“Decent camp ground, packed in like cord wood”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Conway
Eastern Slope Camping Area
Ranked #6 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Conway
New Hampshire
“Decent camp ground, packed in like cord wood”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the Easter Slope Camp Ground. We love the North Conway area. Great shopping, eating, recreation places close to the location.

The Camp ground is kept clean and the staff were nice. Loved the two beaches on the Saco River. Especially liked how they designate one beach down stream as a dog beach. This worked well with our Lab. He had a great time too.

We didn't like how packed in the sites were. We stayed up by the pool. Would not stay there again. Could hear the campers on each side of us talking inside their units. This actually is the main reason for the average score. But even the sites down below were not that spacious unless you were able to get a river front site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nhmarine

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sharon, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed at this campground twice now and highly recommend it! My boyfriend and I get the standard site with water and electricity at the $35/night rate. If you are staying as a couple and without kids like us, I would definitely recommend staying on the outskirts of the campground--less kids running around/noise. It's a bit further walk to the store, but bathrooms are all centrally located.

What I really love about Eastern Slope are the kayak rentals. A shuttle from the campground loads your kayaks and drives you up the Saco to a dropoff point and then you just load your kayaks in the river and off you go! You can spend the entire day leisurely going down the river, beach somewhere for lunch (we pack a huge cooler), and then eventually you are right back on the beach at Eastern Slope. Just have to pull your kayaks up off the beach and you are all set!

I've read some complaints on here about the cleanliness of the bathrooms, etc. I don't know what people expect, but this is a campground, and during the busy season I imagine it is difficult to keep up with. I always found the showers to be clean enough... bathrooms get gross towards the end of a weekend, but what do you expect with tons of little kids coming in and out.

Can't speak towards the RV sites or cabins, but if you are just camping with a tent, this campground is solid.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank voxine
BOSTON, MA, USA
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were looking to camp somewhere in the Conway area after Columbus Day. This is one of the few places that is open through October. We reserved a prime river front site. The site was really big and we had a canopy and water/electric. It doesn't really have a view of the water but you can easily walk to the beach. It was a bit expensive at $46/night but that seemed to be the going rate for that area.

Whenever we needed assistance, the staff was generally helpful and friendly.

The bathrooms, as others observed, were not cleaned often. The sinks were dirty and trash was not emptied for a few days. On the plus side, they did have soap and paper towels and the showers provided plenty of hot water. For those who are crazy like us and camp in the cold weather, be advised the bathrooms are not heated. Finally, I liked the privacy of having my own stall complete a shower.

Our biggest concern was the overflowing dumpsters which attracted bears to the campground. It was impossible to find a place to put our trash one night. The staff did chase the bear(s) away and eventually compacted the trash in the dumpsters. I would recommend just emptying the dumpsters more often.

I would definitely return. You just can't beat the location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank 2007sonata
charlottetown
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We rented one of the cabins...it was comfortable and the location was very convenient, but the cabin itself had not been cleaned very well. I am not sure if it was because it was the off-season and the owners were busy getting things ready for the winter or something, but the whole campground was unkept. We wanted a place with a mini fridge and microwave, and it was affordable, so I would probably go back, but wouldn't be quick to recomment it to others. We;re not picky. The owners were friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank airstreamerreddirt

Travelers are raving about these Conway hotels

FLORIDA
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent 2 nights here at this campground. We were lucky enough to have a spot down by the river and the campsite wasnt crowded when we were there so we were pretty much all alone on the 'beach'. The rest of the site was filed with RV's. The bathrooms on the riverside werent that great, but they had ok facilities in the middle. Having camped a lot around europe, this wasnt bad for us. However it isnt 5 stars. The people that run the place were very friendly and helpful with things to do around the area. Since it was raining we put our tent under the shelter to ensure that we didnt have any water problems so that was a nice extra :) It was a bit expensive though, esp for the 'river sites' (it was 45$), and if we would have looked around more we would have camped in the National Forest, but if you are looking for a sure steady ground, this is it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This campground is very picturesque and has some very nice campsites along the river. Unfortunately, the owner does not seem to grasp the concept of customer service.

I made a reservation to stay at this campground during the Columbus day weekend with my family. Upon making the reservation I requested permission for a late arrival (after 10pm) knowing full well that this campground does not generally allow late check-ins. The person with whom I spoke on the phone was very understanding of the fact that we were driving in from from far and that we would most probably be arriving around 11pm. I made a deal with him that I would just back-in to my spot and not even unpin my vehicle so as to not make any noise. Once we both agreed I was told to call back on the day of arrival just to make sure that our gate card would be left at the office door (since the office would be closed).

Fast forward to the day of arrival. I called the campground upon departure from my house to confirm everything as agreed upon. The lady who answered the phone told me that there are no late arrivals and that was that. I told her about the agreement that I had made with the gentleman who took my reservation upon where she passed the phone to someone else. I was immediately told by this genteleman who was now taking my call that I would just have to check in the next morning. I reminded him of the agreement that I had with the gentleman who took my reservation. It was around this point in time that his attitude became aggressive. He started arguing with me about the fact that I left too late from my location and that I would not be arriving before 1 or 2am. He repeated this countless times and would not acknowledge the agreement that I had with the campground. At this point I found out that I was speaking to the owner who did nothing to try to accept resposability for an error by one of his employees.

I can understand the strict no late check-in rule, I can even appreciate it. But there are more professional ways to treat a customer. I am a very calm and rational person but the tone of voice and the ridiculous statements he was making (claiming that it takes at least 6 hours to drive from Montreal to New Hampshire).

In a nutshell, as a customer, I made a request for an exception to the late check-in policy during my reservation. My request was granted by an employee of this campground. The owner decided to nullify the agreement that I had with his employee. Maybe if he spent less time arguing with customers and instead spent more time making sure that his employee's fully understand his rules, this would not have happened.

I don't plan on giving him any more of my money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Agis G
Cape Cod, MA
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have a seasonal site at Eastern Slope and continue to enjoy it more each year. Things continue to improve and there are more activities for families than ever. One of our favorite features is the two beaches that are along the river. We love to start at one beach and float on a tube to the other-this takes about 20-30 minutes depending on the water level and river current-the rope swing is also a blast!

The location is great since you are close to shopping, hiking and great local yard sales. Walking over to Leavitt's Bakery for breakfast is a must!.

The owners have continually put more money into the campground to improve the overall experience. It just keeps getting better! We see the work being done and the improvements with each visit. Different people may be looking for different experiences. If you are looking for concrete slabs that are perfectly level and indoor pools this isn't your place. If you are looking for a great experience by the river with a campfire I am sure you will like it here. We have made some friends and look forward to coming back whenever we get a chance. The owners and their team have been very accomodating and work hard to give a memorable experience. When we decided to get a seasonal site I was concerned that we would get bored going to the same place but that has not been the case.

Looking forward to heading there this weekend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JDRCapeCod
EasternSlope, Owner at Eastern Slope Camping Area, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely review! We are so happy that all our efforts to constantly improve have been noticed and we are very happy that you and your family are creating memories to last a lifetime here at ESCA!