“A treasure of a destination”

Robert Frost Farm State Historic Site
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Derry
More attraction details
Owner description: Farm where Frost lived, raised his children and wrote.
Stratham, New Hampshire
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“A treasure of a destination”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was looking for something interesting and potentially photogenic over the Labor Day weekend. Wow, did I score big. The easy to find Robert Frost Farm State Historic Site in Derry, NH is a wonderful destination. Although self-guided tours of the property are available, you definitely want to take the guided tour of the Frost home. Lasting about 50 minutes, the tour gives you an incredible insight into this fascinating and gifted, as well as points out key locations serving as the basis for many of the poet's greatest works. There is an 18-minute video featuring Frost's daughter Deborah and that is well worth it, as well. Definitely worth a visit. And if you're not a Robert Frost fan when you arrive you sure will be by the time you leave.

Visited August 2013
5 Thank blondventures

Manchester, New Hampshire
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Adversity encourages creativity...”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Shared this little gem on a rainy Friday afternoon with friends visiting NH from NY for the first time. We watched the video and took the tour with the young guide who knew almost too much about Frost. But since we are old enough to recognize some of the items in the house from our own grandparents homes when we were kids it was a bit more meaningful for us. This was my third time taking the tour over the years and I will continue to bring friends to experience this important little bit of "Americana".

Visited August 2013
2 Thank cherribrew
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Incredible look into Robert Frost's family life and poetry”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This quiet spot is a perfect setting to relax and learn about the life and poetry of one of our most well known poets who wrote a number of his poems while living here for over ten years. The park guards are very knowledgable about his life and there is a 45 minute tour that is very worthwhile. See the short video first, then,Take the tour. There are also walking paths on the property. Even if you are not really knowledgable about his poems, it is still a great tour.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Artist5320
Porter, Indiana
140 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“nice little walk”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am not a Robert frost fan, but I was curious to explore this nature trail and see what I could learn. I didn't realize it wasn't open until we were right down the road, we didn't get to see inside the house, and I couldn't understand what any of the markers meant as no descriptions or map to look at. I don't read poetry so I was not able to put together what I was looking at with any meaning.

Visited June 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Interesting But Tour Not What I Expected”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have a personal pilgramage to visit as many sites of American authors as I can.
So when I got the chance to see the Robert Frost Farm in Derry, NH. I jumped at the chance!

The farm is very pretty, especially in late May, and you are able to take a nice walk along the trail.
You enter in what used to be the barn and there you can watch a video about Robert Frost and his daughter who helped put the buildings back into their original state, and look at displays there. This is all free. You only have to pay if you want to tour the home.
There are some original family possesions in the house, but because the Frosts sold much of their original farm house possesions to go to England, much of the decor was bought from other sources to replicate what used to be there.

Our tour guide was a very nice young man who I think was a college student. He was very knowledgeble about Robert Frost and his family. Maybe too knowledgeble.

In each room of the house he spent 15 to 20 minutes telling us stories about the Frost family.
About 10 minutes too much. After about 3 rooms and 45 minutes, I told my husband, "Let's go" and we eased ourselves out of the tour. It was getting way too long and you begin to lose interest.

As I said, he was very nice, but I have been on many author sites tours before and they were much more organized and precise. This was dragged out and it was disappointing to see so much replicas and not many original pieces.

Visited May 2013