“Good deal for price” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good deal for price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Glad we stayed here, despite a few issues.
Pros: paid 55 bucks (65 with taxes) for staying here through an Express Deal on that "william shatner" site. This Best Western provided discount lift tickets to Pats Peak, a ski resort only 30 minutes away. We actually switched from traveling to Ragged Mountain to go to Pats Peak because it was closer. Breakfast was ok, the usual muffins, cereal, and waffle machine. The breakfast staff woman was very nice and let us use a meeting room to eat breakfast because the main breakfast area was packed and there were no seats. Also, at night we needed plates for our pizza and front desk gave us some. Good people.

Rooms have a fridge, microwave, and sink. Really great! Room was clean and pleasantly decorated. Modern.

Cons: It was February and the heater in our room was broken. Very cold! Repairman could not fix it so they moved us to another room a few doors down. The new room had make-up type mascara smears on the sheets. Weird.
Overall, I'd stay here again.

1 Thank DiscoveryRun
BWConcordNH, Manager at BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
DiscoveryRun,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the issues you had and hope you will stay again.

Leon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Centreville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I spent two nights at this hotel this past weekend, I was impressed. The rooms were clean and recently updated. I read the other reviews about the non-insulation making the rooms loud, and that is the case. But it's ok. Nothing major to worry about. The beds were comfy, towels were a little rough but for $84/night there is not much room to complain. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was good too.

1 Thank Mike H
BWConcordNH, Manager at BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Mike,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad you were impressed with your stay. We have put a lot of work into updating this property over the past few years: new mattresses, furniture, wallpaper and decor, tile in the lobby, granite counters in all of our guestrooms. It is a process, too much to do all at once, and we have plans to do even more.

Hope to see you again!

Leon, AGM
Georgetown, ME
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I'll start with the good. I booked this hotel on a "bargain site" that keeps the identity of the property hidden until you've paid. It was very inexpensive. Downright cheap, in fact. The room was very clean and modern. I had no idea I'd be getting a microwave, wet bar, mini fridge and coffee maker. Very nice. The free breakfast was pretty much standard fare, and I appreciated not having to go out for it. The big surprise with this place is how incredibly noisy it is. There just isn't enough sound deadening materials in the walls. I could hear everything going on next door, and the sound of closing doors went on well into the night. The whole racket started up again around 4:00 am, so I'd count on precious little sleep if staying here. Next time I'll pack some earplugs. One last comment.... This place has a pool, and the pool chemical smell pretty much permeates the place. It wouldn't prevent me from staying here again, but I find it kind of icky.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank MainelyDad
MainleyDad,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry to hear you had a poor night's sleep.

New Bedford, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Room and staff were very nice. If the person in the room up stairs walked across the room the ceiling in our room would make terrible sounds. The staff was friendly and gave us directions and opinions on nearby places to eat. The pool was great for the kids. If it hadn't been for the noise traveling through our room all night I would highly recommend this place.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Eric L
Thank you for sharing your experience and the positive remarks about our staff, they work really hard to make each guest's stay as pleasant as possible. I am sorry to hear that your sleep was less than satisfactory during your stay. We are aware that the hotel can be noisier than usual when the hotel is full, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Leon, AGM
Cold Spring Harbor, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

The pluses:

The room was nicely appointed and clean. It had a refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and wetbar. The price of $89 which included breakfast was excellent. Breakfast had a nice wafflemaker, warm eggs, sausauges, instant oatmeals, fruits, and carbs galore. Really a nice spread for no restaurant on site. No bugs except for ants in the pool area. The pool was a very nice addition, especially if you get snowed in and have children to entertain. Very close and convenient to downtown Concord and civilization. Lots of fast food chains and a pharmacy chain store right near by so you don't feel like you are in a desolate area, like other areas in NH.

The negatives:
Front desk staff in daytime was not friendly, bordering on unapproachable. I don't think the man knew how to smile or if he did, it might crack his face. Didn't give you a warm or fuzzy feeling at all, or even a welcoming one.

The hallway and particularly the computer room off the lobby had a disgusting chemical smell about the carpet...perhaps it was newly installed? It was overwhelming in that one area.

The breakfast tea water was not hot enough to make a proper cup of tea during the weekdays and therefore, probably would not cook the instant oatmeal they had.

On our first day there, we were napping from a long drive, when someone tried to burst into our room. Thank Goodness the safety bar lock was on. It was quite scary. It turned out to be a maintenance man and after repeating himself several times, I was able to understand, through his heavy accent, that he was there about the temperature of the refrigerator. The refrigerator was working fine and we had not reported it otherwise, so I let him know we had no problems. It turns out that after a day or two the refrigerator started freezing the foods and drinks placed in it. If the hotel knew this was a problem, why didn't they give us another room or have it fixed before check-in? That was upsetting.

The other major concern I had was about the automatic doors opening right into traffic. I guess it saves them money on snow removal off a sidewalk. And we were snowed in for a day and a half and saw how fast the plow sped through that driveway. I would not stay here if you have an active toddler who runs fast, like we do.

Other minor complaints:

Ants in the pool area. Gross. I guess they found a way to escape the -5 degree weather in a nice, warm, humid area. Who would have thought ants in January in New Hampshire?

No restaurant on site. During a huge snowstorm, many local places won't deliver, so be prepared or be stuck.

Smell of waste treatment facility outside.

No grassy areas or any areas other than parking lot to walk your dog, if you bring one...and it is a concrete yard and closed up with fencing on three sides.

I did have to strip the bed (daughter spilled water on it) and was disgusted to find a stained mattress pad and they didn't have any to replace it with, so I covered it with a sheet. The front desk girl didn't tell me they didn't have anyone to bring clean linens, so I went to the main desk in my pajamas after waiting 20 minutes. Also, it was a non-smoking room, but one of the blankets had a cigarette burn in it. Gross again.

The heat made the air in the room EXTREMELY DRY that we woke with sore throats. We had to open the window to add humidity, something I wouldn't think of doing in NH in January, but I understand now why it is necessary.

All in all, I can't complain about the price and what it got us, but I wasn't particularly thrilled with all the negatives.

I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor. I could hear the mild cries of a newborn upstairs but it didn't d...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Elenicat
BWConcordNH, Manager at BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Elenicat,

I am pretty sure I know when you were here by the description of the smell in the business center. We had just built the stations in business center and replaced the counter tops at the front desk and in the breakfast room, and the epoxy they used to attach the granite had an intense chemical smell to it. This left me with an intense headache and I am pretty sure I was the unapproachable person you described at the counter. I apologize for giving you that impression.

You brought up a number of things that will be address at our next staff meeting, and I thank you for bringing them to my attention. Can't fix it if we don't know it is broken, right? Many of these issues can be addresses or handled better. A few are out of our control. For example, there is a pet friendly park adjacent to the property that guests can take their pets, but at this time of year there is more than a foot of snow in it and the snowbanks at the entrances make it inaccessible.

I do thank you for your feedback though, it lets us know where we can do better.

Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in a standard room whcih was nice and large. Everything worked as it should, the staff were friendly and helpful, plenty of on-site parking, free internet worked OK, breakfast was the standard slection of some hot / some cold, not excellent but adequate. Nothing close by, you have drive to find somewhere to eat, but it is not too far to downtown, whch is very attractive small American town, worth a visit.
Only negative for us was a very strong smel of smoke in the corridor outside our room which stayed for the 4 days we were there.
Overall good and we would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank woggsy
Dear Woggsy,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the area. You would be amazed to know there are at least forty restaurants within five miles of us. Unfortunately, the closest is about a half mile away, which is further than most guests are willing to walk unless we have nice weather. There is a great little deli about a quarter mile from us, but they are only open for breakfast and lunch and are closed on the weekends.

I apologize for the smoke smell in the hallway. We only have a few smoking rooms left, and we do our best to contain the smell. Unfortunately, the odor does seep into the hallway each time one of their doors open. If you visit us again please request a room on our second floor, which is completely non-smoking and pet free.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Moo913
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I am really conflicted about this hotel...

The good:
I was surprised at how nice this hotel was for a Best Western. The lobby was well appointed and the rooms were spacious, with a very comfortable bed and higher quality linens than you usually get at a budget hotel. The front desk staff was kind and courteous. It was nice that the king suite I had feature a mini-fridge, microwave, and wet bar sink. There was a large, nice TV in the room.

The bad:
I was on the second floor and had no problems with noise until midnight when someone checked in to the room above me on the third floor. It sounded like the person was stomping around on loose boards IN MY ROOM. When they flushed their toilet, it sounded like a jet engine in my own room. I was amazed because the flooring in my room seemed solid and I never heard anything from the floor below. If you stay here and need to get good sleep, I would recommend staying on the 1st floor or the 3rd floor... definitely not the second. In addition... the hallways and elevator smelled like stale old carpet (kind of to be expected), and the sink was dirty in my room when I checked in (the person who had stayed there before seemed to have had tomato pasta...). I didn't complain about any of these things with hotel staff because I was only there for one night.

In all, the hotel was fine, especially for the price, but I would not stay here again - I would pay a little extra to stay at a nicer nearby hotel with better construction.

Room Tip: 1st or 3rd floor - the 2nd floor has noise problems because of a thin ceiling.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Moo913
Dear Moo913,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than pleasant. As the building has aged we have starting to receive complaints about overhead noise from the rooms above. I can cite several reasons for the causes, but in the end it doesn't change the fact that we aren't new anymore. We are looking to resolve the issue, but it will take a major overhaul.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you will give us another try in the future.

Leon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Comfort Inn Concord
#4 of 8 in Concord
Courtyard Concord
Courtyard Concord
#5 of 8 in Concord

Been to BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!