“Dependable hotel with nice suites”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Dover
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were here because we were attending a Saturday night wedding in nearby South Berwick and the Dover hotels (this one and 3 others, I believe) were the closest. It met our definitely met our needs but I would have liked to pay a little less.
The suites are nice. We slept two adult couples in the bedoom and a single guy on the pullout couch and there was actually enough room for us (but still only one shower). We were not convinced the room was completely clean since we found a kids pink sock at the foot of the bed.
This hotel is very clearly focused on business travelers. There is dinner served on weeknights and they do grocery shopping for guests. There is a kitchenette in the suites. You really could be comfortable here for several night or longer.
The location is somewhat isolated in terms of walking. It is a 1 minute drive off the Spaulding Turnpike (Rt. 16) so it has great access to the White Mountains to the north and Portsmouth and Boston to the south. The C&J Trailways bus terminal is across the street so that is actually walkable. And there is a Margaritas restaurant across the parking lot, which is nice.
But other things, such as Market Basket, 99 restaurant, etc. is on the other side of the exit ramps, which you hav eto drive to.

Room Tip: suites can comfortable sleep 5 adults
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
HomewoodDoverNH, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

What a great, detailed account of your stay at Homewood Suites Dover. Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to write the review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I landed in US a week back and happened to listen to few of my collegues talk about Homewood Suites Dover of being the best you can get in Dover. I went by their advice and what I experience in the last 1 week has been nothing short of WOW. Let it be the shuttle service, the room service lady ensuring all the used vessels go into the washer, the room facilities, everything is niche. Feels at home...

Room Tip: Looke for corporate deals.. They are very economical..
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
HomewoodDoverNH, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to write about the positive experience you are having at Homewood Suites Dover. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay with us more enjoyable.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and I spent a night here as a little getaway before school started. It was, overall, a great time. The suite we stayed in was spacious, clean, and well-maintained. The pool was refreshing (we had it practically to ourselves), and the location was close to the main hub of town, which was convenient. A hot breakfast was served in the morning; our one complaint would be that it was a busy weekend, and they were severely understaffed, so food and dishes kept running out. They were polite about it, though, and made efforts to keep everyone satisfied. Overall, it was fun and we would like to go back!

Room Tip: Some suites are designed to accomodate large families, so ask for a room far from these if you don...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
HomewoodDoverNH, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

So glad to hear that you and your family had a nice, relaxing stay with us! We appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience and certainly value your feedback. We hope we have the chance to accommodate you again!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have stayed here in 2011 for 3 months and already in 3rd week in 2012, really enjoying.
Excellent hotel with too good staff. They are very supportive and co-operative. Even if, we have issues, they are quick to resolve. Hotel has many ammenities which are of great help.

Would love to come back any time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
HomewoodDoverNH, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review Homewood Suites Dover, NH. We are so happy that you are enjoying your stay with us. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

very happy with this place. accomodations were great. staff was terrific and very helpful. enjoy breakfast every morning even though they have to start early so i can get to work, very nice of them. kudos to stacey, wendi, alissa and the management here. they do a fine job and made me feel very welcome

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review and for your kind words. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to accommodating you in the future.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband has been staying at this hotel almost every other week for a year and said it was a great place to stay. He should have waited to make that decision until he stayed longer than a week! This hotel is less than stellar. We have been here for 6 1/2 weeks and I am ready to pay the extra fee to change my airline tickets and go home early. I don't know if I can stand another week and a half in this hotel. Their housekeeping is pathetic. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. If you don't leave your room early, they don't bother to come back to check to see if you've left so they can clean your room. Then when you tell the manager (Scott) about it, he blows smoke up your butt telling you that his housekeeping manager will personally check your room every day to see if it got service when desired. But that doesn't happen. Then when they do come in, they only leave 3 towels (because that's their policy) but we have a family of 4! I had told them over and over we needed 4 towels, we kept getting 3. The rooms are all suites - kitchenette w/dishwasher. Housekeeping hardly ever RUNS the dishwasher, even if I load it. And God forbid emptying it. We've been here for 6 1/2 weeks and they have emptied it ONCE! Sometimes they just re-run it when it is clean. Seems to be the only time they actually run it. Then they don't always leave soap for us to run it ourselves. Do you want a CLEAN kitchen towel and washcloth? Buy your own. Paper towels and TP run out. You might want to get that too. You might not get refilled. Since we are here for 8 weeks, the kids and I don't always leave all day long. This means we eat more than one meal a day in our room. Don't bother to try to keep some extra silverware or dishes in your room. When housekeeping does come in your room, they will make sure they do TAKE everything except a serving for 4. Funny... they can't leave 4 bath towels but they can make sure you ONLY get 4 spoons, forks, and knives!!! This means if you eat breakfast, you have to wash your dishes if you want clean ones for lunch. Then you have to wash them again if you want clean ones for dinner. Now let's talk room charges... sometimes they let my kids room charge in the little store, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they let my kids use my credit card in the little store, sometimes they don't. Tonight they wouldn't even let ME room charge! I have been here for 6 1/2 weeks and I have JUST NOW been told that the card on file is NOT for incidentals!!! Geez... why has it been over the past 6 1/2 weeks???!!! It's clean. I will give it that. Except for the floor in the laundry room. Don't go there without shoes on. And they don't vacuum much in the rooms or the lobby. The beds are okay. They have great channel selections on the TV. The TVs are nice. But the internet connection is slow and spotty and frustrating after 6 1/2 weeks. There are only 2 washers and 2 dryers for the entire hotel (4 floors) so if you have to do laundry, be prepared to juggle time in the laundry room. But if you are going to stay for a long time, find a different hotel. This one might frustrate the heck out of you. I am very displeased right now.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
HomewoodDoverNH, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

I apologize that you have not fully enjoyed your stay with us. I will have the Housekeeping Supervisor clean your room personally on a daily basis going forward so there is no inconsistancies. We have enjoyed having you all here and hope you will enjoye the rest of your stay.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Nice bright clean modern suites style hotel. Just off the freeway and easy to find, with a Mexican restaurant just across the car park. However....

...it's very understaffed. We (four) arrived last Thursday night tired and hungry after a long tiring circuitous drive (college visits) from CT, to find no one at the reception desk. They had a pre-printed sign (see photo) saying the desk clerk was away helping someone. We waited and waited...15 mins went by..still no one. Even the courtesy van driver pacing around seemed exasperated.Then two people arrived at the desk at the same time without any apology. Poor start.

Breakfast the following morning was the typical Homewood fare, pretty OK (except for the rock hard stale scrambled eggs), but they had only one person trying to manage the whole lot and every time a few people arrived at the buffet, she kept running out of stuff..bread, coffee, cutlery etc..Not her fault..she worked hard and was very nice..just not enough staff. We stayed there 3 nights..same deal every morning for breakfast. Irritatingly hit or miss on what each of us managed to get at each visit to "the lodge" and we sort of gave up on it.

On Sunday morning when we went to check out, the infamous well worn sign was back perched on the reception desk again. After waiting a few minutes, I actually had time to leisurely go to the car, find the camera, come back and take a photograph of it. We then had to get one of the staff to go and find someone to check us out. I realize these types of hotels are not full service and run on minimal staff numbers, but being a loyal HH member, this is cutting it too fine for me.
Regards,

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

I apologize for any delays that this caused and thank you for brining this to my attention. I will look into why the desk agent was not present on the days that you mentioned and hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hampton Inn Dover
Comfort Inn & Suites Dover
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth
Holiday Inn Express Durham

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Dover? Share your experiences!