“Informative and Interesting”
Review of Pierce Manse

Pierce Manse
Ranked #7 of 41 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Owner description: Greek Revival home once owned by former President Franklin Pierce.
Reviewed June 22, 2014

As we make it a point to visit presidential homes on our travels, we stopped by this site. Although Pierce did live in this home for a period of time, there appeared to be minimal contents or articles of major historical significance. However, our guide, Gary, was able to provide much information on Pierce's life and his impact on the nation. Congratulations to the dedicated people of Concord who saved this site from destruction. Very glad we took the time to visit.

1  Thank WestSideGal

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

As political and history buffs, we knew we wanted to see the Pierce Manse when traveling throughout New England. What we experienced, was both entertaining and educational. Kat, our enthusiastic and energetic tour guide, made the tour. Learning how the Pierce Brigade saved the house and hearing what you don't learn in a history book made the stop well worth it. More so, the Pierce Brigade, the volunteer corps that keeps the spirit of President Pierce alive, made a special arrangement for us to see the home outside of their normal operating hours. Thanks Brigade for a wonderful experience.

3  Thank Cindy P
Reviewed July 25, 2013

When it was about to be destroyed, this home saved by a group passionate about local history and moved to its present site. Members of this group still volunteer there, and their love of local history and passion for restoring the good name of Franklin Pierce is evident. It was a joy to visit this home and chat with the folks who run the place.

1  Thank SteveSmithUSA
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Just visited the Manse again in July and we loved it. I'm so glad they have updated the homestead by converting the barn into a small info center.

Robert our guide was really informative and helpful with his knowledge and I really enjoyed speaking to him about the Pierce's and the home. Honestly, we stopped this time to find out where the Pierce's were buried because I never found that 18 years ago. After they asked if we wanted a tour I told my husband it was really good and we decided to tour along with our son. My son is bored easily with history, but was really into the house and the history behind it.

And when it comes to finding the final resting place of the Pierce family I was left kicking myself in the butt. When I went with my parents as a kid we didn't know that area too well, so we passed on finding it thinking we would never find it. The cemetery is literally the length of a football field away. I would recommend driving there though since you need to cross a major intersection.

The house is rich in family heirlooms and clothing of the period. There are also pictures and tidbits throughout the house to tell the story of the Pierce family. They even let the kids try on a replica of the jacket General Pierce wore in Mexico during the war. My son was really over the moon about that and went home bragging to his friends he wore a President's jacket, HA!

There is a wheelchair ramp outside leading into the house, but there is a staircase to view the upstairs rooms. If you can't get out of the wheelchair I wouldn't recommend that portion of the tour. There is also a cost associated with the tour. Check the link for pricing.

The story of the Pierce family is a really sad one, and unfortunately Franklin Pierce has largely been forgotten by even his own state due to his lack luster presidency. But this shouldn't turn you off to visiting, or even getting to know our 14th President. I don't agree with his views, but they were the views of his time and we have come a long way in the past 160 years.

The day we visited they were repainting the house, so if you visit now the exterior shouldn't really show the wear a family member told me about last summer.

8  Thank lstephenson79
Reviewed February 25, 2012

The Manse offers a look into the life of a forgotten and misunderstood President. The tour showcases the life of a man who tried to be a successful President but is often regarded as a flop. A different insight is provided into his life.

4  Thank RKordziel

Been to Pierce Manse? Share your experiences!