“Big Group on a Big Day - Food and Service - EXCELLENT!”
Review of The Common Man

The Common Man
Ranked #3 of 159 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Common Man restaurant in Concord, N.H., located in New Hampshire's capital city, offers a variety of options to our guests - from our comfortable expanded lounge, Doc's Primary Pub, and deck areas, to our cozy dining room with crackling fireplaces, and private event rooms for functions. Choose from classic comfort cuisine such as Three Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese, Country Meatloaf or our famous Roast Prime Rib.
Concord, New Hampshire
“Big Group on a Big Day - Food and Service - EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We ate at the Common Man - Concord on Mother's Day this year. We had a party of 13 with kids and the meal and service was excellent. Everyone's order was cooked to perfection, the appetizers were timed well with the arrival of the main meal and the service for such a large party was great. This was not a quick meal for all of us and they never rushed us out or made us feel that we needed to hurry as others were waiting for the table. We arrived at 11 am and left at 1:30. They were very accommodating and friendly. So much so that we plan to make this a yearly tradition.

• Korean first
Ayer, Massachusetts
“Excellent overall”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had tried to visit a different area restaurant, but it was closed. We had been to other Common Man restaurants (a small local chain), but not this one. Based on our prior experiences we had nothing but high hopes for the Concord store.

We weren't disappointed. I had a ginger mojito which was just superb, and my wife had a cherry flavored drink - I forget the name but it was just the right combination of sweet and tart. My Uncommon salad consisted of field greens, Gorgonzola, and candied hazelnuts with a very light champagne vinaigrette, and was perfect. My wife's baked onion soup was excellent. Premises-made chiabata and quickbreads were brought to the table warm, with butter. Crackers are available with two spreads - both delicious.

My wife chose the turkey dinner and was delighted from the first bite of real mashed potatoes and real gravy. It was almost like her Mom was cooking for her again. My prime rib (with horseradish butter) had one section that was a little tough, but the rest was just fine, with a baked potato and vegetable mix that was nicely flavored with a touch of garlic. Often restaurant vegetables aren't at all seasoned.

We didn't stop there. I overindulged with Toll House Cookie Pie which was decadent with chocolate and nuts, served with hot fudge, whipped cream, and their own vanilla ice cream. My wife chose the creme brulee, which was declared second only to a dessert we had once in Florida and have been unable to beat. The creme brulee at the Common Man came in second only because it wasn't flavored with tiny bits of orange zest.

Chris the waiter was attentive without being overbearing, and two managers came to check on how we were doing.

Newcastle, UK
“Friendly lively restaurant / pub combination with good food and beer”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I visited the Common Man on the edge of Corcord during a business trip. It was really busy, even on Sunday evening, packed full of locals. There was an extremely friendly and accommodating welcome, despite our lack of booking. We sat upstairs in the comfortable bar lounge - comfy leather sofas and chairs - and had a fine ale whilst we waited. The main restaurant was open plan saloon-style, with a very good atmosphere.

The table was ready very quickly, and the starters good (lobster doughnuts) and excellent (shrimps in parma ham). We both had Portsmouth Pie, a tasty seafood dish, accompanied by well-cooked seasonal vegetables. Washed down by a bottle of Malbec, the evenig was a good one, and I'd be happy to return.

“Yum”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We are from the West coast and this was our first experience w/this restaurant. It is very cute inside with lit oil lamps at everyone's table with beautiful country background feel. Our waitress and the manager were nice. We were informed at the beginning of the meal a med-well steak is cut in 1/2 to ensure it was cooked properly; even though that is policy my steak was well done. The manager corrected this error by waving the charge for my food. The sauce on the steak was excellent. The "mini" desserts are bigger than what I have experienced in the past, so be careful when ordering. At the end of the meal the server provides the table w/ some crumbled white chocolate, which was delicious; only issue w/ the chocolate is that it is served on ONE napkin for everyone to dig into. Only other error was I had to request my ice tea refills. If I found this restaurant on the West coast I would return.

Acton, MA
“Reconsidering This Restaurant as One of My Favorites”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have always liked the Common Man restaurant in Concord, NH. However, the last two times I was there, I was not impressed with the entrees. Once I had the pork schnitzel that seemed to be more bread than pork, and last week the scallops I had were tasteless. I love their bread, their free cheese and crackers, and the white chocolate that is served at the end of the meal. However, the tables are very close together and do not feel private. I also don’t like the way the wait staff stacks all the plates, sometimes on the table in front of you. When I was there last week, the manager cleared a bunch of plates off a table, and then set them down on the same side table as the water pitchers and the chocolate basket, while she seated some people. The plates were there for ten minutes before someone else took them away. I just don’t like that.

• Visited May 2013

Been to The Common Man? Share your experiences!