“Wish the hiking trails had signs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 57 things to do in Conway
York, Maine
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 174 helpful votes
“Wish the hiking trails had signs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We visited Echo Lake just to do a walking trail and planned on hiking to Cathedral Ledge. We entered the parking lot and I was sort of surprised to see we had to pay per person to park instead of per car. It was $8 for two adults and our 18 month old was free. From the parking area to the trail is a very short distance. There are also clean bathrooms and changing areas. We did a quick 1 mile loop around the lake and I kept looking for signs to Cathedral Ledge or White Horse Ledge. I saw none, just saw the yellow marks on the trees to indicate we were on a state maintained trail. We finished up and I went back to the parking attendant and asked her about the trails and how to find them. She seemed confused and said “there should be signs….?” And when I asked where I could find them she told me, “I’ve actually never done the trails, but let me get a map.” So then I had a decent map of where the trails were, but by that time our son was asleep in the backpack and we were frustrated. So I wish there had been signs. If you go, get a map. But Echo Lake is a nice family recreational area. I didn’t realize it was there. Nice beach area to swim at, charcoal grills available to cook on. Very clean, very pretty, nice views. We’ll probably return on our next trip and take a shot at hiking to the top of Cathedral Ledge with the map we were given, or maybe spend a few hours swimming and playing on the beach with the kids.

2 Thank Shelbs97

Revere, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

A large group of us went to North Conway for the weekend and spent a full day at Echo Lake.
Absolutely beautiful lake. The kids enjoyed themselves as well as the adults. Highly recommended if you are visting the White Mountains/North Conway area.

1 Thank rrw1759
Dover, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Lovely day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent the day at Echo Lake State Park this Friday. We wanted to do a hike and then a swim. We clearly went the wrong way and ended up doing the lake hike twice. The girls at the check in hut pointed us towards the trail head which was not actually where it was. I wish they could have provided more clear instructions but o well. We hiked Bryant's Peak but got about 3/4 of the way up (or at least we think) and we couldnt go any further due to the steep grade and the massive amount of mosquitos. It would be an understatement to say that I was bit 50 times. It was my own fault for not wearing pants or bug spray but I have never been swarmed like that. I went to the check in area after we hiked down and asked to see the first aid kit to check for something to cool my bites. They didnt have anything but the girls at the check in had some bug spray. Again, my own fault but it should be noted that you really need to cover up and spray at this location. We then went to the lake away from the children in the designated swimming area and spent some time in the water. It was clear and nice. It really cooled down my bites and I think it saved me alot of itching later. We saw a huge turtle swimming in the lake. Also, another couple did some open water swimming which this lake is perfect for. All in all, other than the bites, it was a lovely day and we will return again.

Conway, New Hampshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice picnic area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had a nice picnic here then a short hike around Echo Lake. The view of the White Horse Ledge is awesome and the beach makes a nice playground for the kids. There is a parking fee, but after Labor Day you can use it for free.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Hiker286
rhode island
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Perfect family spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great swimming area for families. Water was nice and slope is gradual so perfect for little ones. It is now my favorite day spot in the area.

Visited July 2013