“Very Nice Stay”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Concord
massachusetts
“Very Nice Stay”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

The Centennial is a very nice hotel. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we were very pleased. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The bathroom was extraordinary for a hotel in this price range. It was large, with a raised sink and a beautiful glass enclosed shower. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, although their menu was terrific and it looked very nice. We would definitely stay here again.

The only negative, if you can call it a negative, was the front desk staff was average at best. Again, not a bad experience, but not the greeting you get at many hotels. They were efficient and we had no issues at all, however, a tad more friendly would have been nice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New Hampshire
Reviewed June 14, 2009

My wife and I had an unexpected opportunity to get away for an evening (and sleep in), so we found and booked a room at the Centennial Inn for a very reasonable rate. We had previously dined at Granite, the fantastic restaurant that is located in the Centennial, and that made our selection much easier. This is one of the finest boutique hotels we have experienced, at any price in any location. Our room was very comfortable, and the things we really care about (bed, linens, bathroom, towels, etc. - who really cares about the drapes?) were first rate. Our room was huge, and well equipped for both business and leisure travel, with a ceiling fan that was exceptionally quiet. The bathroom was well appointed in a funky, post-modern style with tumbled marble tile, a granite vanity top and free-standing basin sink with a slick faucet mechanism. There was a nifty cutout in the glass shower enclosure for the shower controls so you could turn on the water without getting splashed. Our room was located near the top of the stairs from the hotel lobby and restaurant, and we were initially concerned that it might be noisy, but found that it was extremely quiet. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area for business or pleasure, particularly if innovative New American dining is on the priority list - Granite is easily one of the best restaurants in New Hampshire, and a great reason to choose the Centennial Inn. The location is convenient, and close to downtown, but far enough off Main Street that it's quieter than some of the chain hotel options in the area.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MadSkiers
Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during July 2007......the rate then was $109 for an attractive, clean, spacious, comfortable, modern room in a renovated old building. We were very pleased. We didn't dine in the restaurant and wished we had.
The staff really tried hard to please.
But that was then. The room price jumped to $139 when I considered a return last summer and, unfortunately, it looks to have significantly increased again for this year, thus ensuring that we won't be able to afford to return. However, I would return if the price was somewhat lower.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I was surprised to read the recent reviews where people have had some unfortunate experiences. That certainly did not apply to us. Although we were concerned as we approached the hotel by its rather dowdy exterior, we found inside was well appointed and attractive. The room was large and well-equipped and the staff were polite and helpful. For our one night stay, it was more than adequate.

• Liked — A well appointed, large and attractively decorated room
  • Disliked — The dowdy exterior
  • Stayed October 2008
New York
Reviewed November 4, 2008

In choosing where to stay in Concord, I decided to pay the extra bit for this place which seemed to be quite popular amongst reviewers. I had high hopes to indulge myself and my traveling companion in a bit of luxury during our trip. Upon arriving, all seemed well. The place is clean, rather modern (too bad since the old architecture could have added character) and the night desk person was friendly.

In the room, all was tidy and a robe was laid out on the bed with a plate of cookies as a welcoming hello. The bathroom was clean and modern but the water pressure was terrible! It was the most difficult showering I've ever taken as the water practically trickled out. The shower head had various options including a pulsing massage, but forget that. I was lucky to get the soap off.

While the bed is pretty comfy, the pillows were not for me. For those who love firm and high pillows, you'll love them. Neither me nor my companion slept well because the pillows were too uncomfortable. I tried not using the pillows at all, but something just wasn't right, and I slept poorly. The next morning I asked if they had any other types of pillows but not surprisingly, it was a no. Well, I've been to some places who have two types of pillows, one thinner, one thicker on the bed so I had to try and ask.

Anyhow, we had breakfast in the restaurant which was decent but a smidge overpriced for what we got. The waitress was nice but the kitchen is slow. We ended up being late for our scheduled morning event.

The next night, my impression of the place plummeted. Returning after a long day, we found that the cleaning service never arrived to do their job in our room. We didn't request to be skipped either. According to the front desk, they have issues with their cleaning folks. Great. I shouldn't have been surprised as I found a very dead bug (as in long dead) on one of the pillows I didn't use. Yuck!! I also came to realize that they never bothered to replace the burned out bulb on one of the two lamps on the desk. I thought they'd just turned on one lamp when I'd arrived the previous night. No, they just can't be bothered to do their job. The front desk did apologize about the cleaning staff and gave me a $10 credit.

Despite all this, I still give them 4 stars because they're not bad. There's worse out there. It's just that my impression is that they try to be more than they are so don't judge a book by its cover. I was tricked by the nice photos and the rave reviews but this place is lacking in the basics of the fine hotel that they claim to be except at budget prices. You get what you pay for, except I feel I overpaid. What a let down. I say look but don't touch.

• Liked — Convenient location, quiet
  • Disliked — Cleaning service, price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank domotofu
NH
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend along with a few other groups for a wedding in the area. Location is very nice, easy walk to downtown, etc.
The roomitself was nice. The bed was very comfortable, room was clean, bathroom was a good size and was also clean.

My main issue with this place is the rudeness of the staff. Everyone we encountered..from the person I called to make a reservation, the person we checked in with, the "host" at the restaurant/bar...terrible. I'm really not a picky traveler, but I do expect at least someone pleasant when checking in at a hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lauren1214
New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2008

My room: Here was the problem and why they are getting bad review - When I made my reservation I specifically asked for a room with two double beds - I was traveling with my husband and my infant daughter - so I needed both beds - but when I got there I was given a room with a queen bed and a fold out sofa - when I called to complain I was told that the hotel had no way of getting in touch with me which apparently was a lie because they could send me a survey email from their reservations desk after my stay
- If I had known that I was going to get a room with one queen bed I would have never, ever made the reservation with them - so I think that instead of making their customers happy that they needed the reservation...

But I digress - when we figured out that we were not going to get another room we called down to at least have some bedding brought up for the pull out couch and proceeded to head out for dinner - when we returned there was no bedding - so my husband had to go down and physically had to bring up the bedding and it was bedding that didn't fit the pull out couch

The next morning I called down to the front desk to see if I could possibly get another room and was rudely told that they were full

The next morning my husband went downstairs and was able to get a different room for us - to which we were happily moved - but the next morning it was freezing cold in the room and we figured out that the window was stuck open and the toilet clogged up so we had to call maintenance

And the final blow was that we ran out of toilet paper

• Liked — the Food Was OK
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank laineeb