool was a bit of a disappointment, as it is very small. (In the picture on the website, note that it is square, not rectangular. I couldn't tell.) But my kids could play safely while I watched from the hot tub and soothed my shopping-worn feet.

The first morning we went for breakfast late (9:30 when b'fast ended at 10), and I assumed the sparse offerings were because we were late. There are two hot chafing dishes, with usually three different items. (E.g, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns and sausage.) No option for anything fresh-made like omelettes or waffles. When we got there there were a few apples and some brown bananas, a few containers of yogurt (<6), some cold cereal and oatmeal packets, carafes of apple and orange juice, and a standard number of bread choices. Coffee, of course. While this was an adequate "complimentary" breakfast, it's not really "complimentary" any more, as there really is a common standard for these buffet breakfasts that didn't seem to be met here. (We had significantly more choices when we stayed at a Homewood just down the highway in MA a few years ago, more in FL last year, etc.) Breakfast the next morning was worse, as now we were down to apples only, the bread was getting stale, and there were fewer cereal choices (we went around 8 that day).

We only tried the dinner once. We arrived at 6:30 (dinner was 5-7). Mashed potatoes, meatloaf (patties) and corn, some greens with 3-4 veggies to choose from. The potato pan was nearly empty. The wine was empty. My husband asked the hostess to bring out another bottle of wine and was told "there isn't any more. When it's gone it's gone." She did rummage around and came back with a bottle of beer for my husband, showing some effort, but it was clear that as far as she was concerned, dinner service was over. A family was checking in and came by around 6:50 and was told there was nothing. I felt like an unwelcome freeloader, not a guest being met with hospitality and generousity. The hostess did put in some effort in trying to find that beer for my husband, and for a table of late-arriving businessmen, but I definitely felt like things were pretty close to the bone as far as having sufficient supplies on hand.

I did call the front desk on the second morning (intended to get an email address so I could submit a written complaint), and to her credit, the MOD persisted until I gave her the details of my complaint. I really, really did not want to pursue it then, as it was my son's birthday, and I was already cranky enough. I dislike complaining because I'm NOT doing it to get comped, and I refused her offer of a restaurant gift card. On check out I saw a discount had been applied to our total, which I suppose was decent follow up. Apparently they had had more guests than expected, and were indeed running out of food. If that had been explained, warmly and apologetically, by the hostesses (or even better, someone took the initiative to go to a grocery store and get some fresh fruit and bread), things would've been different. For all that, the hot food that was offered was tasty, though a pan of warm gravy wouldn't have gone astray on "meatloaf" night.

We also had an issue with housekeeping skipping our room one day. We returned after 9 pm and nothing was made up. Housekeeping said our privacy sign was out, but we removed it when we left before 11 am, when the housekeeping cart was parked in front of the next room.

Overall, the room was fine, clean and well-maintained, the two double beds very comfy, quiet, and the linens quite nice. There wasn't anything we needed that we couldn't find. The laundry was small (only 2 of each machine), but the dryer was probably the best I've used in a hotel--60 minute, HOT cycle--no damp leftover laundry here. If it hadn't been for feeling unwelcome at breakfast and dinner, I'd recommend the hotel more highly. If it were the only game in town, I'd recommend it anyway, but there are other choices and better value to be had nearby.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank noelx4
HomewoodDover, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Hello.
Thank you for taking the time to give so much information about your stay with us. Thank you for bringing it to our attention that the food area needs work. I am sorry that you were not happy with all of your stay.
I do hope you chose to stay with us again. :0)

Thank you.
Washington, D.C. suburbs
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The place was clean and it was nice, except that the main reason for me to be there was to have a comfortable place to sleep. While the bed in the bedroom may have been ok, I slept on the pull-out sofa bed. It was the most uncomfortable bed in which I have ever slept. The mattress was extremely lumpy and uncomfortable. We might have stayed there on the way back from our trip, except for this experience.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Mariah930
HomewoodDover, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Hello Not so comfortable,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey about your stay with us.
I was sorry to see that you got stuck sleeping on the pull out sofa. You must of been here with a family? Pull out sofas can be tricky, we would of been happy to help out in any way to make sure you were comfortable, extra blankets or pillows. We also have a rollaway bed which may of been better for you. I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay besdies the bed. We hope next trip you do give us another chance!
Have a great day!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hampton Inn Dover
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rochester
Three Chimneys Inn
Three Chimneys Inn
#1 of 2 in Durham

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover? Share your experiences!